Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Off topic galore

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No its a real question. I have asked the same thing multiple times over the years on this thread. Its about liability, when FSD is involved in an accident with a casualty, and it will happen, who is liable? Because the NTSB is snooping around, now some here are thinking about the same question. Kudos to Tesla for being careful in choosing Beta testers, it tells me Elon and his management team are thinking about the same question too.

To think a jury of 12 people will not emotionally react to such an event is naïve, ignorant or stupid, take your pick. This is the country where McDonalds lost a suit because they made the coffee too hot.

My Tesla stock has rewarded me very well by the way, thank you for the advice.
Not this BS again.

Please, if you're going to spout off on the McDonald's coffee lawsuit, have a clue what it was really about: an arrogant corporation's greed. The hidden assumption is that by serving coffee at dangerously hot temperature, there would be far less "free" coffee consumed so that's exactly what McD's did, despite a long history of severe burns--over 700 in the years prior.

See:

And:

And:

And:

Not this BS again.

Please, if you're going to spout off on the McDonald's coffee lawsuit, have a clue what it was really about: an arrogant corporation's greed. The hidden assumption is that by serving coffee at dangerously hot temperature, there would be far less "free" coffee consumed so that's exactly what McD's did, despite a long history of severe burns--over 700 in the years prior.

See:

And:

And:

And:

Nice, I had never read the whole story. So it is not a frivolous lawsuit after all.

Other documents obtained from McDonald's showed that from 1982 to 1992 the company had received more than 700 reports of people burned by McDonald's coffee to varying degrees of severity, and had settled claims arising from scalding injuries for more than $500,000.[2] McDonald's quality control manager, Christopher Appleton, testified that this number of injuries was insufficient to cause the company to evaluate its practices. He argued that all foods hotter than 130 °F (54 °C) constituted a burn hazard, and that restaurants had more pressing dangers to worry about. The plaintiffs argued that Appleton conceded that McDonald's coffee would burn the mouth and throat if consumed when served.[2][20]

it is still unclear in the multiple articles why they served the Cofee so hot

Here, read this and maybe you'll gain a greater understanding...

I looked at that page, I do not know exactly what I gained, but it certainly wasn't "greater understanding" ! o_O
I do know what I lost: a few minutes of my life, while staring into the rabbit hole of some warped mind... :eek:

• Funny
Reactions: kcveins
Continuing in this thread the discussion about international aspects impacting Tesla, and in particular the role of the SWIFT system in US foreign policy in response to my post on the current US administration being so oddly anti Tesla *and* anti SpaceX
There are a fair number of exaggerations and mistakes in this post. As one example the SWIFT system had nothing to do with the US$ nor the US at all. SWIFT had Scandinavian roots and has always had a strong European structure. It si worldwide and includes all tradable currencies. There are more problems than that, but this one is a good example of how easy it is to overstate political opposition to environmental progress.

The truth is hazardous enough without exaggerating the reality. I don't dismiss risks, and there is serious risk regarding positive governmental actions in most of the world. Still, we should not be completely dismissive of potential progresss.

Since I live between two of the worst offenders in the US and Brazil, perhaps it is odd I'm naive to suggest things might not be totally bleak. I admit I also have some very dark days.

OTOH, BEV manufacture is growing rapidly, renewables and already cheaper than are fossil fuels for energy production, so even recidivist governments are relenting a bit.
@jbcarioca: I may have had the same reaction way back, being brought up in a family and social system where my reality was what I experienced in my upbringing - which turned out to be super biased...

[ Disclaimer: this is all my opinion, based on what I have observed, not claiming I am right, even 50%, but I *do* believe personally, possibly erroneously -I have made my share of mistakes- I am mostly right] .. anyways .. To delve first into SWIFT.

The SWIFT system is really a major asset to enforce foreign policy - forcing all international transactions to be denominated in US Dollars means they have to go through the SWIFT system, and if the powers that be (PTB) decide to block all transactions it practically isolates your country from any foreign trade - for example see North Korea, and previously Cuba.

Another blatant example, irrefutable thanks to these Panama Papers leaks " ..showed that Libya’s plan to create a gold-backed currency was a motive for NATO’s intervention. Libyan leader Muammar al-Gaddafi, murdered by Western-backed rebels on October 20, 2011, planned to create a gold-backed African currency to compete with the dollar and euro "
This should not be all that news if you have read "Confessions of an Economic Hit Man" (which of course the PTB have tried to debunk, but historical facts are tough to debunk /s).

The SWIFT system actually needs to be seen in the larger context of the US foreign policy, here's an account from a Croatian ex general whose historical perspective is worth studying. Pretty rough writing, but interesting because it's his personal research/ experience, which in a sense is more valuable than the polished studies of well funded institutions who clearly have their carefully vetted versions to sell ... History of US foreign policies

OK - hopefully we stay out of debating politics as normally understood ( "The Rashomon Effect - multiple simultaneous contradictory truth are possible" ) and instead see what we can learn from contemplating differing points of view at the same time.

Last edited:
My girlfriend keeps saying stuff like this. Over the past year or so we've both been noticing a LOT more Tesla's out and about. It's like they are breeding faster than rabbits!

It's one reason why I'm going to order my LR MY in red. The majority of Teslas on the road are white, black, and gray, and red seems to be the rarest color choice. I'd like to see Austin have a new color or two to choose from but I doubt that will happen.
Stainless steel is a color.
(And will be rare for a brief time)

Nobody buys Cybertrucks anymore, the wait list is too long
-Y0g1 B3rr@

• Funny
Reactions: Artful Dodger
O dear, what holds the future for us, you not ending with /rant off.
:) That was intentional, but negated by @hobbes
Totally agree. To expand on that, there has been a tendency here of some posters picking on people who provide content (Troy, Sawyer...) but also make mistakes/have weaknesses. People are not either totally good or bad, noone is perfect. I much prefer to have criticisim of certain statements that are wrong/misleading so we can filter the content that is helpful instead of distructive criticism of a person as a whole. /rant off

Reactions: Maarten