Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Official Tesla App for Apple Watch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
responds to your iPhone even after you’ve unregistered and unpaired it
Thanks for the suggestion. I have found that the Watch for Tesla app on my phone doesn't do anything unless it is running in the background, and I don't keep it running. I don't really ever use it.

goal is to completely disable/unregister your iPhone as a key fob
I think maybe you are misunderstanding what I'm talking about. I don't want to unregister my iPhone as a key on the Tesla. There are times when I don't wear my Apple Watch and would like to be able to flip a switch on the iPhone and use it as the key. In the official Tesla app on my iPhone, under "Security and Driver's" there is an option to disable the Phone Key with a flip of a switch. This is designed to "Automatically unlock and start when mobile device is near". However, when unchecked, it does not disable the "unlock" part. In other words, it does not do what it's stated purpose is.
Get the My Tesla remote by Michael Cohen. I’ve been using it for 4 months now and it works great on ultra2. I go 80% of time without my cell and depend on the watch only.
The Watch for Tesla app works great. I have no real complaints about it. I was just pointing out the shortcomings of using it in place of the phone off and on. So, is your cellphone no longer paired as a phone key?

…There are times when I don't wear my Apple Watch and would like to be able to flip a switch on the iPhone and use it as the key. In the official Tesla app on my iPhone, under "Security and Driver's" there is an option to disable the Phone Key with a flip of a switch. This is designed to "Automatically unlock and start when mobile device is near". However, when unchecked, it does not disable the "unlock" part. In other words, it does not do what it's stated purpose is.
Understood. Yes, the native Tesla phone app can be a bit quirky.

Understood. Yes, the native Tesla phone app can be a bit quirky.
Since my last post, I've been researching this. Someone suggested that the Tesla app doesn't update automatically like it should. So, I checked in my iPhone settings to make sure I had auto updates enabled. Then, I went to the app store to see if there was an update available for the Tesla App. It only gave me the option of "Open". For some reason I clicked on the app to read about it, and it then gave me an "Update" option.

I updated the Tesla App and now the Phone Key disable function appears to be working properly. Fingers crossed. I'm going to follow it closely for the next few days.

I know, I should have checked the app for updates earlier, but I never have a problem with the iPhone updating so I just didn't consider it.