Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OFFICIAL BUTTON WATCH

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FSD wasn't $10k 3 years ago... the $10k thing is a relatively recent phenomenon. As some of the FSD features have started materializing, ElonCo seems to keep rationalizing pushing the price higher and higher, and now with EAP gone, FSD is the only way to get features that were previously grouped under the $5k EAP option. If I recall correctly (I may not), I think EAP was $5k + FSD as $3k but getting you nothing but promises.

For what you got, at least $3k was a more rational price tag. Now, it's just AP with a few extra cool features that definitely aren't worth $10k extra.
EAP + FSD = 8k. Now its 10k. Not a big difference.

If "AP with a few extra cool features that definitely aren't worth $10k extra." is true, EAP at 5k was definitely not worth it too.

ps : I paid $5k for EAP+FSD IIRC, in Mar '19, when Tesla was in real trouble financially.

What's funny is in the 5k EAP+ 3k FSD days everyone complained they wanted a "cheap" option for JUST TACC and autosteer.

So Tesla revised it to be JUST TACC and autosteer for 2-3k, soon after made that standard (by raising the car price 2k)... and moving everything else to FSD for a higher cost.

Soon after which people began to complain they wished Tesla would bring EAP back instead because they want stuff like summon or auto-lane-change but without paying full FSD price.

Can't ever make everyone happy after all.

Reactions: ahoen117
What's funny is in the 5k EAP+ 3k FSD days everyone complained they wanted a "cheap" option for JUST TACC and autosteer.

So Tesla revised it to be JUST TACC and autosteer for 2-3k, soon after made that standard (by raising the car price 2k)... and moving everything else to FSD for a higher cost.

Soon after which people began to complain they wished Tesla would bring EAP back instead because they want stuff like summon or auto-lane-change but without paying full FSD price.

Can't ever make everyone happy after all.

Yea I'm kind of shocked that at the time $5k for EAP was too much (which included the basic autopilot feature) , now so many people are willing to spend $5k for a bunch of gimmicky add-ons

Yea I'm kind of shocked that at the time $5k for EAP was too much (which included the basic autopilot feature) , now so many people are willing to spend $5k for a bunch of gimmicky add-ons
Most people new to Tesla dont really understand all this "self driving" stuff, my wife just got her Model Y, and I had to spend a considerable amount of time explaining what is/isnt included with FSD. As an example, she thinks "summon" means we can actually ask that our car drive from across the parking lot to us when we go out to eat........I have to explain to her that it doesnt work quite like that yet..........😄

• Funny
Reactions: momo3605
As an example, she thinks "summon" means we can actually ask that our car drive from across the parking lot to us when we go out to eat........I have to explain to her that it doesnt work quite like that yet..........😄

It does though, as long as it's a small parking lot :)

(that said, it's underwhelming that after 2 years in the wild the usable distance hasn't really improved)

Actually I believe they've stopped calling it FSD Beta rather they call it in documentation nav on city streets. FSD is someone in Boston can say NAV to San Francisco and the car will. By looking at the YT videos, this thing is dangerous. Reading between the lines FSD will require HW4. It's uncertain if anyone, after being upgraded to HW3 will get HW4 for free. What I referred to is the car for taking a right turn, presumably left as well, the car creeps into the intersection an then waits several seconds before concluding its safe. That's a recipe for crash.
The videos I refer to are from James Locke. He may well be on here too.
For those doubting Thomas's

...not sure what that link is supposed to say about my post that it's replying to since it's about an entirely unrelated part of the software... or why you posted the same link 3 different times? Especially when it's a link to a story from over 6 months ago that was already discussed in this very section of the forum multiple times?

Small parking lot and 0 other cars. :)
Even then, you are not guaranteed success.

When this feature first came out, my wife and I were leaving a mall near closing time (on a Sunday, so still daylight out). The parking lot was nearly empty, and my car was in one of the front spaces. All the car had to do to reach us was back out of the diagonal parking space, and then pull forward to our location.

I says, "Watch this, it'll be cool!" and press the summon button. Instead of backing out of the space, the car pulls forward (no parking block or car ahead of it), and then proceeds to follow the parking lot flow away from me. It then drives to the boundaries of the summon feature and stops. Then my wife and I had to walk out to retrieve the car. It did not work out nearly as cool as I thought it would!

