Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Official: Model S Service Plans

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMHO, another challenge when discussing this subject is ESA terms have evolved over time, so today’s version may not match what applies to an older VIN with an ESA. E.g. the ESA I signed 10-5-2015 allows transfer to another private owner with proper annual maintenance and other documentation, with payment of a $100 fee, but has no cancellation terms like today’s ESA which may allow me get some or all of it back if I preferred.

I verbally asked someone at the Tesla Store about that before I purchased online back in 2015, as other mfgr “ESA”-like contracts allow partial refund but some don’t have the ability to transfer to a new private owner. The Tesla Rep said their “policy” if I purchased a new Tesla to replace this one was to move remaining time on my original ESA over to the new model I’d purchase, otherwise I’d loose it if e.g. I traded it in to another dealer or didn’t transfer it via private sale... I certainly don’t trust that verbal “policy” not being in writing, but still purchased the ESA at the time believing I would likely do a private sale and transfer remaining ESA to the new owner as a benefit one day, or loose what remained of it. Things have evolved since then with Tesla’s used inventory model and providing a longer warranty on used model purchases from Tesla — and the large number of Tesla that appear to move through that model vs. private/dealer sale, so I’m not sure I’d make the same decision today that I did nearly 4 years ago. IDK.​

In any case, just know, today’s ESA terms may not match what applies to an older VIN with an ESA already in place. Owner’s really need to check their My Tesla page for an online version of the ESA terms in effect for their VIN, or hopefully they made their own PDF at time of purchase and have it filed-away elsewhere (as I did, since Tesla didn’t always keep those terms online as they seem to be doing now).

Is the battery fluid change at 50K miles still recommended for the 2015 Model S? Or does the original fluid now stay to 100K?

I had it done last October at 50K on my 2014 but the fluid it was replaced with was supposed to be good for 100K more miles.

The battery fluid is no longer changed... Tesla has changed their service recommendations. :cool:

Attachments

• 2019 Maintenance schedule.JPG
    2019 Maintenance schedule.JPG
    162.6 KB · Views: 848
  • Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
Have a 2019 p100d. What is the difference between service plans and ext warranty? I bought the 4 yr ext, but I didn't know service plans could be purchased too

Things have changed at Tesla... Prepaid Service plans are no longer available for regular maintenance... see below.

Even more confusing, the 2yr/4yr extended warranty is called the Extended Service Agreement, ESA :cool:

2019-maintenance-schedule-jpg.434742

• Informative
Reactions: Tes*la*rosa
The ESP options disappeared from my MyTesla account page, a few weeks ago. I have emailed Tesla about this twice through the page, and needless to say have received no reply.
I mentioned this at my local Service Center, and the service rep said he also did not understand why they would have removed that from the page, unless they want to force people to come into the SC to order the ESP. Which seems contrary to their usual model of trying to have you do things through the web when possible, to reduce the burden on field staff.
My warranty expires today. I thought I had lost my chance to buy the ESP because I have waited until my car's warranty expiration date, but someone told me I have another month to buy the ESP. Given the lack of any written information on it anymore, i do not know if that is true.

I think you mean the Extended Service Agreement, not the Extended Service Plan. The former is what is equivalent to a warranty, without calling it that (for legal reasons). The ESP is now defunct as Tesla said the annual services are no longer required.

Yes, you have one month/1000 miles after warranty expiation to buy the ESA.

Yes, you are right, I meant the ESA. Sorry if I confused anyone. Thanks!

So I have a couple weeks left on my 180 day window to purchase on my 2018 100D.
Worth it?
Worth it to do now, 3 1/2 years in advance, to save $500?
With rapidly evolving technology, I think odds better I hold car 6 years, but not 8 years, so was thinking of 2 year ESA for $2100 but don't know opinions of risk reward.
How much maintenance cost have others experienced on their MS after warranty expiration?

I think you mean the Extended Service Agreement, not the Extended Service Plan. The former is what is equivalent to a warranty, without calling it that (for legal reasons). The ESP is now defunct as Tesla said the annual services are no longer required.

Yes, you have one month/1000 miles after warranty expiation to buy the ESA.

This was good to know. I had a major failure three weeks after my original new-car warranty expired, namely the dreaded memory failure in my car's MCU. So they will replace the computer. the SC did not quote a price but I have seen figures north of $2000 for this. I asked whether, if I bought an ESA, it would apply to this replacement (I was worried they might exclude it). Service writer said they would cover the MCU if I bought the ESA, so I did. Nothing like a crisis to focus your mind before the final absolute last moment when I could do something!

Things have changed at Tesla... Prepaid Service plans are no longer available for regular maintenance... see below.

Even more confusing, the 2yr/4yr extended warranty is called the Extended Service Agreement, ESA :cool:

2019-maintenance-schedule-jpg.434742

Thanks for the info. I've had S for over 3 years, 48k miles and am now going to do pretty much all items here except brake fluid replacement plus some warranty things. The DRL Led, vibrating panoramic, etc.

Reactions: FlatSix911