Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor OFF-ROAD (aka Snow mode) for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dimitar.ns

Global Vendor
Apr 19, 2022
Sofia, Bulgaria
With our latest Holiday Update of the S3XY Buttons software, we released a new feature - activating Off-Road.
Tesla made it available exclusively for Model Y for some reason and you cannot activate it in other models but with the S3XY Buttons this is not a limitation anymore.
Everyone can benefit from this mode now!

What is Off-Road mode:
In short - it balances the power of the FRONT and the REAR motors in Dual motor cars in order to prevent slipping and losing control in snow, mud, and ice.
You can see more about the Off-road in Owners Manual here.

How it works:
The power is distributed by the Drive Control Unit which tries to balance the torque of the front and rear motors when accelerating and when decelerating with regen braking.
When accelerating Tesla usually uses rear/front motor in 80/20 and when decelerating it's 100/0 for rear/front in most cases based on a lot of factors.
With Off-road assist enabled the power distribution is almost 50/50 in all cases.

When to use it:
It's useful at low speeds when driving in snow or ice and you need extra grip. If you don't have off-road assist active on Snow and depress the Accelerator pedal the rear of the car will slip and you might lose control.

Note: there are some limitations to other assistant features and the off-road is working only up to 90 km/h so have this in mind when activating the feature. Read more in the Owners Manual here.

Here is a short video of this feature in action. Please, note that the split screen at the end is from one and the same car (Model 3 Performance) with off-road disabled and enabled.
Note how the Torque (rightmost bar) goes equally UP for the Front motor and DOWN for the Rear motor when Off-road is activated.
When the Acceleration pedal is depressed (The blue circle around the speed in the center goes to 0) the Regen kick in and when the off-road is activated the distribution is equal for the Front and Rear motors.

Doesn't off-road mode disable traction control? That seems more dangerous than too much torque to the rear wheels. Having driven my MY in a fair bit of ice and snow, the traction control does a very good job of keeping the car facing the right way. Not sure I'd want that turned off?

Reactions: B_E_V
Doesn't off-road mode disable traction control? That seems more dangerous than too much torque to the rear wheels. Having driven my MY in a fair bit of ice and snow, the traction control does a very good job of keeping the car facing the right way. Not sure I'd want that turned off?
It’s what the manual says but our tests show it’s not turned off and TC is working as expected together with ESP and other stability systems. However we have it in the description until we confirm this. So far off-road seems to be more stable on snow than without it.

@stymeron Traction control in the Model 3 is very conservative, really doesn't allow for much power in a turn, and hates any amount of wheelspin. That is good for avoiding accidental slides and spins, especially when you're tired / sloppy / not paying attention / stuff happens.

It's not good for car control though especially in the slippery stuff. Sometimes some wheelspin is useful or even needed. Sometimes a little sideways action is desirable too. Being able to turn down or off the driver assist nannies is very useful to many of us who learned to drive and control a car control without those things.

This is my first winter with my 2022 MYLR, which is wearing new studded Nokian HAKKAPELIITTA 10 EV winter tires.

I searched for and found this thread because I was surprised when my rear end slid out two days ago. Though the slide stopped around 40 degrees, as did the car, it shocked me given that my speed was probably at most 30 mph. The experience, while not as severe, reminded me of driving rear wheel drive cars without snow tires before anti-lock brakes were available. I don't think the CRV that I was driving for the past decade with studded Nokian tires would have slid out like the Tesla did.

While I own a set of S3XY buttons, yesterday I just tried turning on OFF-ROAD assist using the Tesla menu when I went out last night in similar or worse conditions. Driving with OFF-ROAD assist engaged reminded me of driving my Jeep Cherokee with full-time 4-wheel drive engaged and anti-lock brakes. The only time the MY slid at all was in a snow covered parking lot where I intentionally made a sharp turn while accelerating from parked. When I straightened up the wheel the car did straighten quickly, suggesting but not proving that the computer was helping. The car definitely felt much better driving with OFF-ROAD assist on.

Bottom line, I will try to remember to turn on OFF-ROAD assist whenever I drive on snow covered roads in the future, until Tesla offers a dedicated SNOW mode, or FSD supports bad weather.

The above is basically my experience except that the M3 doesn’t have a menu option to enable OFF-ROAD mode. I can confirm that, when I press the S3XY button that I configured as “TRACTION OFFROAD”, the Model 3 does display OFF-ROAD at the top of the left hand screen between the gear and battery indicators. When I press the button again it goes away. I can distinctly feel the difference; the vehicle seems to put equal torque to each tire and thus loss of traction, if it does occur, is much more predictable in snow or wintry mixed ice. As far as I can tell, the button is the only way I can enable this in the model 3.

