Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Official Tesla App for Apple Watch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this the Watch App for Tesla by developer Kim Hansen that's $19.99 in the app store? Are there any subscription fees or is it just the one time $19.99?

That’s not the one i downloaded. It was “watchla for tesla” by Villegas Ventures LLC. I believe it was $7 us. I didn’t notice the slight difference in the name… first lines under change history said bluetooth support & use Apple Watch as bluetooth key.

Reactions: rpiotro
Completely agree. Almost zero chance Tesla will ever release an official app for Apple Watch and other smart watches. I seem to recall reading about someone asking Elon this very same question/topic on Twitter and he essentially said NO. Apparently, Elon/Tesla views adding the app on a Watch platform would be highly redundant and unnecessary. We already have the mobile phone app and a physical keycard, along with a bunch of other 3rd party solutions. No need to waste time & resources on adding an official watch app. Honestly, I’d have to agree with Elon on this one… which does not happen very often.

After all, Elon and his software team have much better & more useful things to work on… like finally getting FSD to the promised stage and ready for wide release. We know they’re just a “few weeks away” from completion…. ;) 🤣
Its really not only had my car a month and my phone stop working as a key had to redo it….good thing i had my card on me

Its really not only had my car a month and my phone stop working as a key had to redo it….good thing i had my card on me
I think you just unknowingly proved Elon’s/Tesla’s point. You already had your back-up (the keycard) on you in case something were to happen to your phone. Tesla recommends that all drivers always carry their physical keycard with them as a back-up. This is the redundancy that Tesla encourages & supports. So, in the situation that you described above, there was really no need to have another back-up of a back-up (i.e. a watch app).

Don’t get me wrong, I would love for Tesla to release an official watch app. I’m just playing devil’s advocate and explaining why it will likely never happen…

Reactions: rpiotro
Completely agree. Almost zero chance Tesla will ever release an official app for Apple Watch and other smart watches. I seem to recall reading about someone asking Elon this very same question/topic on Twitter and he essentially said NO. Apparently, Elon/Tesla views adding the app on a Watch platform would be highly redundant and unnecessary. We already have the mobile phone app and a physical keycard, along with a bunch of other 3rd party solutions. No need to waste time & resources on adding an official watch app. Honestly, I’d have to agree with Elon on this one… which does not happen very often.

After all, Elon and his software team have much better & more useful things to work on… like finally getting FSD to the promised stage and ready for wide release. We know they’re just a “few weeks away” from completion…. ;) 🤣
I agree with you but it's interesting how hypocritical Elon can be and this is a prime example. It makes sense to not work on smart watch apps from a resource point of view, but for some reason it's ok to have developers wasting time making fart noises, light shows, games, etc.? I give the guy credit where it's due, but he's his own worst enemy when it comes to the long-term growth of the company, because a lot of people see this blatant hypocrisy and it completely turns them off to the brand.

I agree with you but it's interesting how hypocritical Elon can be and this is a prime example. It makes sense to not work on smart watch apps from a resource point of view, but for some reason it's ok to have developers wasting time making fart noises, light shows, games, etc.? I give the guy credit where it's due, but he's his own worst enemy when it comes to the long-term growth of the company, because a lot of people see this blatant hypocrisy and it co mpletely turns them off to the brand.

Off topic, but I’ll say this…

I never really paid any (and I mean any) attention to Elon. Know literally nothing about the man.
However, after some of his recent actions, all I can say is… he is a total nutcase.
I love Tesla vehicles, but every time I hear that dude talk, I just want to sell my M3P and cancel the MYP that I currently have on order for the wife. I agree with you that Tesla would be a much better (& more attractive) company without Elon.

OK. Now, back on topic! 🙃 😂

I never really paid any (and I mean any) attention to Elon. Know literally nothing about the man.
However, after some of his recent actions, all I can say is… he is a total nutcase.
I love Tesla vehicles, but every time I hear that dude talk, I just want to sell my M3P and cancel the MYP that I currently have on order for the wife. I agree with you that Tesla would be a much better (& more attractive) company without Elon.

You are not alone. 🤔

You'll be waiting a long time. Highly doubtful Elon sees an Apple Watch app as a worthwhile investment for development when others are already doing it, and doing it successfully according to the people here using them.
Seems odd though, since Tesla seems happy to charge $10/month for premium connectivity; have you seen the prices on some of those apps? That's easy pickings for Tesla. If you had to choose between paying Tesla for an Watch app or some 3rd-party, which would you choose?
I agree with you but it's interesting how hypocritical Elon can be and this is a prime example. It makes sense to not work on smart watch apps from a resource point of view, but for some reason it's ok to have developers wasting time making fart noises, light shows, games, etc.? I give the guy credit where it's due, but he's his own worst enemy when it comes to the long-term growth of the company, because a lot of people see this blatant hypocrisy and it completely turns them off to the brand.
Just to point out, no one knows Elon's opinion on a Watch app, this is all speculation, so how can it be hypocritical?

