Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Official Battery day thread 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if Elon will unveil a plan to turn humans into batteries like in The Matrix...
I don't think he spoiled anything. Just set expectations because everyone was dreaming too big.

Here's my prediction.

(1) Model S/X will go Plaid for the new Performance Model (no OTA update as we know there is a new motor in latest firmware). Ludicrous version is end of life. Don't think there will be a refresh of the Model S/X today.
(2) Model 3/Y will go Ludicrous for the new Performance Model (no OTA update as we know there is a new motor in latest firmware). Current Performance will go end of life.
(3) FSD going live by end of year for select few, and the subscription model will begin around the same time.
(4) Minecraft available by end of year in the Model S/X/Y/3

The new cells will be used for the Model S/X as we know he can't do mass production right now, so it only makes sense to offer it on his lowest volume vehicle (the Model S/X Performance or maybe just the Model S Performance to start with).

The same cells will be used on the Big Rig and Truck followed by the Roadster once he can mass produce them in the volume he needs with the CyberTruck getting it first.

Interesting. I do hope they roll out Plaid S/X. Tesla needs to respond to the Taycan and Lucid.

I wouldn't say they need to, and it shouldn't be anywhere near the top of Tesla's priority list. Tesla needs to focus on the machine that builds the machine to bring costs down in order to really make a dent in accelerating the transition to sustainable energy/transport. Plaid S/X should just be a means of generating brand interest and buzz.

Reactions: pilotSteve
I don't think he spoiled anything. Just set expectations because everyone was dreaming too big.

Here's my prediction..................

(2) Model 3/Y will go Ludicrous for the new Performance Model (no OTA update as we know there is a new motor in latest firmware). Current Performance will go end of life...............

I realize this is supposed to be a thread to talk about actual announcements, instead of speculation... but reading this specific one from @zanary made me realize that, if this prediction actually comes to pass, my thoughts of "I will have my current model 3P for the next 6-7 years" would go completely out the window :D

I wouldn't say they need to, and it shouldn't be anywhere near the top of Tesla's priority list. Tesla needs to focus on the machine that builds the machine to bring costs down in order to really make a dent in accelerating the transition to sustainable energy/transport. Plaid S/X should just be a means of generating brand interest and buzz.
You are correct, except that this is Elon we're talking about here. He has absolutely no interest in anything back office/back plant because it isn't fun and exciting. It's been that way since Day 1. There are only 2 ways Tesla will focus on such things:

1) Elon steps down from day to day operations
2) People start buying competitor's vehicles and citing QA, post sales support, etc. as the reason.