Attachments

• 92A98E23-2901-498E-AC0C-EC271951D8F4.png
    92A98E23-2901-498E-AC0C-EC271951D8F4.png
    342.3 KB · Views: 323
  • BBB16BE7-E87F-46D6-B3C5-C60CADBF4BFE.jpeg
    BBB16BE7-E87F-46D6-B3C5-C60CADBF4BFE.jpeg
    425.3 KB · Views: 111
I've driven a couple of times with off-road mode on in the snow. The traction and stability control systems are definitely still active. Maybe they are reduced ever so slightly but so far I haven't felt that much. The car still doesn't want to spin much nor does it let the rear slide much. As was said higher up, it's a more predictable behavior on a slippery surface, closer to expected when used to a Subaru or other such AWD systems. I would not call it off-road, I would call it snow or sand or slippery or full-time awd, similar to what ICE car surface selectors do.

I will use it more during the winter to get more experience.

• Helpful
Reactions: TimTam and tm1v2
This is my first winter with my 2022 MYLR, which is wearing new studded Nokian HAKKAPELIITTA 10 EV winter tires.

I searched for and found this thread because I was surprised when my rear end slid out two days ago. Though the slide stopped around 40 degrees, as did the car, it shocked me given that my speed was probably at most 30 mph. The experience, while not as severe, reminded me of driving rear wheel drive cars without snow tires before anti-lock brakes were available. I don't think the CRV that I was driving for the past decade with studded Nokian tires would have slid out like the Tesla did.

While I own a set of S3XY buttons, yesterday I just tried turning on OFF-ROAD assist using the Tesla menu when I went out last night in similar or worse conditions. Driving with OFF-ROAD assist engaged reminded me of driving my Jeep Cherokee with full-time 4-wheel drive engaged and anti-lock brakes. The only time the MY slid at all was in a snow covered parking lot where I intentionally made a sharp turn while accelerating from parked. When I straightened up the wheel the car did straighten quickly, suggesting but not proving that the computer was helping. The car definitely felt much better driving with OFF-ROAD assist on.

Bottom line, I will try to remember to turn on OFF-ROAD assist whenever I drive on snow covered roads in the future, until Tesla offers a dedicated SNOW mode, or FSD supports bad weather.
Hi,

First winter as well for me with my 2023 MYLR. I would appreciate to have your feedback on the Nokian Hakka 10 (studded) tires, especially concerning noise, riding comfort, snow/ice traction and dry handling at higher speed with your MY.

I went for the Nokian Hakka R5 EV (studless) tires, which are also one of the best, but I still find my MY to be a little tail happy sometimes and it kind of scares me when it happens at higher speed. I was really disapointed when I first realized that it does act like a RWD even though it’s an AWD. I’ve always had true AWD SUVs. I saw a big improvement using chill mode, as well as Off Road Assist, but it looks like I have a hard time being confident enough when there is a lot of compacted snow and ice on the highway.

I was thinking about changing tires for the Nokian Hakka 10 (studded) and then I saw your post. It looks like you’ve had the same issue recenty, even though you have the more agressive winter tires availaible. I thought these and an eventual SNOW MODE update, where the regen would be automatically set to low, would be the final solution. Now I just don’t know what to think anymore..

Thanks for the help!

Hi,

First winter as well for me with my 2023 MYLR. I would appreciate to have your feedback on the Nokian Hakka 10 (studded) tires, especially concerning noise, riding comfort, snow/ice traction and dry handling at higher speed with your MY.

I went for the Nokian Hakka R5 EV (studless) tires, which are also one of the best, but I still find my MY to be a little tail happy sometimes and it kind of scares me when it happens at higher speed. I was really disapointed when I first realized that it does act like a RWD even though it’s an AWD. I’ve always had true AWD SUVs. I saw a big improvement using chill mode, as well as Off Road Assist, but it looks like I have a hard time being confident enough when there is a lot of compacted snow and ice on the highway.

I was thinking about changing tires for the Nokian Hakka 10 (studded) and then I saw your post. It looks like you’ve had the same issue recenty, even though you have the more agressive winter tires availaible. I thought these and an eventual SNOW MODE update, where the regen would be automatically set to low, would be the final solution. Now I just don’t know what to think anymore..

