Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Off topic galore

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is way off topic so 1 question: How long does it take to deorbit from 90 km just due to atmospheric drag?

"Due to atmospheric drag, the lowest altitude above the Earth at which an object in a circular orbit can complete at least one full revolution without propulsion is approximately 150 km (93 mi) while the lowest perigee of an elliptical revolution is approximately 90 km (56 mi)"​

Orbital decay

Okay, I'll agree, for the sake of the forum, that it IS way off topic. 😁

Since we inda 'zone now, I'll answer the question: anything in a cirular orbit below 150 km, or an elipitical orbit with a perigee of less than 90 km, will deorbit in less than 1 orbit due to atmospheric drag. And that's from ORBITAL speed, not a paltry Mach 2ish.

Sir Richard never left Earth's atmosphere, by it's functional definition (ie: it's effect on sattelites).

Cheers!

Since we inda 'zone now, I'll answer the question: anything in a cirular orbit below 150 km, or an elipitical orbit with a perigee of less than 90 km, will deorbit in less than 1 orbit due to atmospheric drag. And that's from ORBITAL speed, not a paltry Mach 2ish.

Sir Richard never left Earth's atmosphere, by it's functional definition (ie: it's effect on sattelites).

Cheers!

Disagreement by reference: [1807.07894] The edge of space: Revisiting the Karman Line

• Informative
Reactions: JRP3
So far I'm content with sitting on a big rock hurling trough space at a gazillion mph.

The Virgin ride might be not much more than a fairground ride in some peoples view - but I think it's pretty cool and very well done.

Unfortunately - knowing how I react in fairgrounds I believe it would be a real Vomit Comet for me so I'll rather look into yachts, RVs and mountains.

Next time someone tells you Tesla has a demand problem tell them you wish they had a demand problem so they could use the excess battery capacity to sell more higher margin battery storage. Then just wait to see what they say.

Berlin was most definately on the Eastern side of the Iron curtain. The dainty Germans you speak of may be from NABU...
I think you meant Naboo. /s (this is a movie reference)

Only half of it. The other half was curtained with a wall (which they let the Russians pay for).
The Brandenburg property home to Giga Berlin was in the East. Here's a map of the post-WW2 inner-German border:

Germany_occupation_zones_with_border.jpg

Does anyone have insight into how Chinese consumers travel? I'd guess that they don't make the same sort of long trips like we do in the US or even Europe.
At least in Beijing, people sit in traffic all day. Alternative transportation includes fighting a circus trying to get on the subway or the local bus. This is why bicycle/mopeds are faster...however you lose face in China and are seen as a pesant if you don't own a car, so branding is important. Also the city street is practically unbreathable as pollution from subpar emission trash mopeds and cars create an atmosphere of poison.

The car is important as well to become an eligible bachelor. However getting a plate in major city is difficult as the government is trying to curb pollution and traffic. There are also laws in which you can't drive your car every day so it depends on the number on the plate. Sometimes it can take years through the lottery system for a plate. This makes getting an EV compelling as plates are easier to come by.

Yeah its a cluster F and people generally buy cars just show off more than it being all that useful..but all options suck so..

At least in Beijing, people sit in traffic all day. Alternative transportation includes fighting a circus trying to get on the subway or the local bus. This is why bicycle/mopeds are faster...however you lose face in China and are seen as a pesant if you don't own a car, so branding is important.

The car is important as well to become an eligible bachelor. However getting a plate in major city is difficult as the government is trying to curb pollution and traffic. There are also laws in which you can't drive your car every day so it depends on the number on the plate. Sometimes it can take years through the lottery system. This makes getting an EV compelling as plates are easier to come by.

Yeah its a cluster F and people generally buy cars just show off more than it being all that useful..but all options suck so..
Sounds like Singapore when i used to live there....The country only allocates a certain number of 'driving permits' a year and you have to go bid for the right to own and operate a vehicle...sometimes the costs top $100k just to be able to drive in Singapore.

Sounds like Singapore when i used to live there....The country only allocates a certain number of 'driving permits' a year and you have to go bid for the right to own and operate a vehicle...sometimes the costs top $100k just to be able to drive in Singapore.
That's because Singapore makes car drivers pay for the road cost while those who don't own cars don't need too through taxation. It's like a libertarian style when it comes to road tax.

In China it's about pollution and traffic. There are way too many people and the hwy system can't handle it.

Cool, how much would that cost Ford?
Huh, this could be a new Bucket List item for me.

- Best guitar player (on Nextdoor local area).
- Top TSLA Analyst (that's not officially an "Analyst" or called that in their name.)
- Oldest person to deep water start, single slalom (has potential, we'll see).
- ... behind a fully electric boat, no doubt.

The list goes on - in my mind...
You'd be in god company, look at this garbage: 13 Of The Most Ridiculous World Records Held By America

When I was a lad GWR meant something, was all about the tallest, shortest, strongest, fastest, now it's mostly dips hit ideas that nobody thought of before
- the worlds longest booger
- the most pairs of socks worn in a single day
- most litres of beer drunk in 24 hours (actually I may hold that one)

That's because Singapore makes car drivers pay for the road cost while those who don't own cars don't need too through taxation. It's like a libertarian style when it comes to road tax.

In China it's about pollution and traffic. There are way too many people and the hwy system can't handle it.
There's way too many people in Singapore as well...owning a car is 'elite status' even if its a POS Toyota, Ford, etc :)

That's such a great story...mine goes like this:

11 year old son: Dad, girls like popular guys right?
Me: Nah, they like the smart ones because they know those are the ones that will be successful and make it in life
9 year old daughter: Well......Dad isn't smart and Mom still married him :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
I'm jealous of any coherent conversation. I'm in the midst of:

It proves they're full of shite. The team stated:

“This record is about demonstrating that electric cars are now viable for everyone. Not just for short urban trips to work or the shops or as a second car, but for real-world use on long cross-country journeys."​

Yes, long cross-country journeys at 31 mph. For that "real-world use," Mockee is perfect.

Your use of "Mockee" sent my mind to an image of Alice's Mock Turtle from Wonderland.

MockTurtle.jpg

Look for something like this to replace the Pony as the emblem on Ford's record-setting BEV in the future as it represents the pace of a turtle with all the excitement a cow might possibly generate. The tears also seem a somehow appropriate representation of the owner's charging experience.

Last edited: