Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Off topic galore

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FYI, the two people in the car were in fact very skilled drivers, including the actor Paul Walker. Simply, the driver was speeding and lost control of the car, which burst into flames. I don’t recall if they were both knocked unconscious and/or also trapped in the car.

People make bad choices all the time, even in 4 cylinder beater cars that can’t accelerate as fast as a fat man walking backwards.

Your points are at best, moot.
Not quite that simple. Too fast for conditions, but one of tye conditions was unexpected. Tires were original, 9 years old, no grip.

The Truth Behind What Caused Paul Walker's Fatal Crash
Paul Walker's daughter wins $10.1M crash settlement

Ahem.
There was an accident, I think roughly a year ago, involving one of the actors who was in the Fast and Furious franchise. He and his passenger were dead, dead, dead after the Extremely Sporty Car the actor was driving went out of control and wrapped itself thoroughly around a tree somewhere in California. The road was, I think, a somewhat curvy road through a manicured industrial district, on the flat, I think.
Interestingly, either the anti-skid had been disabled or the car didn't have it (can't remember which), the better to do 4-wheel drifts through turns until, of course, the road turned but the car didn't. Comments by disinterested observers of this type of car reported that, if memory serves, "Only extremely skilled drivers should be driving this car; it's dangerous for others to even try." Yes, the car had an Extremely Good Suspension and Handling; but it also had Supercar-style horsepower that, with a bit of light pushing around on the accelerator, would break traction on the driven rear wheels without any trouble whatsoever.
Which brings the S.O. in the house to the fore. She happens to be a Human Factors engineer; one of those people who design systems and machines to work with humans. You know - humans who have reaction time, psychology, muscle strength, eyeballs, and all that jazz. Being around her has sensitized me to the issues.
The field was founded back in the early days of WWII when Too Many Airplanes Were Crashing. In those airplanes, it wasn't just that different manufacturers were putting different gauges in different places, or had levers that did things that ran opposite to how other manufacturers did things, so that muscle memory learned on one aircraft would get one dead on another. That was bad enough: But other things.. Like how fast and under what circumstances the airplane would move when the ailerons/rudder/elevators were incompatible with how and how fast, or slow, humans could react. It is very definitely possible to build an aircraft that, despite having controls in all the right places, is dangerous as all get-out for a human to drive.
In fact, as an aside, we all know of a vehicle exactly like that: It has been stated, multiple times, that the late, lamented space shuttle of NASA fame was impossible to fly from orbit to the ground without letting the Computer Do It. Humans are simply not capable of being part of the direct control loop. At least, with the Space Shuttle.
So, back in WWII, physiologists, medical doctors, psychologists, physicists, mechanical engineers, and aeronautical engineers collaborated upon the problem and came up with recommendations and standards. As a result, airplanes became slightly safer to fly around. (This was WWII, after all). But those standards about instrument and control placement are followed to the present day. Nowadays, specialized engineers of the Human Factors type get involved in the design, early on. And, yeah, the coursework they take is somewhat eclectic; they're usually grouped as a subspeciality of Industrial Engineering.
So, just like it's possible to build an airplane to Not Be Usable By Humans, it is very definitely possible to build a car that is difficult, impossible, or just plain dangerous to put a human inside. I would hazard that things just Happening Too Darn Fast would be the first problem; but, under the folder of, "What could possibly go wrong?" things happening too slow, or with too much delay, coupled with other things.. it can get bad, in a hurry.
There's Reasons an M3P rigged for track mode has to go through lots of steps to disable the anti-skid and, normally, "regular" Teslas, all of which have serious horsepower available, drive around with anti-skid up and operating. Putting a 900 HP motor in a car? Um. In Elmer Fudd mode, "Be Wery, Wery Careful."
First off: 900 HP at speed = 0 is likely to break traction right off. So, the HP has to be reduced, lots. As the speed increases, more of the power from the car goes to pushing air out of the way; at some velocity, say, 600 HP might be going to pushing air, then 300 HP to the tires. Um. How much HP would break traction at, say, 100 mph? 150 mph? Does the full 900 HP ever actually get used? If not, then why have it there? And then there's the questions about driveability, as in that late lamented actor/driver. You get the idea.
Since I've started to respond...
HP=torque*RPM/5252
There is no such thing as HP at speed=0, only torque.