Thanks for the help!
I run studded tires because my long and steep driveway tends to develop black ice when the melt water from snowbanks runs down and across the driveway. IMHO on ice, no other tire is better than studded tires. Off ice, most snow tires are at least as good, and usually better than studded tires.

So far this first mild winter, I've always felt safe going straight up my driveway in the Tesla with Nokian HAKKAPELIITTA 10 EV (studded) tires. The EV traction control engages very well. Much better than my previous 2009 Honda CRV, or the prior Volvo XC70. Going down the driveway the plow usually leaves a bump on the inside of the dog leg turn. When I hit that bump with any speed the Tesla usually slides to the side a foot or two. Scared me a bit the first time. My current thinking is that because the Tesla is so heavy, inertia is more of a problem going around curves than in my previous cars.

I haven't been out in nasty weather again since I posted about my Off Road Assist experience above. However, as I wrote, the Tesla felt far more sure footed and predictable in Off Road Assist mode.

Studded tires are definitely noisy. The factory studded Nokians are noticeably quieter than the studdable tires I used before I switched to Nokians. The new Nokian EV tires are quieter than I expected. However, they are still definitely studded tires. Expect to turn the music volume up.

Studded tires also wear down your driveway and the public roads. Especially just outside our garage, it is easy to see the worn asphalt, which I mostly blame on the studded tires. Many locales now prohibit studded tires for all, or at least part of the year.

Studded tires tend to sacrifice some traction on dry, wet, and snow covered roads compared to equivalent non-studded winter tires. On dry pavement, my old CRV used to very briefly spin the studded tires when I accelerated hard. I have not experienced that with the Tesla. I'm pretty sure both the computer control and the reaction speed of an EV motor are better than a 2009 CRV could offer. I should note that immediately after the Tesla's studded tires were mounted, I went into settings and changed my wheel size. After that reboot I went back in, restored my previous wheel size, and rebooted. So the Tesla knew it had to relearn my wheels and tires before I left the tire dealer's parking lot. I believe a software update since then allows you to tell the Tesla you just mounted different tires. However, I have not needed to look for that feature yet.

I have a hard time being confident enough when there is a lot of compacted snow and ice on the highway.
It is not a race. Drive within your comfort zone. Just because I have a Tesla with studded tires doesn't mean I always drive as fast as the speed limit in bad conditions. Also always remember that you might encounter a Prius with low-rolling-resistance summer tires, or some impatient fool in a lifted pickup truck thinking he is driving a tank.

My first storm in the Tesla I spotted a tree blocking the road ahead. I signaled a left turn, and began a U-turn. Some impatient idiot tried to pass me on the left. We both slammed on the brakes barely in time. Another foot or two and my new car would have been hit. Then the idiot hit the gas and zoomed on down the road. I don't think he had even noticed the tree down yet.

Before going with studded tires ask yourself some questions:
  • Are studded tires legal when and where you drive?
  • Are you willing to give up some traction on dry, wet, and snow covered roads because ice is a more important problem?
  • Will the additional noise drive you crazy?
  • Will additional wear on your driveway drive you crazy?
Bottom line, I recommend all Tesla drivers who can, try Off Road Assist on roads with poor traction. I also recommend WINTER tires for everyone who drives roads covered with snow or ice. However, I don't think studded tires are for everyone. They make icy situations better, but most other situations a bit worse.

I run studded tires because my long and steep driveway tends to develop black ice when the melt water from snowbanks runs down and across the driveway. IMHO on ice, no other tire is better than studded tires. Off ice, most snow tires are at least as good, and usually better than studded tires.

So far this first mild winter, I've always felt safe going straight up my driveway in the Tesla with Nokian HAKKAPELIITTA 10 EV (studded) tires. The EV traction control engages very well. Much better than my previous 2009 Honda CRV, or the prior Volvo XC70. Going down the driveway the plow usually leaves a bump on the inside of the dog leg turn. When I hit that bump with any speed the Tesla usually slides to the side a foot or two. Scared me a bit the first time. My current thinking is that because the Tesla is so heavy, inertia is more of a problem going around curves than in my previous cars.

I haven't been out in nasty weather again since I posted about my Off Road Assist experience above. However, as I wrote, the Tesla felt far more sure footed and predictable in Off Road Assist mode.

Studded tires are definitely noisy. The factory studded Nokians are noticeably quieter than the studdable tires I used before I switched to Nokians. The new Nokian EV tires are quieter than I expected. However, they are still definitely studded tires. Expect to turn the music volume up.

