Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Official: Model S Service Plans

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To much legalize for this farm boy; there are 26 items listed as exclusions the contract will not pay or reimburse for. Reading the contract literally, the big exclusion is how Tesla defines a road hazard; it does not appear that a tire is covered if the road hazard happens on a private road, or while in a parking lot, a dirt road (KOA campgrounds for charging) or even your own driveway.

WHAT IS ROAD HAZARD DAMAGE?
Road hazard damage is damage that occurs when a tire or wheel fails as a result of a puncture, bruise, or impact break
incurred during the course of driving in a legal manner on a road maintained by state or local authority. Nails, glass and potholes are the most common examples
of road hazards.

Isn't there a more straight forward language that can be used: You get your wheel or tire tire damaged through no fault of your own we will fix it or replace it. The way it's written now I have no idea if the "Administrator" will approve a claim.

Let me see if I understand this correctly. We get a 4 year or 50,000 mile warranty with the purchase of the car. In order for this warranty to remain in effect, we need to have Tesla do service to the vehicle every year or 12,500 miles. We can buy 4 years of these yearly (or every 12,500 miles) services for $1900 or 8 years for $3800. Regardless, the warranty ends in 4 years, unless we buy the extended service agreement for $2500 which increases the term of the warranty to a total of 8 years. If you don't continue the yearly services, though, the extended warranty is void as having the services done is a prerequisite for warranty coverage. So if you get the extended warranty, you should get the extended yearly services since they are required to keep the warranty. Is that right? What does the additional Tesla Ranger service cover? Just the yearly services or repairs covered under the warranty as well?

can i ask, has anyone received an email or call from tm about the service plans being available? i have to say, i find it annoying, at the least, that many 'official' things, like the service plans being available--and, oh yeah, i have 40 days to purchase one or else--and the mobile app being released, i have to find out on this forum. aren't these things that i should be receiving official tm emails about? i can't read this forum for the rest of my life. at some point my car manufacturer will need to take over these responsibilities.

/rant.

(yes, i sent ownership an email.)

Let me see if I understand this correctly. We get a 4 year or 50,000 mile warranty with the purchase of the car. In order for this warranty to remain in effect, we need to have Tesla do service to the vehicle every year or 12,500 miles. We can buy 4 years of these yearly (or every 12,500 miles) services for $1900 or 8 years for $3800. Regardless, the warranty ends in 4 years, unless we buy the extended service agreement for $2500 which increases the term of the warranty to a total of 8 years. If you don't continue the yearly services, though, the extended warranty is void as having the services done is a prerequisite for warranty coverage. So if you get the extended warranty, you should get the extended yearly services since they are required to keep the warranty. Is that right? What does the additional Tesla Ranger service cover? Just the yearly services or repairs covered under the warranty as well?
Are you offered the $2500 Extended Service Agreement? I am no, and thought maybe it was a WA thing.

- - - Updated - - -

can i ask, has anyone received an email or call from tm about the service plans being available? i have to say, i find it annoying, at the least, that many 'official' things, like the service plans being available--and, oh yeah, i have 40 days to purchase one or else--and the mobile app being released, i have to find out on this forum. aren't these things that i should be receiving official tm emails about? i can't read this forum for the rest of my life. at some point my car manufacturer will need to take over these responsibilities.
No notice here, and I have found from day one that customer communications were not much of a priority with Tesla.

Waiting for confirmation, but sounds like it's an error. You should confirm before buying, but it sounds like it's for 50,000 miles.

yeah, this better be an error. 4 years or 12,500 miles, whichever comes first....?? uhh, let me guess....

i think they are caught between wanting to insure only the original tires with purchase, and the wheels, which will naturally have more than one set of new tires over a 4 year period in all but the most atypical of cases.

I got an e-mail at 5:16pm, MDT, today. That is within 17 hours of it appearing on the web page.

I got an e-mail at 5:16pm, MDT, today. That is within 17 hours of it appearing on the web page.

oh, that's good to know, thanks. hopefully we all will. i don't need it on the exact day of non-announcement, but close to is fine...

on another note, the separate wheel/tire plan is highlighting for me the additional costs of service and kind of irking me. i've had bmw's for years, so i'm coddled and used to complete care and coverage (not damaged rims, true.. but i'm just saying it 'highlighted' the situation for me). in years past i never thought once about it. car needs regular service, they call me and i take it in, or they pick it up. done. washed. good as new. doesn't cost me anything, don't even have to remember to do it (unlike telsa's agreement which says if i don't bring it in within 1000mi of the schedule i forfeit that year's service.... huh?? never heard this kind of attitude before). and so, now that i've bought a hundred thousand dollar car, it's costing me another 4 or 5 grand to get services done, and i have to remember to get them done, or else they don't get done. grr. not accentuating the positive here with all this.

