Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Official Model S Child Seat Thread - reviews, pictures, and discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I figured you might ask that question when I wrote it. In the electrical world, it's about whether it's listed for the specific application. If it's listed for the purpose, then yes - I would use it all day long.

I didn't mean to say that my simple testing was all that was required - in fact, I relied upon the manufacturer's statements that theirs had been properly tested and certified appropriately.

Now, they come in many different sizes -- some as short as 3 inches, some as long as 12 inches. You don't want a very, very long one because it alters the geometry of the seat belt. However, in the Tesla, with the Graco booster, it doesn't alter the geometry for my 7 year old son (the head is where the seatbelt normally travelled under the armrest anyway).

It has passed child seat safety checks without concern. I'm comfortable with it.

Thanks for this.

Got my Model S today. Popped my girlfriend's Graco seat in it. Seatbelt cannot be buckled at all. Were planning a 3,400 km road trip this Saturday. That's a small snag (for a car that costs a fortune and is sold based in part on its safety).

Hopefully the extender will fix the problem.

I'm hoping that this post will assist those who are having difficulty finding booster seats that do not cover the belt buckle.

We recently took delivery of a Model X and learned that our child's Graco booster and Clek seat was too wide. Both seat interfered with the belt buckle. The only way to make it work was to shift the booster seat off to the opposite side which led to the car seat being tilted (not safe). With the Clek booster seat, the armrest covered the belt buckle.

We found that the Harmony Youth Booster Seat (without LATCH) works well in both a MS and MX. The base of the seat is tapered which allows the seat to be centered nicely between the seat bolsters on either side without overlapping and covering the belt buckle. The best part is that it is sold at Walmart and cost only CDN $20.00.

Attached are some photos of the product itself and how it sits in the second row of a Model X. Works fine in the third row seats as well. Also attached are some photos with our Graco seat. I did not take any photos with the Clek seat at it was the same issue as the Graco.

Hope this helps those parents that have been having difficulty finding a booster seat that doesn't cover the belt buckle, but works. The only downside to the Harmony booster according to my son is that the armrests are too low and short to be useful. Can't have it all, but he will be safe.

Click on this link for pictures. The description is more or less a repeat of this post. Child booster seat for third row

However, What about front facing car seats that...
1. FIT Flush
2. how to protect the leather from indentions? Right now the graco seat i have cuts right into the headrest, and doesnt sit flush at all.

Just wanted to follow up on murphy335's post above...

Has anybody found a front facing carseat or convertible booster that fits flush and avoids damaging the headrests in the Model S next gen rear seats? I currently have a Britax Frontier 90 installed that seems to cut right into the rear head rest. Has anybody seen a carseat with a back that sits below the Model S' rear headrests?

I've seen posts about the Diono Radian RXT and R100. Can any current owners confirm if these cut into the headrest at all?

Thanks!

Thanks Yinn! That would be awesome! Enjoy the delivery experience!

As promised. Pictures attached.

Side note*Do NOT expect a Diono to fit rear facing with a front passenger. This did not work for us. We had to move the seat extremely far up, to the point where I could not even get into the car.

We did not try our other car seats yet.

Attachments

• IMG_2424.JPG
    IMG_2424.JPG
    370.8 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_2427.JPG
    IMG_2427.JPG
    308.3 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_2428.JPG
    IMG_2428.JPG
    204.6 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_2429.JPG
    IMG_2429.JPG
    399.9 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_2430.JPG
    IMG_2430.JPG
    372.3 KB · Views: 190
More for you. Evenflo Sureride

Our personal favorite. Chicco Nextfit Zip
It's bulky. It's heavy. But it seems the most secure, easy to use, and leaves the most leg room.

Front facing and rear facing shown.

Front facing you'll see the headrest touches only towards the bottom. If the 3, it's the one that seems least likely to leave a permanent crease.

Rear facing, shown for a 6' driver profile with 1-2" to spare. Adjusted for optimal tilt. There's still room to give another 1" if tilted more.

Attachments

• IMG_2439.JPG
    IMG_2439.JPG
    388.4 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_2440.JPG
    IMG_2440.JPG
    309.3 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_2438.JPG
    IMG_2438.JPG
    332.7 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_2435.JPG
    IMG_2435.JPG
    247.5 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_2443.JPG
    IMG_2443.JPG
    247.2 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_2446.JPG
    IMG_2446.JPG
    182.7 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_2444.JPG
    IMG_2444.JPG
    291.3 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_2448.JPG
    IMG_2448.JPG
    377.6 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_2449.JPG
    IMG_2449.JPG
    386.1 KB · Views: 177
Anyone have a highback booster recommendation for the Model S? We have a bunch of Graco Turboboster but the forward leaning head rest causes the back of the set to not lay flush with the car seat. I'd prefer a highback booster over a 2-n-1 or other convertable seat since those tend to be quite large. Latching is desired to keep the seat from moving around empty. Thanks.

I went to BuyBuyBaby yesterday and tried every high back booster with no luck. They all leaned forward. Right now I'm using a 5-n-1 Graco Nautilus seat that comes close to touching the back seat but does press into the headrest pretty bad. Looking for a solution whenever someone finds one.

reviving this thread. Our Diono Radian XT definitely Cuts into the rear headrest facing forward pretty bad. The next lowest forward-facing seat we've seen in a Tesla Model S is the Pria 85 which happens to sit right below the rear headrest... Just an FYI

reviving this thread. Our Diono Radian XT definitely Cuts into the rear headrest facing forward pretty bad. The next lowest forward-facing seat we've seen in a Tesla Model S is the Pria 85 which happens to sit right below the rear headrest... Just an FYI

I have about 6" of this: Armacell Tubolit 1/2 in. x 6 ft. Polyethylene Pipe Wrap Insulation-OEP05838 - The Home Depot where it cuts in. I've moved the carseat several times and no marks are left on the seat.
15825412-856a-4b53-92c7-abf3792e8a93_1000.jpg