Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Off road versions of x/y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tander

Jul 23, 2012
Just wondering if anyone has heard or thinks Tesla might do off road versions of x or y. My guess is never or not for a long time, might be too nichey for now and they'll just wait for the truck. But I was thinking it'd be cool if they did off road packages. X could make a killer off-roader if you traded some luxury/efficiency for ruggedness but I don't know. Looking forward to doing some sun powered overlanding some day.

From my experience the X is a pretty fantastic off roader. Adjustable air suspension, great torque and throttle control. The traction control system is awesome for going up hills.

I've taken it off paved roads a few times, and it was remarkable. Did not use it as a rock crawler, but for getting around back country unpaved roads it did great. No need for a reduction gear, as the maximum torque is available from 0 rpm.

Even the GPS showed where the roads were going and how to get back.

From my experience the X is a pretty fantastic off roader. Adjustable air suspension, great torque and throttle control. The traction control system is awesome for going up hills.

I've taken it off paved roads a few times, and it was remarkable. Did not use it as a rock crawler, but for getting around back country unpaved roads it did great. No need for a reduction gear, as the maximum torque is available from 0 rpm.

Even the GPS showed where the roads were going and how to get back.
Yeah even as they come from the factory they seem relatively capable and if you could just put smaller wheels/larger tires on an x I bet that alone would make it better than a Jeep Grand Cherokee in a lot of situations. Will be interesting to see what they come up with in the future. Hope somebody will take salvage title x and turn it into a rock crawler in the meantime.

Yeah nice find. Looks like those tires are still pretty low profile but they look pretty rugged. Saw a Toyota Highlander Hybrid on a really rough section of forest service road last weekend that looked almost the same, stock but with tougher tires/wheels. Seemed to be doing just fine even though most of the other rigs were trucks/4x4s. Wonder if it's possible to easily remove the bottom of the bumpers to improve angles on an x.

I don't see this happening anytime real soon with the current energy density in the batteries. I'd have beyond major range anxiety in the middle of nowhere overlanding in an electric vehicle. We have a 200 series Land Cruiser and I get range anxiety in that thing (and carry extra fuel) even with gas stations all over the place.

Reactions: coleAK
Have you not seen this picture?
JR674ML.jpg

First off #7 looks photoshopped.

I off road regularly to get to fishing, camping, hiking, biking, hunting. I’ll replace my rig when there is essentially an EV Toyota landcruiser in terms of capability and capacity (the model 3 is my wife’s). I’m keeping my fingers crossed on the Tesla truck/van platform.

In theory the indipendent front and rear motors could give the same effect as a locking center diff. The problems would be around the fact it has open front and rear diffs. Although I don’t know any of any of the specs of the diffs on the Tesla’s. If they were both Torsen, that could be overcome with software and e-lockers like the crawl control on my 200 series LX570. So far I am extremely impressed with the traction of our model 3 AWD when starting on ice and traveling in a straight line. Cornering not as much but I’m still forming an opinion.

I’ll agree a model X with AT tires could probably compete with the current grand Cherokee off road. I had a 2012 trailhalk for a short time (long story) that was terrable off road. The viscous coupled center diff overheated in sand mode when driving in the sand and would “shutdown”. Although the suspension could be raised it had the feel of a pogo stick with very limited articulation. It felt very uneasy and having a wheel off the ground was common, for this reason in general air suspensions are not great off road.

Hahaha isn’t that a Pontiac Aztec? Or a Honda ridge line with a topper?

No it’s deffinetly an Aztec. Funny the model X does look a lot like an Aztec. I guess Pontiac was 10-15 ahead of its time (too much ahead given Aztec sales)