TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Official Model Y Wheel Thread?

Discussion in 'Model Y: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by ShearModXY, Nov 4, 2019.

1. ShearModXY

ShearModXY Member

So, is there another thread on Model Y wheels?

Obviously, from what we see on the ordering site, the standard Aero Wheels in 18 and the Model 3's 19 Sport Wheels are available now... but from all the spy shots of the Model Y, does anyone have any of the pictures and/or screenshots of the different types wheels we have been seeing on the test mules of late?

Are there other links to stories which have mentioned a possible expansion of the available wheels for the US Market that I have missed?

I wondering if we think or know if the Y will have more or additional wheel options available by the time they start making them in summer 2020 or if they might add additional wheel options deeper into production?

It would be nice if those who are more tech-savvy than I could put together a collage of all the different wheels we've seen on the Model Y Mules over the last months.

• Helpful x 1
  2. ShearModXY

ShearModXY Member

Ok, as I said, there are probably more tech-savvy folks who could have done this better, but I uploaded a PDF of types of Model Y Wheels we've seen so far. I may not have gotten all of them so don't get all mad and Tesla-Righteous but with this document and its pictures, along with any articles detailing wheels and possible future wheel options for the US Market, I think this is a good start.
    Enjoy!

Attached Files:

3. ShearModXY

ShearModXY Member

upload_2019-11-4_13-32-0.png

And then there's this just from today on Electrek and Teslarati... with the Wind Turbine Wheels...

Attached Files:

• Love x 1
  4. ntiles

ntiles New Member

I ordered a Model Y with the standard 18" wheels under the assumption that I would upgrade myself to 20" /black finish (via third party tuner). Question is...do you all think 22" (as can be found with model x) will look out of place/too big for a model Y? also, does anyone know of any market/site, etc for brand new/un-used standard wheels (tires and/or rims) from people who have purchased 3, S, X and have done the same?

5. Dare

Dare Chairs are underappreciated

The Y is a pretty big vehicle, I think it would look good with 22’s.

I’m hoping there are some new wheel offerings soon.

6. PNWLeccy

PNWLeccy Member

So.... looks like all the wheel options have changed now so not sure what will happen to those who have reservations with 18" aeros or 19" sport.

New options for LR AWD (No more LR RWD):19" Gemini and 20" induction
    LR Performance: 21" ubertine

• Like x 2
  7. fallen888

fallen888 Participant

My 19 Sport got changed to the Gemini. But I'm not a big fan, so I switched to 20 Induction.. they look pretty badass.

• Like x 1
  8. RIP->OPEC

RIP->OPEC Member

#8 RIP->OPEC, Jan 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    F4A2DEE4-B3C9-4310-B692-B8FB25858EFB.jpeg
    I believe the Y looks best in black, darkened trim (now std), tint, lowered, on 22” bright wheels!
    Here’s my PS remake, subtle, clean, classic... it’s the way I’m building mine once I take delivery of my Performance Y on order.

PS: I am not a fan of the all black wheel... too Batmobilie for me. I ‘d prefer a black wheel with a polished lip, or all polished, or silver as seen over an all black wheel. Have you ever curbed an all black wheel? Not very attractive IMO.

• Like x 1
  9. PNWLeccy

PNWLeccy Member

The induction wheel is the only one i really like but I hope the 20" tires are all seasons and not some performance/summer tire. Otherwise, I'd have to also swap those out.

10. Beryl

Beryl Supporting Member

I prefer dark wheels though I agree w/ @RIP->OPEC regarding the unpleasant curb-rash. I’ll hang on to the Gemini wheels since I prefer the additional 35 mile range. I may swap them out in a couple of years when I wrap it a new color.

11. Kobicue

Kobicue Member

Did you change it yourself like me and dealing with the price increase? Apparently if you waited those 19" sports wheel will get changed into induction by tesla themselves while keeping the same price as when you locked in your order. My model Y is now $1490 more cause i didnt wait.

• Love x 1
  12. TT97

TT97 Active Member

I'm curious if they will still have the same wheel specs as the 3. I would still prefer 18" wheels on the Y as I prefer more sidewall on "SUVs". Assuming same wheel specs and brakes from the 3, then can find plenty of 18" options for the car.

13. teslasguy

teslasguy MSP P#1117

Kobicue, try clicking edit on your order but then making no changes and then click save. I think that might fix your price hike.

14. fallen888

fallen888 Participant

Sport wheels got switched automatically to Gemini, but I manually changed them to Induction. My total went up $1,740. o_O

• Love x 1
  15. Kobicue

Kobicue Member

Apparently if we waited 24 hours those sports wheels were changed to 20" induction wheels without a price markup. FML

16. Kobicue

Kobicue Member

Nah the dmg is already done for me. Went up by $1490

17. Marvin

Marvin Member

Just seen those Gemini wheels for the first time. At least on the picture on the configuration page they look absolutely hideous. Would be interesting to see what is under these wheel covers? The Aeros might not be the most beautiful but I still prefer them over the Geminis. And why no more 18"? :( Just makes the tires more expensive and the ride worse. I was so looking forward to ordering a Y, now I am sitting on the fence again :(

18. dsb411

dsb411 Member

I had the 19' originally on my Y pre-order. After the news broke I looked at my pre-order page and saw the price dropped $1500 which I expected and was glad to see. Then I went back a short time later to show a friend and saw it was switched to the 20" and I didnt want those because of the range difference so i switched it back to the 19' Gemini. Then I got a change order confirmation email and saw the original price drop was cut to $600 instead of the $1500. I'm not happy to say the least...

19. Aarons12

Aarons12 Enjoying my Pearl White LR AWD with inductions

mine were changed from the 19's to the 20's and i don't want them either. ugh

20. fallen888

fallen888 Participant

Crap.. you think there's a chance to get some money back with a call to Tesla sales? Or cancel and reorder?