Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Official Battery day thread 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
so i have been refreshing the tesla press sharepoint last night and a few times this morning and have seen no updates about battery day or any of the slides or video from yesterdays presentation. autonomy day was posted to the site pretty much right after the event stream ended.

has tesla moved over to another press page other than the one they have on their own url? :D

Somebody put a snapshot of the slides and talking points here. It's not a complete deck though. They only put a super tiny picture of the shingled spiral donut thing ... which makes it just look like an ordinary donut thing :(
https://www.electrive.net/wp-conten...Tesla_Battery-Day_P3-Assessment-published.pdf

More about the shingled spiral donut thing:
Tesla introduces its tabless battery design on the road to 10 terawatt hours of production – TechCrunch

That's a small R&D facility. A production facility for these batteries would be something bigger than the current GF Nevada footprint.

no I realize that (and watched the shareholder/battery day event) but they are “in production” all the same just limited, so they have some specs on them from use and not vaporware at this point. I do agree Wall Street wanted to hear either Nevada or China factories were producing them now, thus the sell off.

While we don't get immediate gratification, if Tesla can deliver on yesterday's presentations, ICE cars will be doomed by 2030. 3-5 years may be a long time to wait as an investor, but really a blip in the grand scheme of things.

That video that someone posted was great. If (and that may be a big if) Tesla can deliver on most of what they announced today, then the market for ICE car will crumble by 2030 for 2 reasons: EVs will be better and cheaper to operate by a big margin, and the residual value of ICE cars will deteriorate so much that buyers will switch to EVs just to protect the value of their car purchase. Seems like the inflection point is only a few years away. Color me the eternal optimist.

Reactions: pdx_m3s
I'm really curious to see the new thermal management solution for the 4680 cells. With the tabless design of the cell, it sounds like they will be doing some form of plate cooling, where heat is pulled out of the bottom of the cell where the tabless "shingles" interface with the base of the cell can.

This would increase pack density, as you can now pack the cells closer together than the current implementation, which has cooling strips that run between each row of cells.

Indeed the 4680 cells are slightly less dense than 2170.

With the tab-less design there is less resistance (heat) allowing for less power to be lost (more energy available). Also, Tesla can eliminate the battery module layer/format hopefully resulting in reduced weight, cost, and added energy efficiency.

The other point is that their surface is only 4.8 times the surface of a 2170, but will deliver 5 times the capacity. So for a given surface, there may be a small advantage. To your other point, they are taller than a 2170, but getting rid of the pack shell may result in the same net height under the floor plan. Lots to look forward to. So glad I leased the X.