Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Official Tesla CCS1 adaptor now available in Canada.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just an FYI, even though I did give my Tesla account info to Harumio for both my cars (changed my passwords temporarily) and I do have an adapter for each car, (early adopter) I am still able to purchase units from the Canadian site, maximum 1 for each car. Not that I will however thought this could be useful info.

Just an FYI, even though I did give my Tesla account info to Harumio for both my cars (changed my passwords temporarily) and I do have an adapter for each car, (early adopter) I am still able to purchase units from the Canadian site, maximum 1 for each car. Not that I will however thought this could be useful info.

Yes, that sounds right. Purchases made via Harumio from Tesla-Korea (For example, I purchased two.) do not appear to influence Tesla-North America purchases (I could still order one, if I choose to.). Meanwhile, I wonder what happens if an owner's one CCS1 adapter is stolen/lost? Can they get another for Tesla-North America? Maybe with a police report? Seriously, I assume regulatory control will eventually ease up over time, once everyone who wants one has the opportunity to buy one. But I applaud Tesla for trying to limit "scalping" (e.g., on eBay).

You'll be able to report to us how the two compare, correct? :)
You bet. I suspect I’ll like the Tesla one slightly better if for no other reason than the peace of mind that locking pin adds, and the fact that it’s made by Tesla.

On the other hand, the A2Z one works well, and I was happy to support a small Canadian business. And when I spoke with the owner on the phone, he told me that sometime in the future they will be sending to all existing owners of their adapter some sort of add-on gadget to perform the locking function. I also quite like the little drawstring storage pouch that comes with the A2Z adapter. I doubt such a thing comes with the Tesla one, and there is certainly no extra room for it in the mobile connector bag.

But I’m not sure what I’ll do with two CCS1 adapters. Maybe I’ll sell one of them at a loss. (What’s the best venue for selling Tesla things?)

Reactions: Vawlkus
...(What’s the best venue for selling Tesla things?)
  • Here, on the TMC Forum site. Potential TMC buyers are, naturally, savvy and knowledgeable, and tend not to tolerate huge mark-ups (as can occur on EB).

• Craig's List. Originally intended for local buying/selling (with no shipping needed), CL has improved to more easily allow out-of-area customers (from other provinces, states, countries) to find items. Still free. Just follow some basic safety rules and use common sense to be a safe and successful seller. Google how to sell safely on CL. (For example, don't meet a potential buyer at night in an alley behind an urban bar.)

• eBay. But eBay is expensive and a hassle, imo, to sell from. Have to protect yourself from devious buyers and from eBay itself, which can garner money directly from your bank account if it decides on behalf of a seller in a case against you. I grow increasingly distressed with the stupidity and greed exhibited at the eBay site. They keep changing website functions and features, presumably for profit, at the expense of customers (just like Google is doing to YouTube). Sad, and short-sighted.

• Amazon. I have never sold on Amazon. Not sure of the cost and whether it would be profitable for just a private individual selling only one item.
Your A2Z adapter should sell easily in Canada, or the U.S., provided you ask a fair price. Try to sell locally, so shipping isn't required. Require safe payment by PayPal or by cash (never a check or money order), but if you meet in person use a safe, public space (as mentioned above).

You bet. I suspect I’ll like the Tesla one slightly better if for no other reason than the peace of mind that locking pin adds, and the fact that it’s made by Tesla.

On the other hand, the A2Z one works well, and I was happy to support a small Canadian business. And when I spoke with the owner on the phone, he told me that sometime in the future they will be sending to all existing owners of their adapter some sort of add-on gadget to perform the locking function. I also quite like the little drawstring storage pouch that comes with the A2Z adapter. I doubt such a thing comes with the Tesla one, and there is certainly no extra room for it in the mobile connector bag.

But I’m not sure what I’ll do with two CCS1 adapters. Maybe I’ll sell one of them at a loss. (What’s the best venue for selling Tesla things?)
Thanks a lot for your kind words. 🙏🏼 You have no idea what it means to us to have support from customers.
The add-on for the safety pin is ready, right now in production and will be shipped as promised as soon as we’re ready.
As for the performances, you’ll be surprised, we’ll let the community speak for itself right now regarding performances of both adapters.

Attachments

• AAA88974-B42C-4D34-BBDA-D1FA690DAA7F.jpeg
    AAA88974-B42C-4D34-BBDA-D1FA690DAA7F.jpeg
    429.4 KB · Views: 127
I also quite like the little drawstring storage pouch that comes with the A2Z adapter. I doubt such a thing comes with the Tesla one, and there is certainly no extra room for it in the mobile connector bag.
I'm able to fit the Tesla CCS1 adapter in my mobile connector bag. I put in it: The gen 2 mobile connector itself, a NEMA 5-15 (120V 15A) adapter, a NEMA 14-50 (240V 50A) adapter, and the CCS1 adapter. The case bulges a bit in the middle where the CCS1 adapter is but everything fits.

I am confused, why does it say Porsche.

I am not that experienced with various types of CCS1 charging equipment, and have never seen one, but maybe (and this may be obvious to others) it is a Porsche DC charging station (that would of course use CCS1 cable-plugs, like almost all non-Tesla cars). Installed (originally) to charge electric Porsche models (say at a Porsche dealership, for example), but capable of charging other brands (for a fee or maybe sometimes free?), and now certain Tesla cars with the advent of CCS1 adapters. So it would be like using a Rivian charging station, or an Electrify America location (built by VW), for that matter. The key factor may be having prior "permission" to use the station (e.g., by having an account or just being able to use a credit card).

You probably know all this, and are instead just politely wondering if it was really a Tesla being charged with a (A2Z) adapter (and not just a Taycan or something). And how did the owner get permission to charge at that site? I am sure we will hear back.

Last edited:
I am not that experienced with various types of CCS1 charging equipment, and have never seen one, but maybe (and this may be obvious to others) it is a Porsche DC charging station (that would of course use CCS1 cable-plugs, like almost all non-Tesla cars). Installed (originally) to charge electric Porsche models (say at a Porsche dealership, for example), but capable of charging other brands (for a fee or maybe sometimes free?), and now certain Tesla cars with the advent of CCS1 adapters. So it would be like using a Rivian charging station, or an Electrify America location (built by VW), for that matter. The key factor may be having prior "permission" to use the station (e.g., by having an account or just being able to use a credit card).

You probably know all this, and are instead just politely wondering if it was really a Tesla being charged with a (A2Z) adapter (and not just a Taycan or something). And how did the owner get permission to charge at that site? I am sure we will hear back.
I am confused, why does it say Porsche.
Good morning,

It states Porsche because it’s a charging station provided by Porsche to it’s customers and to other EV’s. Yes, it is open to any EV, whether it’s a customer or not.
As per your concern @tps5352 about being really a Tesla charging or not, here is a picture bellow showing the Tesla charging and the original post from the customer.

These charging stations are available and can be provided by many manufacturers. In Montreal, for example, we have a BMW dealership providing free charging to the public, it’s always open to the public.

969D8B62-0B97-46B0-83C6-0F138803DE46.jpeg6F10BB75-434C-40F3-A99C-4268076BADEB.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
You'll be able to report to us how the two compare, correct? :)
I also ended up with both.

Here's my 'design' observations (I haven't used the A2Z yet.)

A2Z is smaller and lighter. It is about 20mm less long and less wide and 146g lighter. The shape is more compact. It comes with a bag to keep it in.

The Tesla has the locking pin which makes it seem more delicate. For now we are keeping it in its box to protect the locking pin. It doesn't come with a case.

IMG_20221008_103116486_HDR.jpg

The Tesla has the locking pin which makes it seem more delicate. For now we are keeping it in its box to protect the locking pin.

I'm also a bit worried about bending or breaking the locking pin, especially its plastic tip. I made a foam ring that, hopefully, will offer some protection. I also made foam covers for the outlet ends of the 5-15 and 14-50 adapters for the mobile connector but mainly to protect those pins from damaging other things.

adapters.jpg

I'm able to fit the Tesla CCS1 adapter in my mobile connector bag.
In the post referenced above, I forgot to mention including the J1772 adapter in the bag.

charge_kit.jpg

Reactions: Bitjockey
Does the warranty get void if something happens to the car by using a third-party charging adapter?
That would all depend on what happens, and why.
It could I guess.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I've had the luxury of being able to use only genuine Tesla charging equipment for my modest needs. (Others, traveling long distances and in more out-of-the-way areas have understandably relied on beneficial third-party charging equipment.)

Despite my own personal choices, I seriously doubt that the use of a legitimate third-party charging product (as listed here and elsewhere) would under normal circumstances be grounds for voiding a Tesla warranty. (Were there a problem, I imagine that the burden would ultimately fall on Tesla to prove that an aftermarket device actually caused a specific issue.*) Logically, electric car manufacturers probably all have to accept and even depend on third-party charging equipment. Consider this analysis:

Charging a Tesla in North America at a home or a business using an AC wall outlet involves the following basic systems and mechanisms:
  1. Electrical grid, to...
  2. Circuit breaker panel, to...
  3. Individual circuit breaker, to...
  4. House wiring, to...
  5. Wall outlet/receptacle, to...
  6. Optional (upstream) adapter, to...
  7. Mobile charging connector/cable, to...
  8. Optional (downstream) adapter, to...
  9. The car's charge port, internal circuitry, (AC-to-DC) charger, and batteries.
(Substitute a Tesla or third-party wall connector with cable for Categories 5-7, if desired.)

(Leaving solar roofs and power walls out of the conversation) Tesla can have direct say so only over items it manufactures in Categories 6 through 9. But as we know, there are many, many non-Tesla products and mechanisms successfully and safely used in Categories 1 up to 8.

Similarly, charging at AC (Level 2) and DC public charging stations involves the electrical grid, third-party charging station equipment (including the dispenser, cable, and plug), optional (J1772, CHAdeMO, or CCS1) adapters, and the car's charging mechanisms. If the station is third-party (and not a Supercharger), Tesla and its drivers must already depend on at least some non-Tesla engineering (a truism).

The point is, the precedent has already been established. Electric car owners have to depend on non-Tesla equipment at some point in any overall charging procedure (admittedly least with Supercharging). In all or almost all scenarios, Tesla has to and already does depend on third-party mechanisms and services; it always has (starting with the original roadster).

I haven't read the fine print anywhere, but it seems to me that Tesla offering its own J1772, (previously) CHAdeMO, and (now) CCS1 adapters for sale is tantamount to giving official approval to third-party charging station networks and hence, by logical extension, to the use of (responsibly-made) third-party charging products in general. Let's face it; all car manufacturers tolerate and sometimes embrace aftermarket accessories and parts. (The level of toleration varies on a case-by-case basis, naturally. Tesla's alleged dissatisfaction with the original SETEC CCS1 adapter may be a case in point.)

Just as it is for NEMA 14-50 wall receptacles, interior LED lights, wheels and tires, and countless other products, it is up to the owners as to whether to rely on factory or on third-party products.** In extreme cases, where for example safety or damage is at stake, I would expect Tesla to object in some appropriate way, to a particular aftermarket product. Barring that, you are probably good to go.
_____
* Isn't there a California law that addresses this?
** I discussed here some of the factors customers may use in choosing Tesla versus aftermarket products ("...the choice of product then comes down to other factors such as..." Comment #3).

Reactions: Bitjockey
I've made several posts here:

regarding my experience using the Tesla CCS adapter at Electrify Canada and PetroCanada 350KW DCFCs.

I'm also a bit worried about bending or breaking the locking pin, especially its plastic tip. I made a foam ring that, hopefully, will offer some protection. I also made foam covers for the outlet ends of the 5-15 and 14-50 adapters for the mobile connector but mainly to protect those pins from damaging other things.

View attachment 863595

In the post referenced above, I forgot to mention including the J1772 adapter in the bag.

View attachment 863596

Did you see what @Randy-12 did here (for a different reason)?

Reactions: KevinT3141