Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Off topic galore

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
this is a dangerously stupid thing to pretend to believe, and it's exactly how bigotry and misinformation thrives and survives, when people make the stupid mistake of believing all opinions are valid.

many opinions are worthy of extreme condemnation.

I don't believe all opinions are valid.

That it is OK to hate someone for their opinions is one such opinion that I do disagree with.

I do however think it is natural to hate someone if they do gruesome things.

It's never OK to hate someone just for having a different opinion.

Most people don't hate Elon for just having opinions. Elon is not just thinking and expressing himself like us: he's buying a platform and intends to have his personal idea of free speech applied to everyone on the platform. He's also using Twitter to broadcast political views (but also direct provocations and endorsements) through a Twitter account that the both the SEC and the company's board recognized as an official channel of communication regarding the company. He could perfectly tweet his political opinions through @elonmusk and reserve the tweets about Tesla's announcements through @tesla – but that would give less power to his political views so no, he'll mix everything and let everyone filter things out or fight. And Elon will complain. Every. Single. Time.

I'm glad I'm not hearing every other companies' owners and CEOs pushing their political views in myface when I'm trying to follow their businesses (e.g as an employee or a shareholder). But it is obviously 100% OK for these people to have and express their opinions, however different and divisive. Again: the issue is not the opinions, it's how you're using (or abusing) your power to express them.

I have no idea why you quoted me on this post.

Half the day later I’m still wondering how DDuck is, as he claims, mowing via Starlink.
We are mowing on [powered by] sunshine.
We are posting via Starlink on [powered by] sunshine.

We are {(mowing) and (posting via Starlink)} on sunshine.
We are mowing and posting via Starlink on sunshine!
😎

-posted via Starlink, but not from on-site solar.

Reproduced here in case the mods find it too OT/ divisive

If China continues current covid-policy, lock downs will continue recurrently. Covid-19 is not going to disappear.

TL;DR: China's Covid policy is a red herring - no real effect on supplies except as decided by the CCP/ Xi Jinping - thinking out loud: combined with their ambition to continue to grow their dominance over the US, what with Russia/ Ukraine making them a key player, what would they do that maximizes their efforts?

Long form: Covid-19 is past history - like the seasonal flu with its variations/ mutations* it's here to stay, Not to say that story is dead, actually the experimental vaccines will be the next story if allowed to surface. To stay on topic: the China Shanghai situation was an internal political struggle between the Xi Jinping leading clique and Li Keqiang's adversary whose stronghold is in Shanghai.

We know full well how to deal with Covid in its mild and elevated forms; dealing with the repercussions of the mRNA vaccines is a developing story or non-story.

The CCP used Covid-19** to essentially make all Shanghai residents prisoners in their own dwellings - thus punishing Li's clique.

** Covid related topic referenced to special thread to avoid polluting this thread with multiple opinionated posts, few if any of which done with a real back to basics thinking (we really are stuck thinking like our pack, it's a matter of evolution, most "successful" people have learned to delegate to others they trust. Not claiming I'm different, just less stuck /s

Yeah, I console myself with w. a little bit of Ben Franklin, updated for the 21st Century:

"Those who would give up long-term Financial Freedom to purchase a little temporary gain, deserve neither Financial Freedom nor long-term Gains." :D

Cheers to the Longs!
Dodger! Hast thou given up on HODL and saying we should have sold at $1,000-$1,200? (If indeed that amount allowed long term financial freedom).
Let it not be so!
Rather, I shall assume you portent multiples of stock increase in the future, not mere little gains.

Dodger! Hast thou given up on HODL and saying we should have sold at $1,000-$1,200? (If indeed that amount allowed long term financial freedom).
Let it not be so!
Rather, I shall assume you portent multiples of stock increase in the future, not mere little gains.

Haha, no! (maybe it's my 18th Century English). Long-term, the future's so bright, we have to wear welding goggles... :p

I expect the Market will want another TSLA Christmas Rally to feather their nests, then see what they can come up with for FUD in 2023 (same as every other H1 over the past 7 years that I've been watching daily).

Cheers!

That's funny!

I don't feel joy about the low share price but I'm pretty ambivalent about it because I never treat the current trading price as anything but the price I could sell for right now, if I wanted to sell (or the price I could buy at, if I wanted to buy right now). If I don't want to buy or sell right now, it's pretty meaningless. The problem only arises if an investor looks at his/her investments as cash and, of course, investments are never cash, which is why they are called investments!

I know my holdings this time last year are actually worth considerably more now than they were then, even if the ticker tape is telling me they are worth 1% less. Big whoop-tee-do! Because we are one year closer to billions of batteries, one year closer to 100% EV's and one year closer to the end of the age of petroleum. Everything is progressing magnificently, COVID and supply chain issues as but a minor bump in the road. The ticker is a measure of what someone would pay you right now for your shares, not a measure of what someone would pay you for them when you are ready to sell.

If you want to run with the big dogs, you should be comfortable peeing in the tall grass...

I know with Elon having stopped tweeting many days ago, things are difficult for TSLA speculators looking for a convenient scapegoat, but time will fix this too. ;)
Right, so you are in the 'not feeling joy at a drop camp' which is what I was attemping to explain.
I've ridden out the previous drops and we'll ride out this one.

As it is, we all need about a doubling to get back to where we were. Tesla will rise again, but it's still suboptimal from a total returns point of view.

Interestingly, if you purchased TSLA exactly one year ago, you are up 0.5% on that purchase right now!

I can think of a lot of ways your investment capital would not have been in as happy of a place!

Just a little perspective.
Yup, and the price over that time period has been lower than it is now, hence the use of "probably" rather than expending the effort to calculate the exact number of days the stock price was over the current value.

Last edited:
Nothing in my post is inaccurate. I said I consider it FUD, which I do. The sites claims to be official, it isn't. It claims the feature is in the release, it isn't... (At least to the general public it isn't which they have added conditions to since they originally reported the feature.)

It causes uncertainty and doubt in vehicle owners. They get an update that that sites lists contains a feature, that it doesn't actually contain, and they are uncertain why their vehicle doesn't have it, and have doubt about if it installed correctly or there is something wrong with their vehicle. People have even opened service requests with Tesla because they didn't get a feature that the "official" release notes said they should. So it ends up wasting Tesla's time and money.

Look at the page title for the release notes on the site: 2022.20 Official Tesla Release Notes - Software Updates

Notice it says "2022.20 Official Tesla Release Notes"? How is that not the site claiming to be "official"?

They do tend to get more accurate over time as they add conditions, like "Only For Specific Hardware" on the regen note. But they usually start out without any conditions so that everyone thinks they will get everything.
Weird , the tab title has 'official', but the page body doesn't .
Also says: "This is an early look at Tesla's 2022.20 update. It may not reflect all of the features available in this update. We will update this page as we receive more information."
Plus the site is 'not a tesla app'
But, yeah, tab title is misleading.