Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OFFICIAL BUTTON WATCH

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, US only.

I think the current estimate is something like 50,000 to 75,000 cars have FSD in the US. But that is just a guess, as Tesla has not released any numbers on FSD sales.
We've seen at least one FSD Beta in Canada. Toronto I think it was. I presume it was official and not hacked. Don't know what the official numbers are for Canada, nor whether the current expansion includes more in Canada.

Yes, US only.

I think the current estimate is something like 50,000 to 75,000 cars have FSD in the US. But that is just a guess, as Tesla has not released any numbers on FSD sales.

Sometime back ('17 ?) - the database had got leaked and we knew exactly how many had bought FSD. I can't find the posts now. @verygreen probably remembers ?
Found it. This was as of end of Q3 '17.

we know (from the leaked db) it was 106k AP2.0 cars with about 35% FSD purchase rate.

So, if we assume that was mostly US - we get to 20k to 30k cars with FSD in '17. Definitely the take rate of 35% would have gone down with cheaper 3/Y - as well as repeated slippage of date. Still - would be surprised if we have nearly 100k US cars with FSD now out of a total of > 900k cars sold in US to date.

Last edited:
Reactions: FalconFour
One annoying variable - FSD subscribers get the button as well. I imagine the number of subscribers is a rounding error compared to the total number who purchased FSD outright.
This is a good point - $10k as an option is practically a brick wall barrier for new car purchases, but ... what was it, $200 a month, cancel any time? I haven't heard anyone saying that's what they did, but I imagine it'll be pretty compelling to tech-nerds that couldn't afford/didn't want to slam out the $10k for FSD up front. It's a good way to try it out and potentially experience the beta...

Reactions: Microterf
Yep. With that many people it would quickly become virtually impossible to manually monitor people and kick them out for unsafe behaviors. Wouldn’t surprise me if Tesla tried to automate it by having the score be the determinant, possibly even scoring driving done by the Beta and penalizing drivers who let it fall below a certain level since drivers are supposed to be monitoring and ready to intervene at all times.
Or, start with those scoring 100 and work their way down until the additional count of alpha testers is met. Nav on Autopilot is beta, AutoSteer is beta, Nav on City Streets is not beta quality, it's more Alpha, using software engineering terminology, that has been released to some scant number of ppl who pre-purchased FSD.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: rxlawdude
Agree. FSD Beta is a new beast. They should be forced to watch videos and complete an online course IMO. Something to do in the week(s) before they get FSD Beta. Right now some are only learning how to fool the score and reset any bad drives. Many are learning to moderate certain aspects of their driving in positive ways to get a better score. Not sure that's preparing them for FSD Beta in any way though.
Actually I believe they've stopped calling it FSD Beta rather they call it in documentation nav on city streets. FSD is someone in Boston can say NAV to San Francisco and the car will. By looking at the YT videos, this thing is dangerous. Reading between the lines FSD will require HW4. It's uncertain if anyone, after being upgraded to HW3 will get HW4 for free. What I referred to is the car for taking a right turn, presumably left as well, the car creeps into the intersection an then waits several seconds before concluding its safe. That's a recipe for crash.
The videos I refer to are from James Locke. He may well be on here too.

This is a good point - $10k as an option is practically a brick wall barrier for new car purchases, but ... what was it, $200 a month, cancel any time? I haven't heard anyone saying that's what they did, but I imagine it'll be pretty compelling to tech-nerds that couldn't afford/didn't want to slam out the $10k for FSD up front. It's a good way to try it out and potentially experience the beta...
I would hope they don't do that. For someone who 3+years ago paid $10k for FSD only to have their neighbor who paid $200 get it first? I can't see that playing well in Peoria!

• Love
Reactions: FalconFour
I would hope they don't do that. For someone who 3+years ago paid $10k for FSD only to have their neighbor who paid $200 get it first? I can't see that playing well in Peoria!
FSD wasn't $10k 3 years ago... the $10k thing is a relatively recent phenomenon. As some of the FSD features have started materializing, ElonCo seems to keep rationalizing pushing the price higher and higher, and now with EAP gone, FSD is the only way to get features that were previously grouped under the $5k EAP option. If I recall correctly (I may not), I think EAP was $5k + FSD as $3k but getting you nothing but promises.

For what you got, at least $3k was a more rational price tag. Now, it's just AP with a few extra cool features that definitely aren't worth $10k extra.

Oh - but yeah, newcomers floating along and being able to pay $200 just to see if they like it, that's... ha-ha, welp, a bit a slap to those that paid the full $10k. Spare me the "monthly subscription vs. putting it on your loan" calculations, y'all... you can't shrug and say "I'd like to not pay that this month" to a loan and just straight save some money by switching the features off.

Reactions: Microterf