Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Off Topic: car wash service at a Supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also think putting the chargers behind the stores kind of in the truck delivery area was not the smartest location. I think the proposal included things like security camera and lighting and forget who's responsibility it is for patroling the parking lots downtown. For this kind of theft there that's really bad for the City of Los Gatos and sure to give them a black eye especially with the affluent residents/shoppers downtown. Can't imagine Tesla is too happy over this either. One step away from car break-ins in my mind (going from corporate to individuals). At least the chargers there are back-in ones so if you need to leave quickly you're pulling forward. I'm not sure I would feel comfortable charging at night, getting some coffee at Starbucks and returning to my car alone.
Brainstorming: These ideas are good for a number of SuperChargers, but are thought of in particular for this one:

This might be a good location for a professional service, such as hand wash exterior of the car. They could put a drive-through sprayer by the Safeway entrance, and if you want to wash, you give the attendant your money, he puts a cone in a supercharger stall, you go drive through the sprayers, then come back and park in the stall with the cone, and then go where you are going. They would have to wear clothing that doesn't have sharp edges or metal so that if they brush up against another car while hand washing yours, they don't damage it. Having the spray area by Safeway is where the least amount of cars and plants would be hurt by overspray. The atendants and hand-washers would effectively be watching your car for you. You could stay inside and let them wipe around you, or you could go outside and come back.

The market segment would be Tesla drivers that want to have a nice looking car that very day, such as going to or from Santa Cruz, Los Gatos, or Silicon Valley. The tree shade would be a nice change of pace for both the hand-wash recipients and the hand-washers for half the day (sun makes it in the other half the day). A temporary tent structure could be erected attached to anchor points over all the Tesla charging spots and some finished-charging spots for the washers to do their job without letting the sun bake in emulsified stains into your car paint and without the people working getting sunburns.

Typical staffing would be one person who does everything, and grow and shrink from there as needed.

If Tesla hires a security guard, then the car wash people can subcontract with Tesla to do security, and they serve a dual purpose. They would be trained in car washes and catching thieves (by "catching" I mean giving timely reports to police, identifying accoplices, etc.) This would help offset the low incomes from simple car washes, and the car washes would help offset the cost of the security aspect to Tesla.

I still think spraying special-purpose thief prevention filler insulation into all the cabinets and pedestals to make the wires nearly impossible to get to would help. Once the thieves break in, they would see all that stuff, and if it is the right consitency, could really interfere with the thieves. It would have to be easy for maintenance workers to remove.