Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Official Raptor Engine testing is beginning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last time I heard it was: SpaceX is testing Raptor engine components at NASA's Stennis Space Center. (2014) "According to SpaceX they are still in the very early stages of the Raptor engine development program and this initial test phase will last 12 to 24 months with larger components to be tested afterwards presumably at their rocket engine development facility in McGregor, Texas."

This time SpaceX's timetables seems to be holding :)

For those (who like me until a few minutes ago) do not know what a Raptor engine is:
Raptor (rocket engine) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Oops. I should have included that detail as part of the announcement. Thanks for posting.

Here is an overview of the type of engine they intend to have:
Staged combustion cycle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So the one big weakness in the Merlin 1D FT engine, as mentioned by Elon, is that it is an inefficient open cycle gas generator cycle engine. It has lots of advantages and it makes a lot of sense why SpaceX went with that type of engine it is off the bat. The Merlin is a simple straightforward engine. It has the prestige of being the highest power for its size of any other orbital launch engine. But like the Model S, Elon wants his rocket engines to be better in every way than every other rocket engine made. The Raptor should achieve that. The advantage of the system they intend to use Is that it is intended to be a reusable engine while being more powerful. It will run at a lower pressure and burn cooler than the efficient throw away staged combustion engines like the Russian RD-180.

The Raptor is the engine that SpaceX wants for the future.

You will probably be hearing about BO's BE-4 Methane/LOX engine in comparison to the Raptor Methane/LOX. The BE-4 will be using a Merlin style open cycle engine with the Methane/LOX combination. So not as difficult to make or as efficient as the Raptor will be. FYI.

You will probably be hearing about BO's BE-4 Methane/LOX engine in comparison to the Raptor Methane/LOX. The BE-4 will be using a Merlin style open cycle engine with the Methane/LOX combination. So not as difficult to make or as efficient as the Raptor will be. FYI.
So, if i read correctly the Raptor will have a lower thrust force, but it will be more efficent means less methane/oxigen needed for the same thrust?
This is of course a HUGE advantage since the fuel make up most of the weight..

Oops. I should have included that detail as part of the announcement. Thanks for posting.

...You will probably be hearing about BO's BE-4 Methane/LOX engine in comparison to the Raptor Methane/LOX. The BE-4 will be using a Merlin style open cycle engine with the Methane/LOX combination. So not as difficult to make or as efficient as the Raptor will be. FYI.

BE-3 is a open cycle engine (tap off e.g. open) and BE-4 will be a single-shaft oxygen-rich staged combustion one (all of the oxidizer and a portion of the fuel are fed through the preburner e.g. closed).

Atlas V's rd-180 uses oxygen-rich staged combustion.
Shuttle's rs-25 uses fuel-rich staged combustion.

Raptor uses a full-flow cycle where both of the propellants go through the preburners. Only two Full-flow staged combustion engines were build in the history of rocketry, and both never flown...

Advanced/hard to do + efficient
open < fuel-rich < oxygen-rich < full-flow

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Grendal
Elon commented that he was pleased that the engine did not "blow up." It didn't and Elon seemed pretty pleased that it would work as well as SpaceX planned.

I'm impressed that they are choosing to go with a whole lot of these engines.
42 engines.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
A Raptor test burn is scheduled for this week at McGregor. It's likely (due to nearby residents hearing a really loud and long burn) that it already happened. We'll see if we hear from Elon.

It looks like the twitter video has been removed. Too bad. It was awesome. Elon's twitter pictures are still there.

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo