Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Offgrid Powerwall at 59.6 Hz (no solar curtailment)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't realize how relevant this point was to me until I noticed that my coffee maker clock had lost nearly 10 minutes over the past week and was way behind.

Initially, I thought I was immune to this problem because I was under the impression that this was only an issue affecting older motorized clocks that run on AC power, of which I do not have any.

When I saw the digital clock on the coffee maker lose so much time, I did a little research and found this article, which indicates that a common chip used in digital clocks is actually tied to the mains frequency. I don't know what is in my coffee maker, but the correlation between it losing time (which I've never noticed before) and my testing of "off grid" mode suggest that it is indeed tied to the mains frequency.

Many things can be affected. See this thread for more info Powerwall 2 + UPS Connundrum - and solution

Is anyone familiar with why Powerwalls would not operate at ~60Hz when off grid absent the need to curtail solar production?

Now that we have a "Go Off Grid" button, I am able to more easily observe how my Powerwalls behaves in "Off Grid" mode. One thing I have noticed is that, when I am "off grid," the Powerwalls consistently operate at 59.6Hz (bouncing rather erratically between 59.55 and 59.65). I get this data from the Powerwall API and have confirmed it with a multimeter. Obviously, when I am connected to the grid, they operate very close to 60Hz. I am able to compare this to the real time frequency data posted by ERCOT and it is very close.

I know that when the Powerwalls get close to full, they will raise the frequency to curtail solar production. However, my Powerwalls are doing this at modest levels of charge (60% to 80%) and at all levels of solar production.

Do you see any correlation between frequency and load changes?