Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OFFICIAL BUTTON WATCH

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This could also aid in some type of "face ID" style detection. Sounds like Musk would like Tesla to recognize who is driving it and be able to adjust the HVAC, playlist, nav to a custom setting for them without any intervention. It also might aid in that "magic" guessing on if you want to reverse or go forward. Possible camera sends some imputes to see if you're turning your head to look behind you?
Why would the driver turn their head to look behind them when the car has backup cameras in the first place along with side cameras? I already don’t turn my head as it is

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Musk says that progressive ratio steering is years away and requires a lot of work. So a fairly common technology will take years to develop but we will have 100K robotaxis by the end of 2020?

I am surprised that Elon did not say that vision-only can solve progressive ratio steering. After all, Elon is trusting vision-only to solve everything else.

Musk says that progressive ratio steering is years away and requires a lot of work. So a fairly common technology will take years to develop but we will have 100K robotaxis by the end of 2020?
It really needs a variable ratio rack and I don't think anyone has developed one with the necessary range. They really need to get down to half a turn lock to lock at low speeds (90 degrees each direction).
The real question is, if the existing power steering rack is good enough for autonomous operation shouldn't it be good enough for steer by wire? Though the issue with that is I think regulations require a physical connection. Infiniti had a steer by wire system with a mechanical backup but I remember reading that failure while cornering was an exciting experience.

Why would the driver turn their head to look behind them when the car has backup cameras in the first place along with side cameras? I already don’t turn my head as it is
Backup cameras are like L2 systems. They are for assistance, but not exclusive use. Have you not read the Tesla manual? ;) If we're constantly going to say that it's clear "Full Self Driving" requires constant human attention because the manual says so, we need to be consistent.

WARNING: Never depend on the cameras to inform you if the area behind you is free of objects and/or people when reversing. The cameras may not detect objects or barriers that can potentially cause damage or injury. In addition, several external factors can reduce the performance of the cameras, including a dirty or obstructed lens. Therefore, depending on the cameras to determine if Model 3 is approaching an obstruction can result in damage to the vehicle and/or objects, and can potentially cause serious injury. Always inspect the area with your own eyes. When reversing, perform shoulder checks and use all mirrors. Use the cameras for guidance purposes only. It is not intended to replace your own direct visual checks and is not a substitute for careful driving.

In all seriousness, backup cameras are not designed as safety critical items. I've had my backup camera image freeze before. Tesla's going to solve L3+ autonomy before they tell you that it's OK to only look at the backup camera while reversing. Thus, the interior cameras need to consider this looking behind behavior as it is the as-designed behavior for the system.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life

Exhibit 1

It turns out situational awareness is improved by turning your head, and using your rearview mirror in addition to the cameras. It really helps and is strongly recommended.

The cameras do their job of allowing you to see what is directly behind and beside the car very well. But they are not a substitute for traditional methods.

Use both!

Last edited:
Backup cameras are like L2 systems. They are for assistance, but not exclusive use. Have you not read the Tesla manual? ;) If we're constantly going to say that it's clear "Full Self Driving" requires constant human attention because the manual says so, we need to be consistent.

In all seriousness, backup cameras are not designed as safety critical items. I've had my backup camera image freeze before. Tesla's going to solve L3+ autonomy before they tell you that it's OK to only look at the backup camera while reversing. Thus, the interior cameras need to consider this looking behind behavior as it is the as-designed behavior for the system.
A friend's spouse with an X back out of their garage bc the camera showed it was all clear. Wrecked the garage door, rear hatch got crunched and its window imploded and the car was in shop for months. She turns her head now and backs much slower. Yikes - I've high jacked the thread - anyone got the Button? ;)

• Funny
Reactions: Daniel in SD
Screenshot_20210625-053351_Twitter.jpg

We're down to 1 week. Does anybody have a calculator to show how long 1 week is in Elon time?

View attachment 677505

We're down to 1 week. Does anybody have a calculator to show how long 1 week is in Elon time?

He said "hopefully next week". So it is his hope to release next week, not a certainty. Also, I imagine the release will go first to Early Access, not a public release since that is the order of release. AFAIK, Early Access does not have V9 yet unless they do and are under a NDA.

I am also curious what the "obvious issues" were.

Reactions: Microterf