Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Off topic galore

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Funny.

120 and 240 Volts
1. The electricity delivered to your home by the electric utility is at 120 and 240 volts. This is called "nominal voltage." This is the voltage as measured at the utility transformer outside your home. Nominal voltage will vary about plus or minus 5 percent under ideal conditions. This is not a new thing.

People on this site keep saying 110/220 for years even after being corrected.

Serious reply:

Perhaps you misinterpreted the “p*nis car” comment about your 911. Nice, expensive cars are regarded by a fairly large portion of people as chick magnets, and it seems like an established fact that plenty of people (presumably including plenty of women) like going for rides with you in your car.

That to me I am guessing is the reason she doesn’t like your car. I would suggest stop taking women for rides in your car. maybe tell your wife to take them.

other potential issue: Is this solely your car? In that you don’t let your wife drive it? And she only gets to drive her crappy minivan while you drive a $120k super car?
Thanks for that reply! Loved it... I am bringing an X home since our minivan lease is almost up. I think that will change her perspective on TSLA. If I can't change my own wife's mind on how awesome the company is, that's on me. Btw, I stopped taking hot babes for rides in any car once I got engaged 💍. Except of course for my lovely wife! Cheers 🍻 to you all!

• Funny
Reactions: Thekiwi and wipster
I am somebody. 🤤

DE1AEA41-01D8-4415-ADD5-DBEDAD21D086.jpeg

Funny.

120 and 240 Volts
1. The electricity delivered to your home by the electric utility is at 120 and 240 volts. This is called "nominal voltage." This is the voltage as measured at the utility transformer outside your home. Nominal voltage will vary about plus or minus 5 percent under ideal conditions. This is not a new thing.

People on this site keep saying 110/220 for years even after being corrected.
So noted. I've printed out the relevant information, and it is now tacked up in the garage on a convenient 2x4.

So noted. I've printed out the relevant information, and it is now tacked up in the garage on a convenient 2x4.
I've one-upped you. I created a keyboard macro so whenever I type "110" a message immediately pops up that says, "120 volts is the nominal voltage in many areas, not 110 volts. Are you sure you don't mean 120"? The macro also plays a .wav file of a descending drum roll punctuated by a cymbal crash in case I'm really out of it.

Problem solved!

Oops!
still, the question begs, is this how I or anyone else should value my farm?
I say no Because that two hour run rate is meaningless

and it is why I say Tesla run rate is meaningless.
it is subject to pure bias, manipulation, hope, time scale error. It is based upon a small unit of time,
and only the chief twit aka cheerleader uses it
First off a farm value is based on what it grows and how much, not harvest rate. So that comparison is a non starter. Your run rate would be useful for a combine though.

Run at rate tests are useful and valid in manufacturing if done properly. Impropper would be if they almost drain the input side or stuff the output side. I worked at a Tier 1 and these were done ore-launch to show the lines were ready without producing too much inventory.

I've one-upped you. I created a keyboard macro so whenever I type "110" a message immediately pops up that says, "120 volts is the nominal voltage in many areas, not 110 volts. Are you sure you don't mean 120"? The macro also plays a .wav file of a descending drum roll punctuated by a cymbal crash in case I'm really out of it.

Problem solved!
Presumably this.
1667850177407.png

Leans? Seriously Leans? Do you know cases they have ruled on and what they have agreed to hear?
SCOTUS plays into this because the cases they are hearing are overturning precedent set for decades and only check is laws to replace decades old rulings. That wont happen with split government with legislature that cheers on what the SCOTUS is doing.
OT OT OT
(does anyone bother with OT anymore?)

@thx1139
FYI
(this message will self immolate in less than 1 hour, unless i'm sipping tea and forget)
1667997424529.png

• Funny
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Tax strategy. Use Judo on the shortzes + hedgies. Execute Options for cheap. Sell later at Capital Gains rate rather than pay high Income + Payroll taxes now (this last point is sticky). Do share buybacks for half-price. Depend on fundamentals to return SP level to its natural trajectory (based on 50% CAGR + Operational Leverage). Make today's shortz the baghoders. Don't even talk about Tesla Network, Optimus 'Bot, rebuilding the world electrical grid, and off-world too.

But folks here know that Elon can't play chess, so... :p

Cheers to the Longs!
Ugly version of money flow:
Once option is exercised, there is no gain from the basis nor from taxes paid.
The tax at share sale further reduces the gains after exercise.
Helps to view gains as scale factors, not dollars.

Screenshot_20221110_102458_Samsung capture.jpg

Ugly version of money flow:
Once option is exercised, there is no gain from the basis nor from taxes paid.
The tax at share sale further reduces the gains after exercise.
Helps to view gains as scale factors, not dollars.

View attachment 873184

Thanks for that, that's really helpful, and I will never truly understand. ;)

More to the point, do you think that Elon (with his undergraduate degree in Economics from Wharton), can navigate this maze to his (and Tesla's) advantage re: taxes?

Cheers!

Thanks for that, that's really helpful, and I will never truly understand. ;)

More to the point, do you think that Elon (with his undergraduate degree in Economics from Wharton), can navigate this maze to his (and Tesla's) advantage re: taxes?

Cheers!
For sure. It's easy to model in a spreadsheet, especially since he is saturating the tax brackets .
His gains by not exercising early greatly exceed Tesla's direct savings (half medicare tax).
Tax can be a higher dollar value while being a lower percentage.

Tesla gain before sale6
current sp190
basis23.34
Exercise tax50%
Capital gains tax25%
Gain before exercise Gain afteroption valuebasis costtax costnet per shareshare value post gainbasistaxnet cash

A little OT, but not much...

After looking at Tesla's future competition in the US, the vehicles that I believe may be the toughest for Tesla is Hyundai/Kia and the coming vehicles from Foxconn. Hyundai especially has an awesome car coming next year, the Ioniq 6. Good looking, 380 miles per charge, nice interior and Hyundai knows how to make BEV's, a lot of them. Kia's EV6 is kind of a more compact version of the Ioniq 6, nice little car. And both are quite affordable.

But the real dark horse IMHO is Foxconn. They're buying the Lordstown factory in Ohio which has 500,000 vehicle capacity. And they've got some killer prototypes, 3 of which they recently showed off in the attached presentation. Now you may discount them because they primarily make iPhones, but they know manufacturing and that's easily adaptable to BEV's. They have plants in Taiwan, China, are building in India, and they're soon to be worldwide. Their model C and especially model E (damn them all to hell) are true Tesla competition!

Check out this presentation and the article in DriveTeslaCanada:

In regards to a Foxconn transitioning to a car maker I have three words: Radio Flyer ATV

• Funny
Reactions: Artful Dodger
In regards to a Foxconn transitioning to a car maker I have three words: Radio Flyer ATV
While I agree with you on most things, the more I investigate about them, their partnerships, and their potential locations, the more I think the maker of iPhones can be serious competition (and maybe a partner in some locations).

I realize that presentation is loooong and I should have given a good place to start watching (which is around an hour in), but that Model E is a pretty awesome car! The completely dimmable windows all around are pretty trick! Didn't get a price yet, but pretty sure it will be competitive. Laugh if you will but mark my words... this ain't no toy.