Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Off-the-floor, magnetic cable keeper (DIY charging station)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just sharing our home charging station setup for anyone out there looking for ideas. I am 100% open to suggestions and criticisms of how I could improve/do better/fix something wrong.

Goals
  1. super easy to use: I do not want to deal with coiling cables. I want to be able to plug and unplug with one hand.
  2. allow access: cables must be off the floor and allow pedestrian access through the garage i.e. loading something on the trunk
  3. easy to detach: I want to bring the UMC with me on long road trips, so the setup has to be non permanent

Here's the setup

The UMC is plugged up high, coils on a platform overhead, then drops back down and dangles against a wall pad. The cable is held in place with a magnet.

r/teslamotors - Off-the-floor, magnetic cable keeper (DIY charging station)
When I need to charge, I just pull on the charging handle and the cable detaches. When finished, I let the charging handle rest on the wall pad and then reattach the cable magnets.

I installed a plywood platform in between garage door rails to hold the cable coil. The platform hides the cables from view. The cables are held together with quick release clips. I used a plastic conduit (liquid-tight) as a "strain relief" and also to protect the cable from the sharp edges of the plywood.

The magnet is attached to the cable via tape. Not elegant, but it works so far. I am open to a better solution. The magnet latches on to a piece of metal I screwed in to the wall.

Things I've learned

• magnet has to be fairly strong, and the metal should be substantial. The cables are heavy.
  • I tried using retractable cable holders for VR headsets but the springs were too weak. Retractable cables would have affected pedestrian access anyway, so I'm glad I went with the magnet solution.
  • I think I want a "holster" instead of a wall pad. Plugging in is a one step operation, but stowing the charger requires guiding the handle carefully towards the wall pad and then latching the magnet. It can be done with one hand, but it's not as easy. I am looking for ideas for a better "holster" design.

Reactions: phaheem and tmec
I love the creativity and ingenuity with home charger installs. We’re all like modern day MacGyvers.
This seems fairly permanent if you want to easily take the mobile charger with you but my main question is why a magnet for the cord and not a hook? A hook would help make holstering the end a single operation since the magnet placement has to be awfully precise.

I love the creativity and ingenuity with home charger installs. We’re all like modern day MacGyvers.
This seems fairly permanent if you want to easily take the mobile charger with you but my main question is why a magnet for the cord and not a hook? A hook would help make holstering the end a single operation since the magnet placement has to be awfully precise.

I was using a hook instead of a magnet before, but that needed two hands to operate - one to hold the charger handle and the other to unhook the cable. With a magnet, I just have to yank on the charger handle and the cable pops off. Granted, it is awkward to put the cable back on with one hand with a magnetic setup like this, but it's the same thing with a hook.