Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Official Signature Wheel Gallery | Model S Plaid & Performance.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can the SV104 triple black tinted be refinished if one gets damaged, say by FSD being insane and loving curbs?

It’s difficult to refinishing the whole wheel back to the original finishing. However, for curb rash, you can ask local body shop to mix some paint for you. You just need a drop of black paint, and add around 4oz clear + hardener. Try in small area and adjust the black/clear ratio accordingly.

1. Sand down the damaged area.
2. Apply touch up ( make sure your coating is more/taller than original surface so you have room for sanding and polishing.) and wait until it’s fully dried.
3. Wet sand with 2000 grits / 3000 grits so the surface will be even with other areas.
4. Polish it with a polishing compound to bring back the glossy finish.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: jebinc and WilliamG
It’s difficult to refinishing the whole wheel back to the original finishing. However, for curb rash, you can ask local body shop to mix some paint for you. You just need a drop of black paint, and add around 4oz clear + hardener. Try in small area and adjust the black/clear ratio accordingly.

1. Sand down the damaged area.
2. Apply touch up ( make sure your coating is more/taller than original surface so you have room for sanding and polishing.) and wait until it’s fully dried.
3. Wet sand with 2000 grits / 3000 grits so the surface will be even with other areas.
4. Polish it with a polishing compound to bring back the glossy finish.
o_O

$5000+ for a set of wheels and no touch up paint/finish/whatever is available from Signature…. Hard to fathom that a “chemistry lab” and body shop experimentation is required for a simple touch up.

Rash happens; rock chips happen, etc. Consider more customer friendly finishes for your quality wheels, and/or sell touch up paint 🎨 as most others do…

Last edited:
Reactions: dn325ci
o_O

$5000+ for a set of wheels and no touch up paint/finish/whatever is available from Signature…. Hard to fathom that a “chemistry lab” and body shop experimentation is required for a simple touch up.

Rash happens; rock chips happen, etc. Consider more customer friendly finishes for your quality wheels, and/or sell touch up paint 🎨 as most others do…
These are custom finishes….

Reactions: jebinc
o_O

Our solid finish consists of one-color powder, providing a uniform look from every angle, such as Matte/Gloss Black, Gunmetal, etc.

We do have soild finish touch up avaliable.

With the translucent finishing, it consists of multiple layers of powder coats, which give the wheel a unique color shift appearance under different lighting and angles.

Below is a close-up view of the brushed black triple-tinted finish. The face & spokes have different color shades with a brushed texture on the side of the spoke.

Since the colors vary from location to location, it will be pretty much impossible to create a paint that can apply to the entire wheel.

The method I mention is what I found to be cloest to the face color where curb rash will appear. It will never be perfect as new, but at least you won't notice it from 3 step away.
436481332_3442474766044707_4646275143529221694_n.jpg

Our solid finish consists of one-color powder, providing a uniform look from every angle, such as Matte/Gloss Black, Gunmetal, etc.

With the translucent finishing, it consists of multiple layers of powder coats, which give the wheel a unique color shift appearance under different lighting and angles.

Below is a close-up view of the brushed black triple-tinted finish. The face & spokes have different color shades with a brushed texture on the side of the spoke.

Since the colors vary from location to location, it will be pretty much impossible to create a paint that can apply to the entire wheel.

The method I mention is what I found to be cloest to the face color where curb rash will appear. It will never be perfect as new, but at least you won't notice it from 3 step away.
View attachment 1039101

Thanks for the info. Do you have any examples of a third-party refinished triple black tinted wheel? I'm wondering what a wheel can look like after it's been e.g. curbed and subsequently repaired. You mention "touch up" in your post a few back, but what are you meant to touch up with?

• Helpful

View attachment 1039101
Thanks for the two detailed replies. I am a fan of your wheels; love them in fact. I was a bit surprised when I reached out to Jamie a couple of months back, re some touch for a small rock chip I developed, and learned that the process to “touch it up” was quite a hassle and costly process.

With “curbing,” I would expect a little more effort, as metal is involved.

Thanks for the info. Do you have any examples of a third-party refinished triple black tinted wheel? I'm wondering what a wheel can look like after it's been e.g. curbed and subsequently repaired. You mention "touch up" in your post a few back, but what are you meant to touch up with?

I use the touch up method in small area like below, but this can be apply in bigger area also, just need more time and patience .

Here's what it looks like before sanding and polishing. (If would look even closer to original with a bit less of black)
435516324_2499473023571743_733071750474947357_n.jpg

You can barely tell once the tire is on, unless you look up close. (Three o'clock position)
436610003_748840677236539_6314380388766957145_n.jpg

Reactions: WilliamG and jebinc

View attachment 1039101
P.S. So why not sell black triple tint touch up mixed in the proportions you mention above - a drop of black in with 4 oz of clear, etc.?

I use the touch up method in small area like below, but this can be apply in bigger area also, just need more time and patience .

Here's what it looks like before sanding and polishing. (If would look even closer to original with a bit less of black)
View attachment 1039136

You can barely tell once the tire is on, unless you look up close. (Three o'clock position)
View attachment 1039137
Thanks for the example. I wonder how that would look on a really bad curb, hah!