Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Official: Model S Service Plans

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not your fault! It's the maroons at Tesla that came up with that naming scheme!

Not quite.

If they called a "warranty" then they have to jump through all sorts of hoops with various state insurance boards, post bonds, etc. It's a royal PITA, so they HAVE to call it something else, even if it does the same things as an extended warranty . . . .

Reactions: Tes*la*rosa
So I have a couple weeks left on my 180 day window to purchase on my 2018 100D.
Worth it?
Worth it to do now, 3 1/2 years in advance, to save $500?
With rapidly evolving technology, I think odds better I hold car 6 years, but not 8 years, so was thinking of 2 year ESA for $2100 but don't know opinions of risk reward.
How much maintenance cost have others experienced on their MS after warranty expiration?

I'd buy it, with the expectation that you can get a full refund if you end up not using it/trading the car, etc.

Don't know if that expectation is legit--check the paperwork to know for sure.

This was good to know. I had a major failure three weeks after my original new-car warranty expired, namely the dreaded memory failure in my car's MCU. So they will replace the computer. the SC did not quote a price but I have seen figures north of $2000 for this. I asked whether, if I bought an ESA, it would apply to this replacement (I was worried they might exclude it). Service writer said they would cover the MCU if I bought the ESA, so I did. Nothing like a crisis to focus your mind before the final absolute last moment when I could do something!

Frankly, I would encourage everyone to sign up for the ESA as either way, it's a win-win.

If you don't end up needing any post-warranty repairs (which would be a huge fluke/rarity), then Tesla gets another $4k+ to help make our planet habitable for future generations (and admirable goal, no?).

If you do have repairs--wham, you're covered and you made an excellent choice!

What's not to love?!?

Not quite.

If they called a "warranty" then they have to jump through all sorts of hoops with various state insurance boards, post bonds, etc. It's a royal PITA, so they HAVE to call it something else, even if it does the same things as an extended warranty . . . .

uh, yes, quite. We all know why they don't actually call it a warranty, but thanks for mansplaining that.

Given that, they still could have come up with better, less confusing names than "Extended Service Agreement" and "Extended Service Plan".

Frankly, I would encourage everyone to sign up for the ESA as either way, it's a win-win.

If you don't end up needing any post-warranty repairs (which would be a huge fluke/rarity), then Tesla gets another $4k+ to help make our planet habitable for future generations (and admirable goal, no?).

If you do have repairs--wham, you're covered and you made an excellent choice!

What's not to love?!?

And one other point -- you can cancel the agreement and get a prorated amount of money back. This might make sense if you decide to sell or trade the car before the ESA is up, and are not confident that you would get full recognition of the value of it in your price.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
Unfortunately, no. The pre-owned warranty is the end of the line.
That sucks. They could be making some more money if they opened up the ESA to us. I contacted X-care and inquired with them about picking up their warranty once mine expired. They offered a 4 year warranty that would expire in 2023 that would run concurrent with the rest of my Tesla warranty for a "DISCOUNTED" $4,800. WTF. Its basically a 2 year warranty since my Tesla warranty expires in 2021 for almost $5k. I was also told that the price was "heavily" discounted. Looks like Im going warranty-less starting 2021.

They could be making some more money if they opened up the ESA to us. I

They probably wouldn't make more money.. they know (as most car warranty companies know) that it costs a lot more to warranty a car with >100k miles than a car with 30k miles. In order to "make money" they'd have to charge you A LOT more for the same coverage, as you found out from XCARE. Just contact XCARE near the end of your Tesla warranty and see what they can offer then.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
They probably wouldn't make more money.. they know (as most car warranty companies know) that it costs a lot more to warranty a car with >100k miles than a car with 30k miles. In order to "make money" they'd have to charge you A LOT more for the same coverage, as you found out from XCARE. Just contact XCARE near the end of your Tesla warranty and see what they can offer then.
My plan, thanks.

I took delivery of my 2019 Model S in early July. I recently inquired about purchasing the "extended service agreement", as I want to buy one before the 180 day discount expires. I was told by Tesla that they have not yet made extended warranties available for the Raven. Does that sound right to anybody?

