Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Official: Model S Service Plans

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla's approach to service is compelling to me, but also intriguing and poses some questions where we don't have much reference since few (no?) other carmakers have ever offered such service plans. For example the wheel and tire package is interesting to me: if it does cover just ordinary wear of tires (which I would assume it does at the yearly price) then it will be very important to define in a very detailed way what the trigger will be for replacing the tire. For example, I would not be very happy if I had bought this agreement and came in for a service with performance tires that according to me were getting thin in places and not performing well anymore (tires that I would have replaced at this point myself had I not had the service plan) but Tesla then tells me that according to their standards the tires will be fine for another xxx number of miles or xxx number of months or similar. Also, would they cover excessive wear of tires, i.e. can I drive like a car thief all day any day? There are some threads about the Performance with 21" tires where the inner edge is reported to thin quite rapidly due to negative camber angle and strong torque.

The wording on the wheel and tire coverage is confusing. Is it 12,500 miles per year or total? If 12,500 per year for a total of 50k miles then its a good deal. It's not if its 12,500 miles OR 4 years.

Still Confused

K I'm a little slow. The 4-YEAR ANYWHERE PLAN + 4-YEAR EXTENSION is 4800.

This is simply the yearly service plus a 4 year extension with unlimited Ranger visits. Correct?

The EXTENDED SERVICE AGREEMENT is 2500. This is an extended warranty? Correct?

How long is our original warranty?

I don't have the option for the $2500 "Extended Service Agreement".

Also, it kind of stinks that the 4+4 year plans aren't offered at a discount compared to the 4 year plans.

The mileage covered also sucks. At minimum, it should cover 60,000 miles for four years.

Does anyone else think the Tire and Wheel Replacement Program might have a typo? 4 years or 12,500 miles (whichever comes first) is a very strange combination. I'm assuming it should be 4 years or 50,000 miles otherwise it is really a 1 year program for most people.

That has to be a typo.

Does anyone else think the Tire and Wheel Replacement Program might have a typo? 4 years or 12,500 miles (whichever comes first) is a very strange combination. I'm assuming it should be 4 years or 50,000 miles otherwise it is really a 1 year program for most people.

The service plan page lists the limits at 4 years, 50,000 miles.

Tesla Service | Tesla Motors

- - - Updated - - -

Only the tire plan is available for me.

Same here.

That has to be a typo.

Considering the toe/camber issues discussed on other threads and that the general treadwear for the 21's are only lasting about 6000-7000 miles before balding and needing replacement, I don't think that is a typo. 12,500 miles sounds right to me. If anyone is able to get their 21s to last longer than that, I'd be really surprised. But then again, damages by these types of mechanical failures are not included either...soooo I do not understand the point of this service contract. The description says "insure your tires and wheels against road hazard damage", but there are literally a ridiculous number of exclusions under the terms of the contract. Reading through the contract, it seems to me that damages of any kind are excluded. So the contract cancels itself out and you're paying $700 for nothing? lol. I would pay if it covered wear and tear, but it does not...so I don't get it. please enlighten me.

fyi, for the 'prepaid service plans', there's line at the top for me that says '40 days remaining to purchase.

Am I reading it correctly that the Extended Service Agreement (extended warranty) has a $200 deductible for service on any given part?

Those who are more knowledgeable in this kind of thing: could you comment on whether you think purchase of the Extended Service Agreement plus 4-year Extension of service plan will cover the normal [costly] failures reported in air suspensions?

I ask because the Extended Service Agreement specifically excludes "shock absorbers" and only applies to parts that fail where "Failure does not include the gradual reduction in operating performance due to normal wear and tear." Thanks.