/rant # two.

(hm. they're annoying me today. maybe i need a vacation.) ((and to be fair, i suppose many a time they didn't have to call, i just made an appointment when the dash indicator came on...))

No, actually I haven't been offered the $2500 extended plan under the services sign up button but it is on the website here Tesla Service | Tesla Motors . Not sure why it's not under the button. Did you notice this :

The obligations of Tesla under this Agreement are backed by the full faith and credit of Tesla and
are not guaranteed under a service contract reimbursement policy.2

2 Except in Florida and Washington

What does that mean?

@dtich: I got an email this afternoon from the manager of my local service center announcing the availability of the service plans.

Now, please help me understand the following, taken from the fine print in the Tesla Service Plans Terms and Conditions document:

"The cost (if any) of transporting Your Vehicle is not included in this Agreement and You are solely responsible for the cost of transporting Your Vehicle to the Tesla Authorized Service Center. The cost of Tesla Ranger service will be subject to the applicable Plan specified in this Agreement."

Does that mean that any warranty work or required service that cannot be performed at my home during a (prepaid) Ranger visit requires me to fork out to have my S transported to a service center? I thought Ranger service meant Tesla was on the hook to get the car to a service center if it were necessary...that's the way it always worked with the Roadster, at least until they started charging $100 per Ranger visit.

Overall, I think Tesla rates about a C- in English composition on these service plan descriptions and supporting documents. Too many ambiguities and too much room for (mis)interpretation.

No, actually I haven't been offered the $2500 extended plan under the services sign up button but it is on the website here Tesla Service | Tesla Motors . Not sure why it's not under the button. Did you notice this :

The obligations of Tesla under this Agreement are backed by the full faith and credit of Tesla and
are not guaranteed under a service contract reimbursement policy.2

2 Except in Florida and Washington

What does that mean?
Yes, I noted that exception, but have no idea what it means.

Lots of unanswered questions as far as I am concerned. My page says I have 40 days to opt in - I'll wait awhile.

On the text at Tesla Service | Tesla Motors and in GeorgeB's comments on both this forum and the official forum, the service plan includes roadside assistance, but I don't see any mention of that in the official legal documents for service, only for the tire plan.

Is this another case of "We're a nimble company. We've altered the deal, pray we don't alter it further"? Am I missing something?

The warranty includes roadside assistance. The warranty booklet talks about this and that's why there's a roadside assistance card in my Model S's packet o' manuals.

My question exactly!!!!!
john

I figured states like FL and WA might be behind
Yah, that's weird.

In case it helps you with your discussions with Tesla, here's what the Services Sign Up page shows for me:
Tesla4_4AnywherePlan.png

What does the additional Tesla Ranger service cover? Just the yearly services or repairs covered under the warranty as well?

I emailed ace rep Walter Franck about this question today and true to form he replied by the end of the day. Here is his verbatim response (bold is my highlight which specifically addresses this question). Remember that Extended Service Agreement is Tesla-speak for extended warranty.

The 4 year Anywhere plan includes Ranger visits for any reason. The visits may be limited by scheduling and availability, unlimited Ranger visits can be for either warranty issue or non warranty issue.

With the 4 year Anywhere + 4 year extension you will have unlimited ranger visits for 8 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first. It is unrelated to the Extended Service Agreement, but if you do purchase the ESA and the 4+4 year Anywhere plan you will be able to take advantage of the unlimited ranger visits for issues that may come up during the Extended Service Agreement period during year 5-8 (50,001-100,000 miles).

Just got off the phone with Tesla. For those of us in Washington state, here's the scoop:

1) We cannot yet order the extended warranty (years 5-8). Tesla is working with the state legislature to modify some law or other to allow it.
2) We CAN order the extended service agreements (for 4 or 8 years) now. If you are a recent car purchaser, you may only have until April 15th. If you are an
earlier purchaser, you MAY have until April 30th, depending on your purchase date. I suggest contacting Tesla to clarify what your specific window to purchase is.
There is an email forthcoming (was told to expect mine on Monday) regarding the specifics. YMMV.

Hope that helps.

So I bought the 4 year anywhere + 4 year extension that gives me 8 years/100k miles of Ranger service.

So now what is the $2500 Extended Service Agreement under Additional Offerings it is still offering me? Is that ANOTHER 4 years/50k, for a total of 12 years/150k? (Maybe not Ranger service for the additional years??)

So I bought the 4 year anywhere + 4 year extension that gives me 8 years/100k miles of Ranger service.

So now what is the $2500 Extended Service Agreement under Additional Offerings it is still offering me? Is that ANOTHER 4 years/50k, for a total of 12 years/150k? (Maybe not Ranger service for the additional years??)

Scott,

I think that's an extension of the warranty, not the annual service plan.

Sent via Tapatalk.