Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Off road mode?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Off road mode question:
On slippery icy roads the tail end of my Y seems to kick out occasionally. Putting it into 'off road' helps quit a bit. I guess my question is -- Will there be any harm to leave it in that mode for highway speeds. I'm sure it'll use more 'juice' - but if it helps on icy bridges and shaded mountain passes - that would be an important safety factor. Especially that PB is more prevalent. ??? thoughts ??? No, I don't have snow tires, and don't intend to buy them - I don't use the car that often when the weather turns bad. But I sometimes get 'stuck' with bad weather when returning home.

Off road mode question:
On slippery icy roads the tail end of my Y seems to kick out occasionally. Putting it into 'off road' helps quit a bit. I guess my question is -- Will there be any harm to leave it in that mode for highway speeds. I'm sure it'll use more 'juice' - but if it helps on icy bridges and shaded mountain passes - that would be an important safety factor. Especially that PB is more prevalent. ??? thoughts ??? No, I don't have snow tires, and don't intend to buy them - I don't use the car that often when the weather turns bad. But I sometimes get 'stuck' with bad weather when returning home.
You know, that’s a really great question. It probably sends more power to the front motor than the rear motor to stop the rear from kicking out.

But it also probably kicks off once you have traction. Someone more versed than I can correct me if I’m wrong?

We use Off Road Assist only on gravel roads or snow/ice covered roads, not on pavement. The stock "all season" tires work well on our Model Y, but we use snow tires in the winter for peace of mind, and so we don't have to chain up when "Chains Required, Except All Wheel Drive with Snow Tires" is posted on our mountain passes. However, we still carry Auto Socks, a legal alternative to tire chains, in winter. They are easier to put on and take off than tire chains, work great, and are available at many tire stores and on Amazon. You never know when "Chains Required, on all vehicles" might be posted, or you get stuck in someones unplowed driveway!