Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Off topic galore

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had to break hard to avoid hitting a deer that ran out in front of me and now no FSD Beta, womp.

Love that we are under performing the market by a factor of 3 today.
Same, although for me it was two bucks fighting and they ran across one way and then back the other way a few seconds later. Living in the mountains is not good apparently and it is pretty sensitive. It has dinged me for hard braking on most of my drives, and I am guessing it is the tight winding roads and animals.

What I'm hoping for this evening.

Now accepting DOGE for cars.
Free Supercharging at AMC Theaters when buying a ticket.
Robotaxi to take kids without a drivers license to Gamestop.
Cybertruck steel sourced from Cleveland Cliffs
Tesla phone partnership with Blackberry.

🔥Short burn of the millennium 🔥
🚀 🚀 🚀 🚀 🚀 🚀 🚀 🚀 🚀 🚀

🙌 🔹

I would settle for the ability to leave my car plugged in at the Supercharger in the parking lot of my local AMC for the duration of a movie.

#1 it is not the part you quoted at all. (Edit... NM, your post was cut off above what I quoted I see you included a bunch in there)
#2 "Dead in the water" and delayed are the same thing. If you are delayed you aren't moving forward. If you are Dead in the water, you are not moving forward...
FWIW from a boater:
If a ship loses all propulsion, it's dead in the water.
If a boat is under sail (or other secondary propulsion) because the engine died, it is delayed.
If a sailboat is not moving due to lack of wind, it is becalmed.

Tesla was never dead in the water.
Dead in the water definition and meaning | Collins English Dictionary
If you say that someone or something is dead in the water, you are emphasizing that they have failed, and that there is little hope of them being successful in the future.

Clearly you have never supercharged a 2014 S60, lol.
Word, I just drove my 2015 70D (100% charge ~225) to NY Long Island and Catskills and back last week, and had two long charges worth reporting:
  • 35 to 181 at Mt. Jackson, VA = 0:54
  • 38 to 161 at Lynchburg, VA = 0:42
  • 40 to 209 at Moosic, NY = 1:00+, not sure exactly, I was having a nice lunch at Harvest Grill where a friend’s son cooks 50 yds away
Otoh, I made it to York, PA on the way up with 1:30 charging on a 7:00 drive which I consider only an extra 0:30 for charging beyond breaks I would have taken anyway.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Is the 737 max autonomous?
if so, it needs improvement.
Interestingly enough, the problems with the Max were due to mistakes in the way the trim was modified so the flight dynamics to make it feel the same for human pilots as legacy 737.

Had it been legal to have fully autonomous flight in non-emergency scenarios then this trim software wouldn't have been needed.

Airplanes are already autonomous.
AFAIK there are very few, maybe none that meet that definition. The pilotless aircraft almost always have remote pilots somewhere. The aircraft that have autonomy that I know of tend to be rockets, notably SpaceX rockets. Do those have true autonomy? I don't know. There are a huge variety fo aircraft including airplanes and helicopters that have a 'level two style' system, especially for low altitude terrain tracking, for example. Maybe some are better than that, but really autonomous, I don't think so. Even missiles seem to have ground-based monitoring and control.

Anyway, there are no autonomous airplanes. There are some incredible autopilots, but even though must have continuous monitoring.
I do think there could be autonomous airplanes technically, just as there are autonomous trains in service around the world. They just do not exist today.

I really want to know if I am incorrect in these comments. That would be wonderful.

AFAIK there are very few, maybe none that meet that definition. The pilotless aircraft almost always have remote pilots somewhere. The aircraft that have autonomy that I know of tend to be rockets, notably SpaceX rockets. Do those have true autonomy? I don't know. There are a huge variety fo aircraft including airplanes and helicopters that have a 'level two style' system, especially for low altitude terrain tracking, for example. Maybe some are better than that, but really autonomous, I don't think so. Even missiles seem to have ground-based monitoring and control.

Anyway, there are no autonomous airplanes. There are some incredible autopilots, but even though must have continuous monitoring.
I do think there could be autonomous airplanes technically, just as there are autonomous trains in service around the world. They just do not exist today.

I really want to know if I am incorrect in these comments. That would be wonderful.
True, I should've said "automatic". In the US at least, federal regulations currently prohibit autonomous aircraft.

You are not.
I would say (as someone with 30 years of commercial flying behind them) that was a pretty well-written summary.

Now will there be Aircraft carrying people without pilots.....yes absolutely. Just not today.

AFAIK there are very few, maybe none that meet that definition. The pilotless aircraft almost always have remote pilots somewhere. The aircraft that have autonomy that I know of tend to be rockets, notably SpaceX rockets. Do those have true autonomy? I don't know.
I'm not sure that I understand all of the nuances of how you might define autonomy, but the SpaceX Falcon 9 was the first rocket to be fully autonomous from launch to the end of the launch portion of the mission. As far as I know, no humans in the loop. The end is either a successful launch or an autonomous destruction of the rocket. Other rockets were/are mostly autonomous, but had/have humans in the loop for destruction of the rocket, for instance.

Of course, orbital rockets have very constrained operating parameters and the variability is less because of stringent criteria for launch (e.g., weather).

I think I need new, non monetary goals…😅
If that is your Model 3, a 29er mountain bike will fit right in there, no need for a rack, just pull off the front wheel.

I should probably add a photo of a 29er in a Model 3 as part of the value chain series, "Sure, others have EV sport sedans, but does a mountain bike fit in them?"

The answer for others is, No.

"Your bicycle will fit" was a directive/key criteria with the Model 3. The rear glass is engineered like a bird's beak to keep the car stiff with a passageway to accommodate a bicycle. Every other car company would have walked away from the cyclist customer with "That is too hard" or pulled out our old friend negotiation and said, "If you want that you will have to give up this."

Tesla actually made that passage big enough for a bike, maybe 2X the cross-sectional area of some Accords. Things like "generally useful product" allow Tesla to have a simple product line, and get great at just a few vehicles. This helps logistics. And avoids excuses.

If you get a single speed, the whole bike can weigh less than 20 lbs. And full suspension 12 speed bikes can weigh in at 24 lbs. In other words, lift over is a non issue.

There is something about cardboard sliders for heavier bikes here:

So if you choose to go the bike way, all you need is the bike and a helmet, because you chose the Tesla Model 3.

And Training Peaks if you want structured workouts. The British Cycling Sampler is a good place to start, but I got better results with a Mallorca event specific training plan.

I trained for the middle distance 225km. Don't know if those plans are still available...

Last edited by a moderator: