Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Official Tesla App for Apple Watch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No but, I have the "Watch for Tesla" app. Works pretty well. You can also set it up to use commands such as "Hey Siri, open trunk" or "turn on climate".

It can also be set up as a key. Sorta. I think it still needs a bluetooth connection to your phone so not much advantage to it. I think if the watch had cellular it might work all by itself. I dunno.

As an FYI, the “Watch for Tesla” app now allows your watch to function as a stand-alone key fob. A cellular connection/service is no longer required for your watch to unlock/start/control your vehicle. You can literally leave your phone at home, be in the middle of the desert with no cellular coverage/service, and your watch will still control/operate the vehicle.

I have personally tested this functionality (left my phone at home and driven my vehicle on several errands/trips… and my Apple Watch Ultra does not have cellular service), and can confirm it works as advertised/intended.

Last edited:
As an FYI, the “Watch for Tesla” app now allows your watch to function as a stand-alone key fob. A cellular connection/service is no longer required for your watch to unlock/start/control your vehicle. You can literally leave your phone at home, be in the middle of the desert with no cellular coverage/service, and your watch will still control/operate the vehicle.

I have personally tested this functionality (left my phone at home and driven my vehicle on several errands/trips… and my Apple Watch Ultra does not have cellular service), and can confirm it works as advertised/intended.
This is awesome! I use Watch app with my AW Ultra, but always have to have cellular or it doesn’t work. How do I enable it to work via Bluetooth?

This is awesome! I use Watch app with my AW Ultra, but always have to have cellular or it doesn’t work. How do I enable it to work via Bluetooth?
Thankfully, the process is very easy.

First: Update the Watch for Tesla app to the latest firmware (v. 1.3.0) on your watch

Second: Open the Watch for Tesla app on your watch. On the main screen, scroll down until you see “Settings”. Go into Settings and find “Enable Bluetooth“. Click on that slider to enable & start the process. During this process, you will need to use your original physical Tesla key card to authenticate/confirm that you are indeed the owner of the vehicle and authorize your watch as a secondary key fob.

Third: Start enjoying the freedom of needing only your watch to control/operate your vehicle!!!

Is this the Watch App for Tesla by developer Kim Hansen that's $19.99 in the app store? Are there any subscription fees or is it just the one time $19.99?
Yes, that is the same app being discussed here. It’s just a 1-time charge/fee. Was much less expensive when I purchased it 3 years ago.

There are definitely other good options/apps out there with similar functionality (like Stats). Not sure how much they cost, though…

Yes, that is the same app being discussed here. It’s just a 1-time charge/fee. Was much less expensive when I purchased it 3 years ago.

There are definitely other good options/apps out there with similar functionality (like Stats). Not sure how much they cost, though…
Thanks. I had seen a couple but they had subscription fees, which is the new way to bleed you to a slow death since EVERYTHING is now subscription based.

No but, I have the "Watch for Tesla" app. Works pretty well. You can also set it up to use commands such as "Hey Siri, open trunk" or "turn on climate".

It can also be set up as a key. Sorta. I think it still needs a bluetooth connection to your phone so not much advantage to it. I think if the watch had cellular it might work all by itself. I dunno.
Thankfully, the process is very easy.

First: Update the Watch for Tesla app to the latest firmware (v. 1.3.0) on your watch

Second: Open the Watch for Tesla app on your watch. On the main screen, scroll down until you see “Settings”. Go into Settings and find “Enable Bluetooth“. Click on that slider to enable & start the process. During this process, you will need to use your original physical Tesla key card to authenticate/confirm that you are indeed the owner of the vehicle and authorize your watch as a secondary key fob.

Third: Start enjoying the freedom of needing only your watch to control/operate your vehicle!!!
Watch for Tesla app works well, +1 like

Personally this is what I did:
  • Disabled background updates so that it doesn't wake up the car and drain the battery
  • Enabled bluetooth direct vehicle control on phone and watch
  • Removed widget from phone lock screen, prefer Tesla widget instead

Reactions: GreenHokie
You'll be waiting a long time. Highly doubtful Elon sees an Apple Watch app as a worthwhile investment for development when others are already doing it, and doing it successfully according to the people here using them.
Completely agree. Almost zero chance Tesla will ever release an official app for Apple Watch and other smart watches. I seem to recall reading about someone asking Elon this very same question/topic on Twitter and he essentially said NO. Apparently, Elon/Tesla views adding the app on a Watch platform would be highly redundant and unnecessary. We already have the mobile phone app and a physical keycard, along with a bunch of other 3rd party solutions. No need to waste time & resources on adding an official watch app. Honestly, I’d have to agree with Elon on this one… which does not happen very often.

After all, Elon and his software team have much better & more useful things to work on… like finally getting FSD to the promised stage and ready for wide release. We know they’re just a “few weeks away” from completion…. ;) 🤣

• Helpful
Reactions: chobra