Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Offensively misinformed journalism?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Avendit

Apr 18, 2019
EDI
How Well Does a Tesla Model 3 Work For a Long Trip?

This came up in my news feed and normally car and driver is only middlingly bad, but this is really bad. Presumably being paid to get it wrong, as an LR should be able to do his trip in 2 stops for a total of an hour charging, and obviously without getting to 3% battery.

But there is no comment or contact details, which tells me the know it's BS.

My abrp plan:
A Better Routeplanner, and that's off my car as it is on the drive at 73% battery...

Grrrrrr

I thought it read quite factual (and fact checked). He’s done the drive and that was his experience. {shrug} We don’t know: Start charge state, weather/time of yeast, load, driving style. Did he try to charge to 95% each time instead of splash & dash? Just saying...

If he just drove the way he did his ICE then maybe. He didn’t say he was trying to do it in fewer stops or indeed that it wasn’t possible.

I took the SR+ 215 miles to Devon last year, starting full charge and I had to stop twice. Alright probably max. 1h charging.

• Informative
Reactions: Cnixon
50minutes sounds long for a stop. Ive only done about 4 SuC visits but never been there anything like that long. What was he doing 5‰ to 95% or sharing a paired charger?

Dependent on charger location I can see why you might be forced into 3 stops but in that case some should be very quick. So 3 hours added to the journey does seem excessive

You note also though that his normal time assuming his one stop is 30 minutes means he is averaging over 70 so he must have a pretty high cruising speed set.

May also have a pretty full car

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Doudeau
Tesla’s route planner shows 3 stops, 35 mins + 35 mins + 25 mins = 1h35.

Now if it was a holiday period, and pairing could be as bad as say 75kW. Take his 52kWh / 75kW = 42 mins. Add on charging losses for A/C, some time faffing with his phone and to plugging in the car, plus extra time for tapering, and 42 becomes ‘on average about 50 minutes’. No doubt he is now enjoying a break on the long drive and having a lunch stop too.

3 hours does seem excessive but he is also very complimentary of TM3.