Isn't it great we can use BT from the Watch as a backup way to open and drive the car? My iPhone has never failed, but it's nice to have a backup method if you don't carry a card key. I even have a Tesla RFID chip in my Watch strap as another hardware backup method.

Beware of what you wish for.

Beware of what you wish for.
Yeah, I understand what you’re saying. Sometimes a change does not work out the way one hopes/expects.

However, in this case, even if Tesla were to get “worse” with Elon gone, it would not really bother me. Personally, I have no strong loyalty to Tesla. Sure, I hope they continue to succeed and I do support them (have a M3P now and a new MYP arriving at the end of this month for the wife). But, if Tesla does not get “better” without Elon, that’s perfectly OK with me. Lots of other good EV manufacturers/options out there, should it ever come to that…

If you had to choose between paying Tesla for an Watch app or some 3rd-party, which would you choose?

Just to point out, no one knows Elon's opinion on a Watch app, this is all speculation, so how can it be hypocritical?
Given the number of bugs in my M3's OS that seem to be taking longer and longer to fix, I wouldn't automatically choose a Tesla Apple Watch app anymore than I would choose to use the native iPhone calendar app over Pocket Informant.

SOME apps are subscription based. Not all. I am NOT a fan of sub based apps so I would pass. And as far as why Tesla doesn't make one, it just stands to reason. Why would they add fart noises and light shows and NOT make an Apple Watch app? The only logical reason is that he doesn't see the need to.

If you want a better example of hypocrisy, look at how long it took them to roll out the dashcam functionality that STILL pretty much sucks compared to even a rudimentary 3rd party dashcam OS design. But they've been cranking out noises and games and light shows like there's no tomorrow.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: KenC
I use the TESSIE app and have the app on my watch. I can either tap the fan on the screen of my watch or say, "hey Siri, get the car ready" as I walk to it. Control everything without having to get out my phone!

Yeah, and you can build pretty complex automations (aka "shortcuts") too, that are accessible via Siri. String together multiple events, read data from other sources for logic, etc., pretty neat stuff.

So, if you buy the $19.99 Watch App for Tesla, can you install it on two different watches or do you have to pay another $19.99?

Also, it's unclear in some of the videos I watched. Do you only place the card behind the cup holder when you're setting up the app, or does it have to stay there? In other words, once the watch is set up to unlock and operate the car, can you put the card back in your pocket or leave it at home?

Thanks.

So, if you buy the $19.99 Watch App for Tesla, can you install it on two different watches or do you have to pay another $19.99?

Also, it's unclear in some of the videos I watched. Do you only place the card behind the cup holder when you're setting up the app, or does it have to stay there? In other words, once the watch is set up to unlock and operate the car, can you put the card back in your pocket or leave it at home?

Thanks.
You can install the app on multiple watches, as long as all your watches are setup under the same AppleID. So, in other words, the app is tied to one specific AppleID.

You only need to use the physical keycard once during the initial setup/pairing. Once your watch is paired or setup as a stand-alone key fob, you no longer need to bring/use your physical keycard.

Note: in one of Tesla’s recent software updates, they changed their system/protocol so that you no longer need to use your physical keycard, in order to pair/activate another key. However, I am not sure if the Watch for Tesla app still requires you to use your original keycard during the process of enabling/activating your watch as a stand-alone key card.

Good luck!

• Love
Reactions: Alonzo
You only need to use the physical keycard once during the initial setup/pairing. Once your watch is paired or setup as a stand-alone key fob, you no longer need to bring/use your physical keycard.

Note: in one of Tesla’s recent software updates, they changed their system/protocol so that you no longer need to use your physical keycard, in order to pair/activate another key. However, I am not sure if the Watch for Tesla app still requires you to use your original keycard during the process of enabling/activating your watch as a stand-alone key card.
Thanks.

Another question please. If you use this app and set your watch as a key, does the car unlock upon approach as soon as bluetooth connects or do you have to physically tap a button on the watch to make it unlock and start up?

Thanks.

Another question please. If you use this app and set your watch as a key, does the car unlock upon approach as soon as bluetooth connects or do you have to physically tap a button on the watch to make it unlock and start up?

Yes, once your watch is within Bluetooth range, the vehicle recognizes your watch (as a key) and automatically unlocks the door(s) and starts-up. No need to open the Watch for Tesla app, or even wake up your watch. Works flawlessly for me. Believe it or not, I have found my watch (with this 3rd party app) to be more reliable at opening and starting the vehicle than Tesla’s official phone app.

Reactions: Alonzo