Studded tires also wear down your driveway and the public roads. Especially just outside our garage, it is easy to see the worn asphalt, which I mostly blame on the studded tires. Many locales now prohibit studded tires for all, or at least part of the year.

Studded tires tend to sacrifice some traction on dry, wet, and snow covered roads compared to equivalent non-studded winter tires. On dry pavement, my old CRV used to very briefly spin the studded tires when I accelerated hard. I have not experienced that with the Tesla. I'm pretty sure both the computer control and the reaction speed of an EV motor are better than a 2009 CRV could offer. I should note that immediately after the Tesla's studded tires were mounted, I went into settings and changed my wheel size. After that reboot I went back in, restored my previous wheel size, and rebooted. So the Tesla knew it had to relearn my wheels and tires before I left the tire dealer's parking lot. I believe a software update since then allows you to tell the Tesla you just mounted different tires. However, I have not needed to look for that feature yet.

It is not a race. Drive within your comfort zone. Just because I have a Tesla with studded tires doesn't mean I always drive as fast as the speed limit in bad conditions. Also always remember that you might encounter a Prius with low-rolling-resistance summer tires, or some impatient fool in a lifted pickup truck thinking he is driving a tank.

My first storm in the Tesla I spotted a tree blocking the road ahead. I signaled a left turn, and began a U-turn. Some impatient idiot tried to pass me on the left. We both slammed on the brakes barely in time. Another foot or two and my new car would have been hit. Then the idiot hit the gas and zoomed on down the road. I don't think he had even noticed the tree down yet.

Before going with studded tires ask yourself some questions:
  • Are studded tires legal when and where you drive?
  • Are you willing to give up some traction on dry, wet, and snow covered roads because ice is a more important problem?
  • Will the additional noise drive you crazy?
  • Will additional wear on your driveway drive you crazy?
Bottom line, I recommend all Tesla drivers who can, try Off Road Assist on roads with poor traction. I also recommend WINTER tires for everyone who drives roads covered with snow or ice. However, I don't think studded tires are for everyone. They make icy situations better, but most other situations a bit worse.
This is a very helpful review to me. Thank you a lot for that. Considering all this, I would need studded tires only 10% of the winter season, which is probably not enough to go for it. I already saw a big improvement going from the Pirelli Sottozero 3 to the Nokian Hakka R5, even though I can’t say that it is perfect. I’ll try being patient and see if I can get used to it. Do you think there is any objection using Off Road Assist frequently and also on highway? I can’t find much on the subject.

Thank you

Studded tires wll improve your margin of safety especially on ice, however please always bear in mind that the increased margin of safety should not be considered as a reason to drive faster on packed snow/ice. Often that will lead to regrettable outcomes.

Reactions: TimTam
Studded tires are illegal in some places (e.g. the lower peninsula of Michigan), so having both off-road mode and proper snow tires (e.g. Hakkapeliitas) is extremely helpful. I drove through a freezing rain / snow storm coming up from the lower peninsula and then another delightful blowing/drifting whiteout in the upper peninsula this weekend en route to Ice Fest. I was quite happy to have dedicated snow tires and the magic "quit screwing up my traction" button.

There were people passing me at 90 miles an hour on I-75 with a horse trailer, who nearly jackknifed on the road ahead of me. I was not impressed. I would like to echo 804son's advice not to go too fast regardless of tires. As the signs near accident sites in the UP say, "Snow and ice don't cause accidents. Driving too fast for conditions causes accidents." Studded tires are legal in the UP, and some people still drive too fast for conditions with them. A few of them die.

The magic S3XY button, proper snow tires, and driving an appropriate speed for the weather are all nice ways to manage risk. Some people will do everything wrong and still survive. Some people do everything right and still die. This is true in the mountains and it is true on the roads. But I'd rather stack the deck.

Reactions: AM-can
Do you think there is any objection using Off Road Assist frequently and also on highway? I can’t find much on the subject.
I have only a few days experience using Off Road Assist, so I don't consider myself an expert.

That said, I think the main disadvantage of Off Road Assist is that the car will be slightly less efficient in that mode. If I recall correctly, Tesla used different motors on the front and rear partly to improve efficiency by usually making only the rear motor do work. However, safety is definitely more important than marginal efficiency gains. So when the conditions call for it, I certainly plan to use Off Road Assist in the future.

At least around here, usually when the conditions call for Off Road Assist the highway traffic runs much slower than usual anyway. Until someone finds a warning in the user manual or Tesla UI, I would no more worry about using Off Road Assist than I would about using Chill mode.