Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Official Signature Wheel Gallery | Model S Plaid & Performance.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What size is this set up?
IMG_0739 (2).jpg

Right now, I can not recommend the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4s. They have a constant hum/howl sound from 40 - 75mph. It is loud and very annoying.

After my post yesterday where I mentioned I was running All seasons, another Plaid owner PM'd me and asked me if I was hearing a hum/howl at the same speeds I was. I only had about 10 miles on them yesterday, but today I put 135 miles on them and that howl is definitely a deal breaker. I'm hoping break in after about 500 miles fixes this, but my hopes are not high.

The other user that reached out has had them longer and taken it to both the SC and his tire shop. This is what they told him:

"the combination of specific width of wheels and tires on these tires is creating a resonance due to wind channeling in the pits thats creating the noise. There's little we can do about it except going narrower or stretching out the tire more"

I have an appointment with the SC in a week for alignment (my steering is slightly off center, from day one) and height adjustment/settings for 20" rims running the tire sidewall that I am. I'll post back if that solves anything.

Besides the howl, the tires very good and really grippy. I did a few 0-60 launches today and consistently got 2.32 - 2.35 on uneven road with barely any slip (285 fronts and 305 on rear). They are also fairly quiet above 80+ and on good condition roads, otherwise you will hear everything.
Thanks so much for sharing this. I ordered these tires on Saturday and was able to get them switched to Pirelli P Zero (PZ4). That howl would’ve bothered me. I know you really need an All Season tire in Chicago—we’re right on the edge of needing them in Charlotte.

Thanks so much for sharing this. I ordered these tires on Saturday and was able to get them switched to Pirelli P Zero (PZ4). That howl would’ve bothered me. I know you really need an All Season tire in Chicago—we’re right on the edge of needing them in Charlotte.
For sure! That’s what’s so great about these forums.

Taking Jamie’s advice, the shop is trying to do the 60 day satisfaction guarantee for me to get them swapped for the PS4s. I’ll report back.

I plan to run Pirelli Sorzetto 3 snow tires during cold months. I had those tires on my previous Raven and they were quieter than the Continential All Seasons I was running at the time.

I know one solution for the Michelin all seasons is to run thinner widths but I believe this beast needs all the rubber you can give it to put the power to the ground. Plus, I personally wouldn’t want to run anything thinner than the stock tires.

Reactions: rpan25
Are you mounting the stock 19" tires on those? if so can you post some pics once you do? Thats what I am thinking of doing would like to see what they look like on the car.

Also have you weighed them?

No. I ordered the Plaid with 21” wheels and they come with summer tires. So the 19” SV104s will be for long trips and winter. I ordered these tires from Signature Wheels as a package along with the wheels: Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4. Front: 255x45ZR19 and Rears: 285x40ZR19.

The front wheels, 19x9.5 weigh around 23.58lbs (Not sure how accurate my scale was). Rears are the 19x10.5. Didn’t weigh those. I will post pics when I finally get the car which right now, is no telling when (EDD mid November).

Nice! 😄

Just curious- are you not experiencing the hum/howl being discussed here that I and @OCS300 have talked about just a little higher up on this thread, with those Michelin all seasons?
To confirm, these are indeed the Michelin Pilot All Sports and no, so far haven’t experienced any hum/howl from them. Of course I’ve only taken her up to the 110 mph level.