Last edited:
Considering the toe/camber issues discussed on other threads and that the general treadwear for the 21's are only lasting about 6000-7000 miles before balding and needing replacement, I don't think that is a typo. 12,500 miles sounds right to me. If anyone is able to get their 21s to last longer than that, I'd be really surprised. But then again, damages by these types of mechanical failures are not included either...soooo I do not understand the point of this service contract. The description says "insure your tires and wheels against road hazard damage", but there are literally a ridiculous number of exclusions under the terms of the contract. Reading through the contract, it seems to me that damages of any kind are excluded. So the contract cancels itself out and you're paying $700 for nothing? lol. I would pay if it covered wear and tear, but it does not...so I don't get it. please enlighten me.

fyi, for the 'prepaid service plans', there's line at the top for me that says '40 days remaining to purchase.

The wheel/tire insurance plans I've had in the past transfer to new tires. You buy a policy that is based on the mileage of the vehicle and length of time. It's understood that normal wear will occur. If you replace the tires because of wear (at your expense) the policy covers the new tires. It should be x miles, or y years, whichever comes first. It also covers you if you change your tires/wheels between summer and winter. Whichever wheel/tires are on the car is what is covered. It's road hazard insurance.

Edit:

Tesla has already changed it.

Insure your tires and wheels against road hazard damage. This program includes tire repair and replacement, wheel repair and replacement, tire mounting, tire balancing, and roadside assistance for four years, or 12,500 miles (whichever comes first), as long as you purchase by April 15th, 2013 or within 15 days of your Model S Performance delivery.

It is 4 years or 12,500 miles. And now it's $900 instead of $700. Unless you live in NJ, this may not be a good deal. I'd be surprised if you couldn't get a better deal through tirerack. Further, reading the agreement-

Original equipment is defined as the wheels and tires installed on the vehicle at the time of purchase/delivery, including wheel and tire packagesapproved by the vehicle manufacturer and the selling dealer as an upgrade option to the standard equipment. Wheels installed by the customer,the dealer, or any other facility or person after the date the vehicle was purchased/delivered that are not replacement wheels authorized by theAdministrator are considered aftermarket wheels and are specifically excluded from coverage. Installation of aftermarket wheels voids all benefitsand coverage of this Contract.

So it appears snow wheels/tires would not be covered, unless you buy them directly from Tesla.

Last edited:
Tesla has already changed it.

Insure your tires and wheels against road hazard damage. This program includes tire repair and replacement, wheel repair and replacement, tire mounting, tire balancing, and roadside assistance for four years, or 12,500 miles (whichever comes first), as long as you purchase by April 15th, 2013 or within 15 days of your Model S Performance delivery.

It is 4 years or 12,500 miles. And now it's $900 instead of $700. Unless you live in NJ, this may not be a good deal. I'd be surprised if you couldn't get a better deal through tirerack.

The main body of the website still says 50,000 miles or 4 years. And the price depends on the wheels: $700 for 19 inch, $900 for 21 inch.

Sounds to me that it covers 4 pre-paid annual service visits, either at the Service Center or by a Ranger depending on what you get. It is separate from warranty...I haven't seen the service schedule yet, but I'm imagining this would cover the maintenance items that you would normally have the dealer perform at the annual intervals....

I just bought my 4 year + ranger plan, but I'm not buying the extended because there's really no incentive to do so... and I have no idea what the other plan is... nobody here seems to know either. I think they should have explained it better.

ESA is the extended warranty. It extends your original warranty from 4 years/80k to 8 years 160k.

And there is incentive to buy the 8 year maintenance plan. It's $4000CAD for 8 years vs. $4500 if you only buy the first 4 years prepaid...

ESA is the extended warranty. It extends your original warranty from 4 years/80k to 8 years 160k.

And there is incentive to buy the 8 year maintenance plan. It's $4000CAD for 8 years vs. $4500 if you only buy the first 4 years prepaid...

Hey mnx,

I didn't see what you're saying... I saw that first 4 years was $2500 (I took unlimited ranger too), and first 4 + additional 4 was $5000. Exactly double. Have they changed it since I ordered it 10 minutes ago? :)