Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Official: Model S Service Plans

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the current $4250 service agreement is not a maintenance plan it says so in the link provided above. Not sure if there is even a maintenance plan available any more. My Tesla guy did not even mention this extended warranty kinda upset about that bec I buy it for all my new cars.
Any way it says that I can buy the extended service plan 30 days or 1000 miles past my factory warranty expiration so does that mean if I don’t buy it now I can buy it at the end and pay the same amount or does the price go up as there are more miles and years on the car?

the current $4250 service agreement is not a maintenance plan it says so in the link provided above. Not sure if there is even a maintenance plan available any more. My Tesla guy did not even mention this extended warranty kinda upset about that bec I buy it for all my new cars.
Any way it says that I can buy the extended service plan 30 days or 1000 miles past my factory warranty expiration so does that mean if I don’t buy it now I can buy it at the end and pay the same amount or does the price go up as there are more miles and years on the car?

The maintenance plan is no longer available... all services are now available ala carte.

The ESA, Extended Service Agreement warranty is only available within 30 days or 1000 miles past your factory warranty expiration for a fixed price as shown below. Hope this helps. :cool:

upload_2019-12-3_18-45-50.png

Are headlights included in ESA? for $4250 you would expect them to be, IMHO. My 2016 Model S LED eyebrows had partially gone out and were planned to be replaced under ESA. Once ranger came out, dispatcher called and pointed out a part of agreement where it says light bulbs are not covered, here:
upload_2020-1-31_6-58-30.png

They were kind enough to replace driver's side under goodwill since they had it in stock and ranger was already here.These are not light bulbs though, these are LED and they are built in to headlight unit so they are not exactly a wear item expected to be DIY replaced. Typical Service agreement item, or? Light bulbs are in the repeaters for example. Seems fair that we pay for those. The head lights are $1100 each, seems kind of steep to pay that every time an LED goes out in addition to $4250.

What do you all think?

Edit: Got email from Tesla: The passenger side headlight will cost $1478.75

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Are headlights included in ESA? for $4250 you would expect them to be, IMHO. My 2016 Model S LED eyebrows had partially gone out and were planned to be replaced under ESA. Once ranger came out, dispatcher called and pointed out a part of agreement where it says light bulbs are not covered, here:View attachment 506282

They were kind enough to replace driver's side under goodwill since they had it in stock and ranger was already here.These are not light bulbs though, these are LED and they are built in to headlight unit so they are not exactly a wear item expected to be DIY replaced. Typical Service agreement item, or? Light bulbs are in the repeaters for example. Seems fair that we pay for those. The head lights are $1100 each, seems kind of steep to pay that every time an LED goes out in addition to $4250.

What do you all think?

Edit: Got email from Tesla: The passenger side headlight will cost $1478.75

To the best of my knowledge, every Model S and X (and 3) have zero light bulbs. All lighting is LED.

For Tesla to expect us to pay four figures for a defective headlight, that is somehow, arbitrarily NOT included in the ESA, is another example of "Great Products, Terrible Company."

Insanely poor customer service. They need to revise the ESA language ASAP. I would escalate this if I were you, but not sure if Tesla gives a damn anymore, at least at the middle-management level.

Let us know how it goes.

Reactions: FlatSix911 and Olle
Are these options still available for new owners? Just purchased my 2020 Model S Performance on 12/13/19

Yes, you have six months to purchase at the reduced price however. After that, the price jumps.

To the best of my knowledge, you can purchase until just after your regular warranty expires at the regular price as well, and if you buy it and don't use it (i.e. trade the car in, it's totaled, etc.) they'll refund the money if you ask for it. (But you'll want to confirm this first as things are always changing at Tesla.)

Reactions: derichio02
Thanks for the info. Where can I purchase or get more info. I don’t see anything in my Tesla account.

Tesla used to make it easy to buy Extended Service Agreement (extended warranty) online (the website used to mention that specifically).

However, it has changed that you need to buy it from a Service Center.

Extended Service Agreement

(Any mention of online purchase was now removed).

Reactions: derichio02
Correct, they are not encouraging the ESA purchase any more... I wonder why? :cool:
I see two possibilities:

A. The cars built in the last 49 months are, and will be, of such extremely high quality that Elon feels that selling ESA's is stealing from his customers. Or,

B. The ESA's cost Tesla an unbelievable amount of money because the cars have so very many problems in years four to eight.

We've owned 8 Model S's and I'd guess it might be "B," but it hard to say, frankly. Only Elon and Tesla know . . . .

• Love
Reactions: FlatSix911
To the best of my knowledge, every Model S and X (and 3) have zero light bulbs. All lighting is LED.

For Tesla to expect us to pay four figures for a defective headlight, that is somehow, arbitrarily NOT included in the ESA, is another example of "Great Products, Terrible Company."

Insanely poor customer service. They need to revise the ESA language ASAP. I would escalate this if I were you, but not sure if Tesla gives a damn anymore, at least at the middle-management level.

Let us know how it goes.
I tried to escalate, but didn't see the escalate function when I logged o yesterday. Where did you find it?

Has anyone successfully purchased an ESA for a Raven? I saw a post in this thread that said it wasn’t available.

Well, this page states that any Model S or X owner can buy one via a visit to their local Service Center--in contrast to the "old days" when one could buy one online (and no reference to the Raven):

It seems so odd--it's almost as if they don't really want us buying them . . . but anyone planning to keep a Tesla past the standard warranty period should have one, if only for peace of mind. They're fully refundable if you end up trading or selling it early, but they add a LOT to a private party resale IMHO.

I tried to escalate, but didn't see the escalate function when I logged o yesterday. Where did you find it?
Disappeared long ago. Escalation went to Jon McNeill - he left years ago. they never replaced Mcneill so there wasn't an escalation path. Tesla doesn't even have anyone running service, that's why service got so bad.

Well, this page states that any Model S or X owner can buy one via a visit to their local Service Center--in contrast to the "old days" when one could buy one online (and no reference to the Raven):

It seems so odd--it's almost as if they don't really want us buying them . . . but anyone planning to keep a Tesla past the standard warranty period should have one, if only for peace of mind. They're fully refundable if you end up trading or selling it early, but they add a LOT to a private party resale IMHO.

I bought one and am already glad I did, and I am only 10 months past the end of the factory warranty. I bought it initially because of the pending MCU replacement, which at the time was quoted as $2500 or so. The MCU replacement cost has since dropped, but 2 weeks ago I also had my two parking calipers replaced (one failed), at a quoted cost of over $1100. So, those two jobs alone would have cost me about $2600 or so, and they were done together for one $200 deductible payment. If I had bought the 2-year plan, its cost would already be fully covered. I did buy the 4-year plan, and it is not hard to imagine covering the cost of the additional $2000 or so with other repairs in the next 3 years.

FWIW, the service writer commented that he thinks Tesla is probably losing money on the ESAs. He has no real way to know that, so I doubt he is an authoritative source, and maybe he was just making me feel better for having shelled out the money, but....

Just had my MCU replaced under the ESA. Didn't think it was worth upgrading the MCU as most of the upgrades can't be used on my 2015 anyway.... Is there a way to get Sirius on it like it has spotify? Also had to replace the 12v batter. Thank goodness for the ESA

Reactions: David29
I bought one and am already glad I did, and I am only 10 months past the end of the factory warranty. I bought it initially because of the pending MCU replacement, which at the time was quoted as $2500 or so. The MCU replacement cost has since dropped, but 2 weeks ago I also had my two parking calipers replaced (one failed), at a quoted cost of over $1100. So, those two jobs alone would have cost me about $2600 or so, and they were done together for one $200 deductible payment. If I had bought the 2-year plan, its cost would already be fully covered. I did buy the 4-year plan, and it is not hard to imagine covering the cost of the additional $2000 or so with other repairs in the next 3 years.

FWIW, the service writer commented that he thinks Tesla is probably losing money on the ESAs. He has no real way to know that, so I doubt he is an authoritative source, and maybe he was just making me feel better for having shelled out the money, but....

Concur with buying the ESA, and glad that it has been useful for you.

Comments:

1. While your service writer has only a small window into the total Tesla fleet, it IS a window into the reliability and long-term quality of the Model S and X; it's what he sees every day for heaven's sake. I think the reasons stated are, sadly, likely correct--Tesla appears to have a very poor grasp of Quality, as taught by Deming so many years ago, and it shows up in the products, in spades, as they age. Quality is an actual field of study, one that many have no clue about. It's the old adage: You don't know what you don't know . . . .

2. This likely also explains why Tesla makes it a pain in the ass to buy the ESA, requiring at site visit to a local Service Center vs. an in-app purchase--perhaps they just don't want to sell them knowing they lose money on the ESA's because the long-term reliability of the cars is so low?

3. This may also sadly explain why they don't even offer an ESA for the Model 3 or Model Y. Given the greatly increased volume on those models, perhaps Tesla doesn't believe the car is worth supporting after four years, or they would have to charge even more for the ESA ($6k, $8k?) to break even?

All very disappointing and negative thoughts, but in the absence of real data we can only speculate based on what we see and hear.

Sometimes, often even, Tesla is a brilliant company seemingly filled with fabulously intelligent and capable employees led by Elon; other times they can't find their bottoms with two hands . . . .

Just one thing to keep in mind when judging rate of failures from service techs ... they tend to see the ones that have problems, but typically do not see all the people that do not have problems. All the owners that without problems and also do not bring their cars in for periodic maintenance items mean there is a portion of the population which techs never see.

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
Just had my MCU replaced under the ESA. Didn't think it was worth upgrading the MCU as most of the upgrades can't be used on my 2015 anyway... Is there a way to get Sirius on it like it has Spotify? Also had to replace the 12v battery. Thank goodness for the ESA

I also purchased the 4 year ESA and need to decide if I want to replace my MCU1 under warranty for $200 or upgrade to MCU2 for $2,500.

There is some discussion on TMC that the MCU2 upgrade cost under warranty may be reduced to $1,750.

If MCU1 fails under warranty, can MCU2 be negotiated cheaper?