Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Official: Model S Service Plans

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just read that alignments are no longer included in the service plan (not that everything online is true). Does anyone actually know if this changed for sure and if the change affects everyone from those of us who already have a extended service plan, or just new people who are purchasing one now that they changed the rules on them (no longer transferable etc...)

I just read that alignments are no longer included in the service plan (not that everything online is true). Does anyone actually know if this changed for sure and if the change affects everyone from those of us who already have a extended service plan, or just new people who are purchasing one now that they changed the rules on them (no longer transferable etc...)

I used one of my prepaid services last week and it was still included, but they told me that the alignment is no longer included in new Service Agreements.

It was never in writing as part of the standard contract to begin with. I checked with my DS before ordering and before purchasing my service agreement last October and was told alignments would be done for me if needed as part of annual service. Others as you may have read here have the same experience with what I'll term "legacy" agreements. My personal take is that now that agreements have become more specific, if owners buy since the change, you are under those new terms and alignments are extra cost. If you want a definitive answer for your specific situation, I'd suggest you contact Tesla Tech Support or your SC.

It was never in writing as part of the standard contract to begin with. I checked with my DS before ordering and before purchasing my service agreement last October and was told alignments would be done for me if needed as part of annual service. [...]
When I was in the SC back in Dec inquiring about various details of the prepaid service plans, I was told the same thing i.e. that alignments would be done as part of the annual service. I purchased the 4yr prepaid plan at end of January, and the agreement document they then sent me clearly states that wheel alignments (and tire rotations) ARE included in the annual service, however they must be done at a SC, and can't be done by a Ranger without extra cost.

OTOH, the same paragraph describing all the various services covered also has the very clear wording "subject to change by Tesla at any time and without notice, in its sole discretion". So there is that...

Perhaps there are geographical differences in coverage (I'm in Canada and my agreement is with Tesla Motors Canada) - so this may not match what the service plan agreement says in the US. I notice that the header of the document I received is marked "CANTSPA032013" which I interpret to likely mean the Canadian Tesla Service Plan Agreement dated Mar 2013. I inquired several times and was told this is the latest version of the service plan agreement.

I have a SC visit scheduled next week to check some misbehaving ultrasonic sensors - I will ask them again about the wheel alignments.

I used one of my prepaid services last week and it was still included, but they told me that the alignment is no longer included in new Service Agreements.
This is from the MyTesla page in my profile. I have 2 days remaining to purchase the service plans. Today's website information indicates they now have 3 plan options: 3 yr/1325; 4yr/2100; 8yr/4000. Each plan is 12,500 intervals. The plan includes a "wheel alignment check" which I guess could me they will do it...or it could be "Man, you need to have your wheels aligned."
A. Tesla’s Responsibilities
Tesla agrees to provide three, four, or eight (as applicable based upon the purchased Service Plan option) regularlyscheduled maintenance inspections at a Tesla Authorized Service Center at the intervals (whichever occurs first)specified in the “Service” column of the Plan section of this Agreement.
Notwithstanding the date this Agreement is purchased or becomes effective, maintenance inspections must be performedwithin 1,000 miles (1,600 kilometers) or 30 days of the specified maintenance intervals for Your selected Plan. Anyscheduled maintenance not completed within such time will be forfeited and no maintenance inspections will be added asa replacement for any such excluded maintenance inspections. The regularly scheduled maintenance inspections shallinclude the following (subject to change by Tesla at any time and without notice, in its sole discretion):

• Vehicle inspection;
  • Replacement or repair at the time of inspection of normal maintenance items, excluding the 12V battery, brake pads,
    and tires;
  • Wheel alignment check; and
  • Tire rotation.

My reading of the new 3 year plan is that it costs about $442 per visit (x 3 = ~$1325). The 4 year plan winds up costing $525 per visit and costs just under $800 more for the extra year. This means that if I buy a 3-year plan and pay $600 for the 4th visit, I've still saved money over the 4 year plan. Am I missing something???

Sandy

My reading of the new 3 year plan is that it costs about $442 per visit (x 3 = ~$1325). The 4 year plan winds up costing $525 per visit and costs just under $800 more for the extra year. This means that if I buy a 3-year plan and pay $600 for the 4th visit, I've still saved money over the 4 year plan. Am I missing something???

Yes you are, that fourth visit is $900, not $600. Service visits now cost differently. See the table at:

Service plans | Tesla Motors

I checked today and the My Tesla / Service sign up page now shows only a 4 year plan active on my car, even though I paid $3800 for 4+4 service plan on November 5th, 2015.

I sent an email to see what's up, but other people may want to check and make sure their page shows what they paid for is active.