HP to push air still goes through the tires. At top speed, all power is being used to overcome aero and other losses. Under that, additional power yields additional acceleration. Breaking traction at any speed requires torque > tire grip. As speed increases, this corresponds to more HP.

Aircraft build for maneuverability and rockets are completely different control systems from cars. Cars are stable unless disturbed and speed is not required for operation. If you can drive on an icy surface with a V8, then you can drive a high HP car on dry roads (once you adjust to steering ratio and pedal/ power curve). Driving a vehicle at the performance limits is aided by stability and traction control systems.

Reactions: JRP3
CC037325-10C7-4595-B0BE-ADC05CF62015.png

Impressive Elon Musk managed to get Yelp to close JP Morgan comments on their page because of everyone rushing to give them 1 star review. Elon musk has the same online power Freddy Mercury had on stage.

Or the tiny Wallbox that came with my Volvo or the ten-year-old Bosch unit I put in for my P85D in 2014.
Almost all the AC units I have seen have been far smaller and less obtrusive than the Ford unit.
To be fair, many public AC units are mounted in a slightly obtrusive way because they need to be conspicuous.
Ford made a knockoff but so what? 'Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery'.
After all driving a Ford Lightning past the former Tesla HQ on Deer Creek Road without comment is another example of 'sincere flattery'
Really, is not Ford giving Tesla free positive PR? Not as good a VAG's Diess but still quite positive.
Time for a Model Y vs Mach-E charging comparison video....

• Funny
Reactions: jbcarioca
So I went to a party tonight, a pretty interesting group of folks. I would say half hard core conservative Republican, and half hard core liberal Democrats. When I walked in, the conversation turned to Elon Musk. Honest to goodness it wasn’t me who brought the subject up. One fellow mentions that Elon should be elected President. Almost everyone chimed in to agree.

I think Elon is winning over the public.

Barring a Constitutional Amendment, Elon can not be elected POTUS because he was born in S. Africa to Canadian and S. African parents.

HOWEVER, Elon has informed us that probability theory dictates the MOST entertaining outcome is the most likely, its more likely we'll see another Cowboy President:

kimbal-musk-restaurant-closure-coronavirus.jpg

Ronnie Ray-gun was also a transplanet Californian. Plus, Kimbal has that $100M war chest now to fund a Presidential election campaign. Jus' sayin'. :p

Cheers!

• Funny
Reactions: AZRI11
Barring a Constitutional Amendment, Elon can not be elected POTUS because he was born in S. Africa to Canadian and S. African parents.

HOWEVER, Elon has informed us that probability theory dictates the MOST entertaining outcome is the most likely, its more likely we'll see another Cowboy President:

kimbal-musk-restaurant-closure-coronavirus.jpg

Ronnie Ray-gun was also a transplanet Californian. Plus, Kimbal has that $100M war chest now to fund a Presidential election campaign. Jus' sayin'. :p

Cheers!
Wouldn't Kimbal's birthplace have the same effect on eligibility as Elon's?

• Funny
Reactions: Artful Dodger
???????
😜😜😜
What in the name of #$&@ is Barra saying?

They have the most battery fires of any EV maker.

They have the heaviest battery pack, heaviest, and least efficient EV available for consumers to purchase. Nobody else is even close.

This is true leadership. It shows their boldness and risk taking nature. Merely leading in “sales” is easy, pushing forward in spite of a lack of aptitude or competence requires real initiative which Tesla lacks.

They have the most battery fires of any EV maker.

They have the heaviest battery pack, heaviest, and least efficient EV available for consumers to purchase. Nobody else is even close.

This is true leadership. It shows their boldness and risk taking nature. Merely leading in “sales” is easy, pushing forward in spite of a lack of aptitude or competence requires real initiative which Tesla lacks.
Don't forget they also have the hottest EV on the market -- it is so hot it is literally on fire !

• Funny
Reactions: EV forever
Taxpayers have benefited immensely from Tesla’s success. 100,000+ directly through employment, 100s of thousands more through being contractors and service providers, and nearly every individual employee and contractor will pay a significant personal tax burden Federally and to California, Nevada, or New York (and do begins the government machine of wealth redistribution that arguably benefits EVERY taxpayer). That’s on top of various sales taxes levied on consumers buying the cars, solar, storage, etc. products.

And no, until now Elon has not paid zero. This is not the first time he has exercised options and/or sold shares. He also paid boat loads on his last exits of PayPal, Zip2, and other endeavors. That again on top of any sales taxes he has paid from his consumption of goods and services (eg, private jets and security aren’t cheap and believe me their use comes with a lot of tax generation).

So, not sure why “Easy there fella” was necessary…
With all the nonsense getting thrown around from all sides, it's important to at least have agreement on numbers. Nobody likes taxes, but all this Cheney era war spending needs to be paid off by someone.

Elon paid maybe $100-200k in federal income taxes from 2014-now. A period in which he accumulated nearly $300B in wealth. His actual overall effective tax rate is hard to nail down, but it's somewhere between 1% and 4% of his total wealth.

Not saying I want to tax his wealth, just saying it's not currently being taxed. People shouldn't make posts implying he has onerous tax bills, he doesn't. Even this recent twitter tax tantrum where he's kinda maxing out his liability is what....5% of the wealth accumulated?

With all the nonsense getting thrown around from all sides, it's important to at least have agreement on numbers. Nobody likes taxes, but all this Cheney era war spending needs to be paid off by someone.

Elon paid maybe $100-200k in federal income taxes from 2014-now. A period in which he accumulated nearly $300B in wealth. His actual overall effective tax rate is hard to nail down, but it's somewhere between 1% and 4% of his total wealth.

Not saying I want to tax his wealth, just saying it's not currently being taxed. People shouldn't make posts implying he has onerous tax bills, he doesn't. Even this recent twitter tax tantrum where he's kinda maxing out his liability is what....5% of the wealth accumulated?
From 2014-2018 Elon paid nearly $500M in income taxes, the most of which was Federal Income Tax. That’s been hashed out several times (by Propublica if you wanted to find it yourself).

By end of 2018 Tesla was worth what… 60B? Elon worth maybe $12B?

So, yes we can have agreement on numbers, and the ones you’re spreading are wrong.

Main point being, he and the people he employs, and the adjacent service providers that work with them, pay plenty of income, healthcare, consumption based taxes.

From 2014-2018 Elon paid nearly $500M in income taxes, the most of which was Federal Income Tax. That’s been hashed out several times (by Propublica if you wanted to find it yourself).

By end of 2018 Tesla was worth what… 60B? Elon worth maybe $12B?

So, yes we can have agreement on numbers, and the ones you’re spreading are wrong.

Main point being, he and the people he employs, and the adjacent service providers that work with them, pay plenty of income, healthcare, consumption based taxes.
Pardon me, I misread the propublica quote of 70k in 2015 and 2017, then nothing in 2018. 2016 was a $1B exercise.

Regardless.....the propublica article you cite has him paying 3.27% in taxes, and that was before his wealth did the mega 12x in 2020.

So to date we're at what.....<1%? Is a capitalist democracy sustainable when the wealthiest person in the mix is paying <1%?

The ProPublica report alleged that Musk, who’s worth $152 billion, paid less than $70,000 in federal income tax in 2015 and 2017, and nothing at all in 2018. He did seem to have paid his due in 2016 when he exercised more than $1 billion in stock options. But his overall “true tax rate” for the five-year period between 2014 and 2018, calculated as the amount of tax paid divided by increase in net worth, is only 3.27 percent, much lower than an average American household.

You sound like the people that said Tesla lost $4000 for every car they sold (or whatever number it was) back in 2015.

You are using the wrong number to divide into.

He hasn't paid the taxes on all that stock yet because it hasn't all vested yet and he doesn't have access to all of it yet.

If you use the number based on shares he has exercised his tax is over 50%, not the single digits you came up with.

Every once in a while, more shares will mature and he'll pay more taxes. As that happens if you keep dividing by all the years he's been with Tesla the apparent % tax you are looking at will continue to increase as it approaches the true tax rate.

Last edited: