Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Official Tesla CCS1 adaptor now available in Canada.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a Tesla technician out today to retrofit my early 2020 Model 3. It was the first one that he had done.

Unfortunately, it didn't work. He tried for a couple of hours. He said he would work with others to try and get it sorted out.
My guess is that he had the wrong kit. There are two different kits, one for older, i.e. Gen 3 ECU, vehicles, and one for newer, Gen4 ECU, vehicles.

The estimate was $475 + $126 labour (0.6 labour hours). The $475 appears to be for the hardware itself.
I don't think there should be any labor charge, the retrofit price includes everything. (ECU, CCS Adapter, and installation)

I edited my post and added the estimate.
I believe you that that is what they put on the estimate, I'm just saying that it is wrong labor is always included in the retrofit prices. (But some service centers screw that up.)

Also, like it really takes them 36 minutes, and $126, to check to see if your vehicle is already CCS enabled? (That takes what three taps on the screen?) But that the actual retrofit only takes ~15 minutes and the cost for that is $0.

Does anyone know what's in the official kit from Tesla? Are they also using the "Bundle of Wires?"
There are two different kits, the only difference is which ECU is included. For the older vehicles the kit is just a new ECU, part number 1537264-09-B, and the CCS adapter. No, they are not using a "bundle of wires" or harness adapter. (They made a custom ECU that works for vehicles with Gen3 charge port and wiring.)

So their kit shouldn't have any problems when charging in low temperatures like the "bundle of wires" hack does.

• Informative
Reactions: MattChristian