TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Offered Red Calipers on my P85+

Discussion in 'Model S' started by 808inthe510, Nov 14, 2013.

1. 808inthe510

808inthe510 Member

On Tuesday, I got a voicemail from Tesla where the person said that they have something very special that they want to offer me and asked that I call them back. FYI...My P85+ is on order and is scheduled to be delivered on 12/9. I called her back and the Tesla rep says that they want to offer Red Calipers that are only available on the European builds, to me if I want to add them. It would be an additional $500. They had a very small number for extra units from the European builds and that if I want to add them, I had to tell her within a couple of hours. Needless to say, I added them.

Did anyone else around the same build time and configuration get a call?

2. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

Are you sure you ordered them? They aren't on your signature build list. :)

Did you order the performance black leather? The red piping would go well with the calipers.

3. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

They need to do more of this: reaching out to offer special things that owners will likely (definitely?) want that cost them nothing but generate a significant amount of goodwill.

4. killer_model_s

FYI I also have a P85+ on order to be delivered around the same time and the same thing happened to me as well. I also purchased them...

5. Fredly

Fredly Member

Great opportunity I would have said yes if they had asked back in July before mine was delivered.

Wonder why the red ones are so much more - that is a good margin on a painted caliper. Every high end company get extra $$$ for them so why shouldn't Tesla I guess.

6. drees

drees Active Member

7. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

That's great, congrats. I'd have taken them up on that option in a second.

8. Hybris

Hybris Member

Hmmmm... This sucks!!! Order a p85+ at the same time as you and are in europe... No offer... Tesla shape up!!!

9. RainmakerJL

RainmakerJL Member

I got a similar call and offer. Since my car is going to be green i chose against getting the xmas tree looking combination...

10. Hybris

Hybris Member

Can you tell them there is a guy in sweden that wants them! I will take yours! ;-)

11. Twoeagle

Twoeagle Member

And one guy in Norway ;) Everyone understands that my Dolphingrey metallic NEEDS red calipers?! :tongue:

P85, delivery april 2014

12. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

Standard on all P85 purchases now. They should be free! Don't know why they are trying to charge you can extra $500....

ui_option_bc0r_1_large.jpg

13. Twoeagle

Twoeagle Member

#13 Twoeagle, Nov 16, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
    Have the impression that when you have confirmed your Configuration before the price increase (+ 10%) here in Norway 11/8 and make changes you have to pay the New prices on the hole package! Do hope it´s possible for me to get the red ones :)

And yes, they should be free due to no more costs for Tesla. On the other hand I fully understand that they want to make money...

P85 Dolphin grey, black P-interior, grey 21". delivery april 2014

14. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

I was under the impression that there was no "price increase" at all last week but rather some items got packaged in and it works out to be the same price if you had picked those options...are you saying there was a 10% price increase with no change in options and packages?(besides the calipers)

15. JST

JST Active Member

They are standard on all P cars in the US, but the P package has gone up 3500. 1500 of that is the spoiler, now included but formerly 1500, and 1500 is the alcantara, now included but formerly 1500. That means they're charging 500 for the caliper paint, which was not previously available.

Pricing and packages have been different in the EU, so I don't know how it works over there.

16. Twoeagle

Twoeagle Member

In Norway there was a significant price increase one week ago. The options/packages were changed and are now very similar to US. The highest increases was on the extras. F.ex. the sound package went from 1000 $ to 2500$. My configuration included all options without Rear Facing Seats, Onboard Dual Chargers and Security Package. A little bit insecure about the Extended Nappa leather trim. We did not have that option before. I really do hope Nappa dashboard and door panels was included in my Performance-package :confused:

P85 Dolphin grey, black P-interior, grey 21". delivery april 2014

17. omarsultan

omarsultan Active Member

I am probably in the minority, but not a fan or red calipers on a red car--too much red. On non-red cars (which maybe the aforementioned exception of green), I think red calipers look great, but if I got mine custom painted, I'd probably go for some contrast, maybe yellow:

xxexterior.jpg

O

18. 2k13458

2k13458 New Member

Red or yellow calipers draws the eye toward the wheels and away from the lines of the car. This effect is even more pronounced in cars like the 458 that have wide spaces between the spokes of the wheels. Compare the appearance of this 458 with neutral brake calipers……IMO, beautiful cars look better with neutral calipers.

Attached Files:

19. bareyb

bareyb Active Member

Do we have a picture of the red Calipers close up? They sound cool.

20. omarsultan

omarsultan Active Member

Agreed. While I have been a serial caliper painter in the past, I left them grey on my MC Red S85.