Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Off topic galore

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About a month ago, I met someone who is an internal marketing consultant for a major hotel enterprise (several branded hotel chains). I mentioned to her how charging amenities are a major determinant of choice of lodging for EV owners. She was genuinely ignorant of the need. I tried to help her out, but it was very disappointing to me that even hotel consultants would still be clueless. So yeah, I think Hertz 100k Tesla move will change the conversation about EV ready accommodations. I'm hoping that some hotel chain will want to partner with Hertz, rolling out EV charging amenities at properties and marketing this to Hertz customers renting Teslas. I think its an obvious play for a nimble player.

This is great work on your part, jhm. I appreciate this grass-roots advocacy. I'm sure we all do. Here's what I did recently.

As some of you know I sold my last townhome because it had no upgrade path for charging two Teslas. I went home shopping and it annoyed me to no end that clueless real-estate agents (that's most of them, apparently), do NOT show the garage in their listings......not even for gorgeous empty garages! They do not talk about the service panel (relating to EV charging or upgrades). They may mention an existing EV charger if we're lucky. They almost never show that or the panel and again, they don't even show the garage in 99% of the listings. Of course, this means they don't talk about EV-charging 'readiness', but may waste words explaining what pictures could show instantly. "Spacious living room." Okaaaay.

What did I do? I joined the real estate sub-Reddit with about 240,000 members+ and stated my case thoroughly to the entire sub. I explained why I just moved. I explained how solar helps us who drive EVs, arguably for the same purpose (clean energy and a lower carbon footprint). I argued my case for showing the dang garage (and not just for EV-owners) because it's an essential part of a house. Some people buying houses have never had a garage and this might be a primary housing upgrade driver. It was for me. Some people are going from a two to three car garage and again, showing this area is important. I explained the horrific downsides of NOT having a garage and the indignities of weathering, vandalism, theft, and everything else street-parkers have to deal with as they work to afford their first home with a garage.

Beyond protecting our cars, I explained that people like to work in garages. Guys often use this as an opt-in means for passive social invitation to neighbors who might amble over and be offered a beverage. It's a sacred space full of possibilities...utilitarian, invention, and yes, a safe haven for parking cars and charging our EVs. One of the primary benefits of EVs is charging at home, and yet these REAs cannot be bothered to show this vaunted space.

*Crickets*

Of course, the listings never missed that carefully-staged country kitchen or bathroom, but a garage apparently has no meaning in the world of legacy REA (real-estate agents).

The depth of ignorant recalcitrance I found here was staggering. It was a deep and entrenched vein of obstinance and unwillingness to adapt or even acknowledge the world in which we live now. I heard every excuse in the book; "The garage isn't pretty". That's not the point. People want to plan those garages AND their EV-charging solutions. They want to see the panel or at least know its service amps for headroom (for EV-charging, power tools, refrigerators, freezers, etc.). They want to know as much as possible *before* they trek all the way out to see the home....only to find a 60a panel in the back of the house or some nightmarish garage-to-room conversion that dashes their plans. Perhaps it's just an ill-placed support pole in the garage that wasn't shown. This is why pictures are important, but this concept seemed a bridge too far for most.

I did manage to convince a few REAs, but there is *definitely* a culture of ignorance here where not showing the garage is the trending behavior. It's shocking that people don't understand this, even when I thoroughly explain it to them. Some eschew garage pictures simply because they insist that 'nobody cares about that' or 'that's how it's done' or some other bizarre reasoning.

If garages don't matter, then why do these same REAs keep using them in their own homes? Why do home builders keep including them? Why are 'dream garages' a thing on Google or with Jay Leno? I have many ideas about why this situation is how it is, but either way this must change. Don't real estate agents realize the advantage they would have showing garages and educating sellers to that end compared to the fools who refuse such an obviously beneficial inclusion?

I even made examples that they would understand. "Imagine if nearly every RE listing you saw omitted pictures of the kitchen." Most still didn't get it. Yet using first principles, I figured out in 5 minutes what so many career REAs couldn't process even when having it explained. Unbelievable.

