Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Official Tesla CCS1 adaptor now available in Canada.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used the CCS adapter on my trip home from London Ontario. Its cheaper to charge at an IVY station than tesla superchargers.
IMG_5365.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5366.jpeg
    IMG_5366.jpeg
    318.2 KB · Views: 119
Get it while it last. it won't let you add it in the cart if your car require a retrofit, early 2023.
$325 CAD.
Dang…. Already has a price increase. Now CAD 340.

Reactions: DuncanM
I was already at 60% SOC when I started, so I don't think I saw numbers above 88 KW, plus it was more proving that it worked than checking the charging speed. We are off to Montreal next week, I'm planning my trip around the IVY charges instead of the tesla super chargers, I'll report back then
I tested out a 350KW charger at PetroCanada using my 2022 TM3 RWD; Charging started at 51% and 68KW, ramped up to 82KW at 54% and slowly ramped down to ~40KW at 95% when I terminated the session.

AFAIK, there's no easy way to enable battery preconditioning before charging at a non-Tesla DCFC, which means a longer ramp up in many cases.

Will the CCS adapter be much cheaper to use down in US for roadtrips or pricing is comparable to Supercharger?
In Canada the PetroCanada DCFC network is a fraction of the cost of the TSC network. If you use one of the fee per month plans, EVGO and EA can be considerably cheaper than the Tesla SCs. However, the convenience is also a big factor. In BC most small towns have a BC Hydro DCFC, and the number of DCFCs in remote areas of the USA is expanding rapidly.

We have an Arizona winter home in SE Arizona and the closest DCFC station is an EA station in Lordsburg NM. There also also a number of EA stations at Walmart based shopping centers, and it's convenient to charge and shop at the same time.

Adventures in CCS charging!

We went for a drive from Abbotsford BC to Hope BC and, while we were there, checked out the CCS charging options in Hope:

PetroCanada has two DCFCs and both were available

BC Hydro has two 22kw DCFCs and both were available

EC has 4 DCFCs and 3 were available...but there's only 3 parking stalls for the 4 available chargers, so only two were accessible! Bizarre.

When we returned from Hope we attempted to use the 350KW PetroCanada chargers at the Whatcom Rd PetroCan...both in use by two identical Kia E-Niros, and both were at 34% SOC! Anyways that probably meant a 1/2 hr wait, so we tried the BC Hydro DCF Charger on Sumas Rd and it was in use by a Bolt...so that might take hours to charge!

We moved on to the EA station at the Abbotsford Canadian Tire.

After a couple of failed tries with the app, I got a 150kw charger working via the CC reader (tap to pay) but it faulted out after about 3 minutes. I couldn't get it to go again with either connector...so I moved over to #4 (350kw) charger and it wouldn't accept payment via the CC reader, but the app worked fine and it quickly ramped up to 80kw at about 44% SOC and was still at 79kw at 78% SOC when I ended the session.

CCS charging can be a PITA!

Last edited:
Adventures in CCS charging!

We went for a drive from Abbotsford BC to Hope BC and, while we were there, checked out the CCS charging options in Hope:

PetroCanada has two DCFCs and both were available

BC Hydro has two 22kw DCFCs and both were available

EC has 4 DCFCs and 3 were available...but there's only 3 parking stalls for the 4 available chargers, so only two were accessible! Bizarre.

When we returned from Hope we attempted to use the 350KW PetroCanada chargers at the Whatcom Rd PetroCan...both in use by two identical Kia E-Niros, and both were at 34% SOC! Anyways that probably meant a 1/2 hr wait, so we tried the BC Hydro DCF Charger on Sumas Rd and it was in use by a Bolt...so that might take hours to charge!

We moved on to the EA station at the Abbotsford Canadian Tire.

After a couple of failed tries with the app, I got a 150kw charger working via the CC reader (tap to pay) but it faulted out after about 3 minutes. I couldn't get it to go again with either connector...so I moved over to #4 (350kw) charger and it wouldn't accept payment via the CC reader, but the app worked fine and it quickly ramped up to 80kw at about 44% SOC and was still at 79kw at 78% SOC when I ended the session.

CCS charging can be a PITA!
Nothing for sure can beat Tesla Supercharger. CCS would probably be handy for 1) Remote locations without Tesla Superchargers, and 2) People who Supercharge every day and want to save on $$$ in long-term.

Lots of DCFC location in BC, the problem there's only 1-2 stalls per location, only EC has at least 4 stalls.. According to BCHydro they will double the stalls in every location they have and would put DCFC along highway 37 and 97 up to the border of Yukon and NWT by 2025.. Yukon has lots of DCFC charger along their highway up to the Alaskan border. NWT has nothing yet only plans..

Reactions: DuncanM