Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Official "ludicrous speed upgrade for existing P85D" installation tracking thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let's use this thread just for discussing and tracking waitlists, scheduling, installation, pricing, and logistics of the Ludicrous Speed Upgrade/Retrofit for Existing P85D cars. I think there are plenty of other threads discussing pros/cons, technical, value, misrepresentation, game changing, "where's autopilot?", etc., so let's just focus on the details for those who are going to get the upgrade.

I'll start. Added to Rocklin SC waitlist yesterday. They truly have no details other than what's on the blog post.

What timeframe and cost did Rocklin give you?

A tiny bit of info. Tesla Rocklin says the price for ludicrous and 90kwh battery upgrade is $22,000. No info on labor though.

....and battery? That means they don't plan to recycle the one that comes out but rather test it, certify it, and then use it as a warrant replacement or loaner. i.e. they're giving a substantial credit for the battery. I wonder if they'd prorate it based on miles?

Also, if the contactors and fuse are in the battery, wouldn't it save on labor to have them swap out the entire thing as a unit? You'd be good to go in an hour and would only pay labor for swapping + whatever upgrade cost to the 90L battery is.

I figure it's worth pointing out that it's been nearly a month since the Ludicrous mode update/retrofit for P85D owners was announced and none of the service centers I've spoken with have any idea about when/how/etc on it. They have no procedure, no parts, nothing related to updating existing P85Ds. No labor costs, no 85->90 pack swap costs, nothing at all. Anyone heard anything different?

Considering the original info gives us 6 months to do the update we've already lost 16% of that time because Tesla, as usual, seems to have no idea what they're doing internally.