Beyond that, all new construction from apartments to business centers must consider and include EV-charging needs, but I think this is already happening.

/rant

Last edited:
I'm sure women, people with pronouns who make up 50% 0.05% of Tesla's addressable market, find this hilarious. Not.

Fixed it for you. Elon does not need nor want their business. How is TSLA doing since this tweet?

1635539245006.png

Actually, Elon just might start a new technology university in Texas. It makes a lot of sense - it would be a great way for Tesla and SpaceX (and Texas) to get top talent, plus Elon really dislikes the wokeness that has taken over the university system in the USA - hence his newest tweet that TITS would cater to left and right equally. And it is a really good way for the future trillionaire to give back to the society - much better than giving to the government.

So, yes, TITS was a good joke tweet, but perhaps a sign of things to come - gentrify Mordor part deux?

This is great work on your part, jhm. I appreciate this grass-roots advocacy. I'm sure we all do. Here's what I did recently.

As some of you know I sold my last townhome because it had no upgrade path for charging two Teslas. I went home shopping and it annoyed me to no end that clueless real-estate agents (that's most of them, apparently), do NOT show the garage in their listings......not even for gorgeous empty garages! They do not talk about the service panel (relating to EV charging or upgrades). They may mention an existing EV charger if we're lucky. They almost never show that or the panel and again, they don't even show the garage in 99% of the listings. Of course, this means they don't talk about EV-charging 'readiness', but may waste words explaining what pictures could show instantly. "Spacious living room." Okaaaay.

What did I do? I joined the real estate sub-Reddit with about 240,000 members+ and stated my case thoroughly to the entire sub. I explained why I just moved. I explained how solar helps us who drive EVs, arguably for the same purpose (clean energy and a lower carbon footprint). I argued my case for showing the dang garage (and not just for EV-owners) because it's an essential part of a house. Some people buying houses have never had a garage and this might be a primary housing upgrade driver. It was for me. Some people are going from a two to three car garage and again, showing this area is important. I explained the horrific downsides of NOT having a garage and the indignities of weathering, vandalism, theft, and everything else street-parkers have to deal with as they work to afford their first home with a garage.

Beyond protecting our cars, I explained that people like to work in garages. Guys often use this as an opt-in means for passive social invitation to neighbors who might amble over and be offered a beverage. It's a sacred space full of possibilities...utilitarian, invention, and yes, a safe haven for parking cars and charging our EVs. One of the primary benefits of EVs is charging at home, and yet these REAs cannot be bothered to show this vaunted space.

*Crickets*

Of course, the listings never missed that carefully-staged country kitchen or bathroom, but a garage apparently has no meaning in the world of legacy REA (real-estate agents).

The depth of ignorant recalcitrance I found here was staggering. It was a deep and entrenched vein of obstinance and unwillingness to adapt or even acknowledge the world in which we live now. I heard every excuse in the book; "The garage isn't pretty". That's not the point. People want to plan those garages AND their EV-charging solutions. They want to see the panel or at least know its service amps for headroom (for EV-charging, power tools, refrigerators, freezers, etc.). They want to know as much as possible *before* they trek all the way out to see the home....only to find a 60a panel in the back of the house or some nightmarish garage-to-room conversion that dashes their plans. Perhaps it's just an ill-placed support pole in the garage that wasn't shown. This is why pictures are important, but this concept seemed a bridge too far for most.

I did manage to convince a few REAs, but there is *definitely* a culture of ignorance here where not showing the garage is the trending behavior. It's shocking that people don't understand this, even when I thoroughly explain it to them. Some eschew garage pictures simply because they insist that 'nobody cares about that' or 'that's how it's done' or some other bizarre reasoning.

If garages don't matter, then why do these same REAs keep using them in their own homes? Why do home builders keep including them? Why are 'dream garages' a thing on Google or with Jay Leno? I have many ideas about why this situation is how it is, but either way this must change. Don't real estate agents realize the advantage they would have showing garages and educating sellers to that end compared to the fools who refuse such an obviously beneficial inclusion?