That is odd. I took delivery of a non-raven MS LR in June and had no trouble purchasing the 75K six year warranty agreement just before the 180 day period ended. However, it's been two months and there is still no mention of the extended warranty in my account info...

OK.....I took delivery of my 2018 Model S on Feb. 23, 2018. Before my 6 month deadline for purchasing the 4 year maintenance plan and a 4 year Extended Service Agreement, I purchased both.
This is my receipt dated August 16, 2018.

Your Order:
4-Year Maintenance Plan
4-Year Extended Service Agreement
$2,400.00
$4,250.00
Applicable Taxes $603.50
Total Payment $7,253.50

What I would love to know is
#1: WHY this is STILL not showing up on my Tesla account online
#2: Since I paid $7,253.50 for BOTH, now the same thing is only $4800? Do I understand this correctly?
((In August 2018 there WERE NO CHOICES as there are today. I presume I get the unlimited ranger service as well.))
#3: WHY are those of us who purchased as I did not notified of these changes and additional verification that my purchases are the best that could be purchased in 2018 AND now?

How many annual maintenance services have you had? You can probably get reimbursed for any unused service visits as they don't sell the annual service plan anymore.

Also, I've had the ESA since I bought my car (used) in 2017. It used to show up on the TESLA ACCOUNT page, but it dropped of when they updated the site. It's still active though, as I've had my car in for service a few times, including a mobile ranger visit tomorrow.

As far as "notification" from Tesla.. communication is not their strong point.

How many annual maintenance services have you had? You can probably get reimbursed for any unused service visits as they don't sell the annual service plan anymore.

Also, I've had the ESA since I bought my car (used) in 2017. It used to show up on the TESLA ACCOUNT page, but it dropped of when they updated the site. It's still active though, as I've had my car in for service a few times, including a mobile ranger visit tomorrow.

As far as "notification" from Tesla.. communication is not their strong point.
I haven't even had my first service yet. Should've had it in the Spring but elderly parent very ill and I was out of town most of the Spring and Summer. So, I have 9100 miles on my car but no services yet. I don't even know how to "apply" for a refund but I'd sure like to have one since it looks like I WAY OVERPAID.
Any suggestions as to how I should address this would be much appreciated.
Thanks!

I would suggest starting here: Tesla SSO – Login

Or once you're logged in, go to your car's detail page and there should be a "request help" button.

upload_2019-11-13_23-32-9.png

• Helpful
Reactions: CBPfromTN
I'd buy it, with the expectation that you can get a full refund if you end up not using it/trading the car, etc.

Don't know if that expectation is legit--check the paperwork to know for sure.
My thoughts were when I purchased the 4 year maintenance plan was that each year the annual maintenance would also go up, so I figured I would get today's price. My issue is that I purchased the 4 year maintenance plan in August of 2018 and my price was much higher than it is now. I paid over $7200 for the 4 year maintenance plan and the 4 year extended warranty and now, a littler over a year later, it's $4800 for the exact same thing I paid $7200 for a year ago. Not pleased.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
I took delivery of my 2019 Model S in early July. I recently inquired about purchasing the "extended service agreement", as I want to buy one before the 180 day discount expires. I was told by Tesla that they have not yet made extended warranties available for the Raven. Does that sound right to anybody?
No, it doesn't sound right.

I'd visit this page and then email someone with the link, advising, "Me buy this please." (It says nothing about excluding Ravens; I'd tell your source to pound sand, or prove it. Please let us know what you find out. Thx!)

Extended Service Agreement

My thoughts were when I purchased the 4 year maintenance plan was that each year the annual maintenance would also go up, so I figured I would get today's price. My issue is that I purchased the 4 year maintenance plan in August of 2018 and my price was much higher than it is now. I paid over $7200 for the 4 year maintenance plan and the 4 year extended warranty and now, a littler over a year later, it's $4800 for the exact same thing I paid $7200 for a year ago. Not pleased.
it is a maintenance plan or extended warranty plan.....I am confused by what you said......did not know Tesla offered a maintenence plan