FSD wasn't $10k 3 years ago... the $10k thing is a relatively recent phenomenon. As some of the FSD features have started materializing, ElonCo seems to keep rationalizing pushing the price higher and higher, and now with EAP gone, FSD is the only way to get features that were previously grouped under the $5k EAP option. If I recall correctly (I may not), I think EAP was $5k + FSD as $3k but getting you nothing but promises.

For what you got, at least $3k was a more rational price tag. Now, it's just AP with a few extra cool features that definitely aren't worth $10k extra.

Oh - but yeah, newcomers floating along and being able to pay $200 just to see if they like it, that's... ha-ha, welp, a bit a slap to those that paid the full $10k. Spare me the "monthly subscription vs. putting it on your loan" calculations, y'all... you can't shrug and say "I'd like to not pay that this month" to a loan and just straight save some money by switching the features off.
I dont challenge that's not what I paid. I configured it June of 18 so that's presumably when the price was locked in. Back then EAP and FSD were, as you said optional extras. Frankly, I'd have to find the paperwork from 3 yrs ago. Thanks for the reality check!

Last edited:
...not sure what that link is supposed to say about my post that it's replying to since it's about an entirely unrelated part of the software... or why you posted the same link 3 different times? Especially when it's a link to a story from over 6 months ago that was already discussed in this very section of the forum multiple times?
Weren't you disagreeing with the premise? Maybe you were disagreeing on general principles. It feels like forever since I've been on here. I deleted the extraneous reports. I wasn't sure where I read it but, sure, I'll accept it was on here. I would have guessed I've been off for atleast a yr. I thought it was to CA regulators not dmv. No matter. It does raise an issue, what happens if they never do what ppl paid extra to get?

Even then, you are not guaranteed success.

When this feature first came out, my wife and I were leaving a mall near closing time (on a Sunday, so still daylight out). The parking lot was nearly empty, and my car was in one of the front spaces. All the car had to do to reach us was back out of the diagonal parking space, and then pull forward to our location.

I says, "Watch this, it'll be cool!" and press the summon button. Instead of backing out of the space, the car pulls forward (no parking block or car ahead of it), and then proceeds to follow the parking lot flow away from me. It then drives to the boundaries of the summon feature and stops. Then my wife and I had to walk out to retrieve the car. It did not work out nearly as cool as I thought it would
Problem was that you did not trace the route on the app screen with your finger. It will take the direct path if it is clear, but you can draw an alternate path. But it still is very slow and nearly useless If the parking lot is not desserted.

Reactions: GargantulaKon
Actually I believe they've stopped calling it FSD Beta
1633380259471.png

There is a lot of debate about whether FSD Beta is a beta of FSD (Autonomy and AI day definition) or a beta of FSD Capability (what Tesla actually sells). :p

View attachment 717854
There is a lot of debate about whether FSD Beta is a beta of FSD (Autonomy and AI day definition) or a beta of FSD Capability (what Tesla actually sells). :p
Elsewhere I put a link to the Electek article where Tesla in a writing to, I thought it was to CA regulators rather than CA DMV, but that basically they were referring to it as city driving and that was all the FSD feature was going to be.

Weren't you disagreeing with the premise? Maybe you were disagreeing on general principles. It feels like forever since I've been on here. I deleted the extraneous reports. I wasn't sure where I read it but, sure, I'll accept it was on here. I would have guessed I've been off for atleast a yr. I thought it was to CA regulators not dmv.

...what?

The post of mine you quoted was about the enhanced summon feature. Which was delivered to customers 2 years ago.

A 6 month old story about the CA DMV and the city streets feature is entirely unrelated to that, in addition to being old news.

No matter. It does raise an issue, what happens if they never do what ppl paid extra to get?

Which people?

For the ones who purchased FSD since roughly march/april 2019, delivering city streets, at L2, is the only extra promised that isn't yet delivered- and it's obviously in (very narrow) beta testing right now, with wider beta rollout coming as early as this Friday.

For the (relatively) small number of folks who bought FSD before ~march 2019 they're owed considerably more... but paid considerably less to get it. Presumably they'll eventually get what was promised (likely including at least another free driving computer upgrade) or they'll get refunds, with interest, on the ~$3000 they paid if delivering what they were promised is not possible.