I even made examples that they would understand. "Imagine if nearly every RE listing you saw omitted pictures of the kitchen." Most still didn't get it. Yet using first principles, I figured out in 5 minutes what so many career REAs couldn't process even when having it explained. Unbelievable.

Beyond that, all new construction from apartments to business centers must consider and include EV-charging needs, but I think this is already happening.

/rant
Love your rant!

21 years ago, I was “laughed at” when I designed our home around a garage that would allow me to detail a car while it’s -25°C and a blizzard outside.

Hope you are mission successful in your quest.

Signed,

A guy with a three car garage with 12 foot ceilings and a lift, 200 amp panel, radiant heated floor, sloped floor to a sand trap water drain that runs parallel to the base of all three garage doors, heat recovery ventilation, Icynene foam insulated walls and ceiling, bathroom grade drywall, enough LED lights to burn your retinas…

FCB7BC1A-7C42-4584-A0E0-0F55DDC074CC.jpeg

*Crickets*

/rant
it's the wife ! The wife doesn't care about a garage and she is the decision maker. Homes sell by:
1-Location
2-Kitchen
3- master bedroom & bath
4-size=how many bedrooms & baths
5-Lot size
6-then for him GARAGE

Love your rant!

21 years ago, I was “laughed at” when I designed our home around a garage that would allow me to detail a car while it’s -25°C and a blizzard outside.

Signed,

A guy with a three car garage with 12 foot ceilings and a lift, 200 amp panel, radiant heated floor, sloped floor to a sand trap water drain that runs parallel to the base of all three garage doors, heat recovery ventilation, Icynene foam insulated walls and ceiling, bathroom grade drywall, enough LED lights to burn your retinas…

View attachment 727322
You had me at "radiant heated floor..."

Love your rant!

Signed,

View attachment 727322
But do you have epoxy coated garage floor, mate?? 😂

(My TSLA LEAPS funded home has it 🤓)

1635564647432.png

But do you have epoxy coated garage floor, mate?? 😂

(My TSLA LEAPS funded home has it 🤓)

View attachment 727378
Oh, I love a nice garage, I really need to get mine finished this year. Somehow, even before I got chance to finish painting it and tiling the floor, it magically filled up with junk! Where the heck does it all come from?!

Congrats to all after this week, can't wait to see what Monday brings us.

Isn't that what garages in the UK are for?
A few years ago I saw an aerial photo of a UK block of flats after a storm with a long row of garages behind. All the garages had had their roofs torn off and the garages were exposed......

The garages were all FULL but it was with storage and junk - barely any cars...! No wonder the roads look like car lots.

A few years ago I saw an aerial photo of a UK block of flats after a storm with a long row of garages behind. All the garages had had their roofs torn off and the garages were exposed......

The garages were all FULL but it was with storage and junk - barely any cars...! No wonder the roads look like car lots.
That's because the vast majority of them are too small to fit anything other than an (original) Mini in and even then you wouldn't be able to open the door to get out. So most people end up parking their cars outside and filling the garage with all sorts of random stuff or even converting them into an office/family room.
Next house we get is going to have proper garage with all mod cons!

The last thing in the world I want is actionable data. I do not wish to make any action that could result in a lawsuit or, worse, indictment:

Sorry to seem pedantic since so many people misuse that word even though most fo them should know better. I cringe, since I do everything I can do to avoid legal hassles. When they have happened I have prevailed, in large part because I have avoided doing actionable things.
From a law-centric pov, I get your point, but outside that sphere, it doesn't mean that (any more/ coopted?).

Per the same link under the "business english" section versus the "law" section:

able to be used as a reason for doing something:
actionable information/intelligence

'Actionable Intelligence' is its own thing:
The Difference between Data, Information and Actionable Intelligence

Actionable intelligence definition and meaning | Collins English Dictionary