Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Official: Model S Service Plans

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a good question... been considering the 3 year option as a soon to be lease owner myself. Saves a bit of money vs paying in the future... but at the same time, do I have to do the 3rd year maintenance if I'm turning the vehicle at the same time? This is assuming I don't hit the mileage prior needed for the 3rd maintenance prior to the lease ending.

I had it available to purchase via my Tesla portal, they leave it hanging there for a LONG time before you no longer have the option to purchase.

Just looking for opinions. Our Model S is estimated to be delivered in the next 1 to 14 days. I have not yet purchased the service plan. Our expected annual miles are about 25-30K so even with the 8 year/100K plan we are looking at somewhere between 3-4 years to hit the 100K mile mark. What would y'all do? For me it is either the 8 year or nothing.

Just looking for opinions. Our Model S is estimated to be delivered in the next 1 to 14 days. I have not yet purchased the service plan. Our expected annual miles are about 25-30K so even with the 8 year/100K plan we are looking at somewhere between 3-4 years to hit the 100K mile mark. What would y'all do? For me it is either the 8 year or nothing.
You don't have to buy it now. You have plenty of time.

Harder call than it used to be. The first couple of years of Model S had all kinds of little design defects which were fixed for free under the service plan. Yours... is probably debugged. It's basically an insurance calculation; do you pay now, or take a low-probability chance of paying a lot more later?

Reactions: PtG62901
Harder call than it used to be. The first couple of years of Model S had all kinds of little design defects which were fixed for free under the service plan. Yours... is probably debugged. It's basically an insurance calculation; do you pay now, or take a low-probability chance of paying a lot more later?

If there are bugs, wouldnt tesla offer free updates, at least on the software side? I'm expecting my this weekend for delivery and my DS said dont get it. She didnt even try to sell me on it and explained that if its a lease, then theres no point to get it. Thoughts?

If there are bugs, wouldnt tesla offer free updates, at least on the software side? I'm expecting my this weekend for delivery and my DS said dont get it. She didnt even try to sell me on it and explained that if its a lease, then theres no point to get it. Thoughts?

There is less of a requirement on someone leasing to properly maintain the vehicle. Depending on your mileage, you can likely get away with two services and then turn in the vehicle at the end of the lease without doing the third... so all the pre-pay options would end up costing more than doing it on demand w/ out a service plan. I keep going back and forth... also not sure how many miles I want on my lease... torn between the 12.5 or 15k options...

I had 10, 12 and 15k option. I'm doing 12k since the difference between 12-15k may cost more if i dont reach 15k compared to just paying $0.25/mile

Reactions: javawolfpack
Take a close look at the lease about what it requires. I debated leasing vs. financing my recent S90D purchase and recall seeing a condition in the Tesla lease information that required having the annual maintenance checks performed as a condition for the guaranteed value at termination. I ended up deciding to finance and not lease, so I did not investigate that fully, but you might want to make sure you fully understand that aspect.

As for me, I'm still debating the prepaid maintenance and have about 2 weeks left to make that decision.

@PCMc I am going to do the annual maintenance but if you terminate the lease in year 3, there really is no need to do that 3rd maintenance under the lease... so paying for it would cost more. Unless you do more than the annual maintenance mileage in a year (so more 15K lease option) as then you would need to do 3 services during the 3 years based on mileage not time.

So I'm trying to figure this out...

3 year prepaid service, $1,325
One inspection per year or 12,500 miles (whichever comes first), up to 3 years or 37,500 miles

So if I put on 25,000 miles in less than a year, would I get 2 full services without any extra payments?

Versus 2 individual payments of $400 for a total of $800.

And subsequently, of I go 12,500 miles every half a year, I'd expect 6 services/inspections in 3 years. And that would all be covered within the 3-year prepaid $1,325? And it seems that if not prepaid, I'd be paying $3,000 ($400 x 2 + $700 x 2 + $400 x 2) in those first 3 years.

Are my math and assumptions correct here?

So I'm trying to figure this out...

So if I put on 25,000 miles in less than a year, would I get 2 full services without any extra payments?

Versus 2 individual payments of $400 for a total of $800.

And subsequently, of I go 12,500 miles every half a year, I'd expect 6 services/inspections in 3 years. And that would all be covered within the 3-year prepaid $1,325? And it seems that if not prepaid, I'd be paying $3,000 ($400 x 2 + $700 x 2 + $400 x 2) in those first 3 years.

Are my math and assumptions correct here?
Sorry, but I think you're dreaming. Tesla's ESA is just like other mfgr's prepaid service agreements -- a fixed number of services, prepaid for a fixed amount of money, to be used at a fixed time intervals OR mileage, whichever comes first. You could of course call your SC and ask them, but that's my understanding from my questioning of Tesla before I purchased my 8-year ESA.

@BertL I am a bit of a dreamer. ;) So it would be limited to just one per year? In which case it's just a savings of $175. I'd rather keep that money and collect more interest on it somewhere. Doesn't seem to make much sense to prepay at all. o_O

...unless I'm missing something else.

@BertL I am a bit of a dreamer. ;) So it would be limited to just one per year? In which case it's just a savings of $175. I'd rather keep that money and collect more interest on it somewhere. Doesn't seem to make much sense to prepay at all. o_O

...unless I'm missing something else.
IMHO, in general (so, yes there are exceptions, but for brevity), the benefits for ESA are for those owners who:
  1. Believe in the value of mfgr preventive service
  2. Have annual mileage <=12.5K miles
  3. Believe the price of service may well go up in future years as most service/labor-oriented things do, and prefer to budget as many auto costs as possible while they own their MS
  4. (Perhaps) plan to keep their vehicle longer than 3 years
It would seem you don't meet that criteria, whereas e.g. I do. I believe in mfgr (annual) PM, drive well less than 12.5K miles/year, and purchased (not leased) my MS as I have kept nearly all of my previous vehicles 5-8 years. Good luck with your decision and that MS!

@BertL...So it would be limited to just one per year?...
Oh, and there is nothing to stop you from using another prepaid service ahead of it's TIME, meaning you could use say prepaid service #1 at month 6, and prepaid service #2 at month 12 because you wanted to do maintenance based on MILEAGE. IMHO, it comes down to if you plan to have your MS serviced every 12.5K miles as the owners manual suggests, or push that out. Your Cost/Benefit analysis changes based on that decision. There are zillions of adamant people with varying POV on that elsewhere in this thread and others across TMC. ;)

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: msnow and fallen888
My car is on order and I could use some advice. I bought a 2014 Inventory Car that has 40k miles on the clock (high but since it's from inventory my warranty is 4/50 and battery 8/unlimited from now).

Will Tesla go by mileage instead of calendar year, so I would be looking at the 50k $900 service as my first service, complete with the battery coolant replacement? Does starting with high mileage affect the prepaid service costs? As far as I can tell, I would still get the same four services, just rotated in a different order.

I'm also thinking about paying out of pocket for that first service, then having my next service at 75k, skipping the inspection and cabin filter in between. I don't see how those have a $500 value, but I'm new here so if I'm way off base, please be gentle in correcting me!!