I checked today and the My Tesla / Service sign up page now shows only a 4 year plan active on my car, even though I paid $3800 for 4+4 service plan on November 5th, 2015.

I sent an email to see what's up, but other people may want to check and make sure their page shows what they paid for is active.

Mine looks different that it has in the past, but still reflects the aggregate of what I signed up for, i.e. 8-years of prepaid service, and an extra 4-years of the service agreement (aka "extended warranty"). I still have to click the "Services Signup" button on my main page, and online "read agreement" links still reflect the newer terms we've been discussing -- not the ones in effect when I purchased in October. Online, for me it now shows:
Pre-paid Service Plans
- 3-year Plan - Prepaid
- 4-year Plan - Active purchased 10/5/2015
- 8-year Plan - Prepaid
Extended Service Agreement
- Active purchased 10/5/2915

...and I'm not personally worried for myself with what I see, especially as I have hard copy versions of terms for both agreements in effect when I purchased, as well as confirmation Tesla emails when those transactions went through with date/time stamps.

I'm not sure I see much value in the prepaid service plans unless the cost of service is going up in the future years. On the 3 year plan I think you save $175, but you have to pay $1,350 up front. It like a 12% discount for paying upfront 3 years. Doesn't seem compelling. Curious as to others views.

I'm not sure I see much value in the prepaid service plans unless the cost of service is going up in the future years. On the 3 year plan I think you save $175, but you have to pay $1,350 up front. It like a 12% discount for paying upfront 3 years. Doesn't seem compelling. Curious as to others views.
It's been discussed many times upthread, and there are many opinions.

IMHO:
  • the Tesla discount is more than I can make leaving the same money in a non-risky investment account
  • I like the fact I can budget costs to maintain my vehicle except for tires for it's life with me, and could come up with the additional cash to prepay for service at the time I purchased my MS
  • I will not be adding more than 12.5K miles/year on my ODO so I should be able to stay on an every-12-months use of the plan
  • I believe in having Tesla perform preventive service on my vehicle for the many subjective benefits I see that potentially providing -- on the other extreme, some owners may be happy to have zero preventive service performed during their (relatively short, or leased) ownership, but that IS NOT me
  • I like the ability I have to transfer unused prepaid service appts to a new private owner of my MS (I purchased my contract 10/2015)
  • and I personally suspect labor rates will continue to climb in future years just as it does with most other types of services across the USA. I doubt Tesla can be successful not giving raises to SC and service-related personnel, or avoid things like lease and tax increases for all their facilities for the 8 years I have prepaid service -- which if Tesla stays true to not making money off of service, means they will have to increase rates to deal with their increasing costs
...but you'll find other people taking contrary views to one or more of each of my personal considerations -- most of which have been discussed many times in this and other threads. Good luck with your decision.

mine also only shows 4 years active even though i purchased 8
My Tesla page does not shows 4+4 Prepay Service is active, but the Read Agreement link points to the new agreement, not the one active when I purchase the agreement.

I just noticed it no longer includes 8 years of roadside assistance. I cannot find a PDF of the original agreement and it's not my Tesla/My Documents. Can some one post it if they have a PDF copy of the old agreement?

My Tesla page does not shows 4+4 Prepay Service is active, but the Read Agreement link points to the new agreement, not the one active when I purchase the agreement.

I just noticed it no longer includes 8 years of roadside assistance. I cannot find a PDF of the original agreement and it's not my Tesla/My Documents. Can some one post it if they have a PDF copy of the old agreement?
You're not unique with My Tesla not presenting agreements that match what you signed-up for. I'm personally beyond that.

I don't have a PDF, as I wasn't smart enough in my "early Tesla days" to keep one when I signed-up (assuming Tesla would have done that for me), but I do have scanned pages from hardcopy I kept of both the Service Plan and ESA that were in effect as of 10-5-2016 when I signed-up. Here you go -- unfortunately you'll have to read instead of search! ;)

Attachments

• 10-5-2016 Prepaid Service Plan & Extended Service Agreement.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 110
You're not unique with My Tesla not presenting agreements that match what you signed-up for. I'm personally beyond that.

I don't have a PDF, as I wasn't smart enough in my "early Tesla days" to keep one when I signed-up (assuming Tesla would have done that for me), but I do have scanned pages from hardcopy I kept of both the Service Plan and ESA that were in effect as of 10-5-2016 when I signed-up. Here you go -- unfortunately you'll have to read instead of search! ;)

Thanks. I'm not really worried by the changes, but I would like to get the 8 years of roadside assistance I paid for.

It looks like the agreement does not mention the roadside assistance anyway. That must just have been on the web page.

Hopefully they just do the right thing and honor the 8 years. The San Diego Service Center has always gone above and beyond. I hope that continues and other service centers will do that same when traveling.