Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Official Tesla iPhone App - What is it good for?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Start charging remotely when I need a 100% charge before a trip. I charge to 90% routinely overnight and if I need 100% I start that when I wake up and it's done just before I leave. Not just from home, that's an even better trick when plugged in at a hotel.

Thanks, vdiv, but given the in-app purchases it seems expensive. I will however keep it in mind.
It's worth the money. It also has an Apple Watch app if you have one of those. It allows you to change some things that the tesla app doesn't allow. It provides more details about car charging and range than the tesla app. Can you live without it? Of course. It is handy though.

As has been mentioned above the climate control feature is handy.

But something I've found useful is activating the app while sitting in the car to cause the car's calendar to synch with the calendar on my various Apple products.

No, this isn't a question about the 1970's song, but rather a question about the usefulness of the "Tesla" app that I just downloaded to my iPhone. What do you folks use it for?
As others have already mentioned, the official Tesla iOS app is handy for remotely turning on climate control - e.g. on a hot day as you walk back to your car parked a few blocks away. The other thing that it does is provide notifications on your iPhone for charging status (charge start/interrupted/complete) and also when there's a software updated available for your car. (but you cannot start a software update remotely from the app). If you have the official app and turn on calendar sync, if you have an appointment in your calendar with an address in the event's location field, that location shows up in your Tesla's calendar and you can tap on it to load that address into the car nav system.

Someone else mentioned the 3rd party Remote S app - I also have that, and it's useful to access your car using an Apple Watch if you have one. I use it on the watch mainly to check charging status and start climate control, without taking out my phone. The official Tesla app doesn't support Apple Watch. Remote S also shows more info all at once on the main screen, which I like, plus a handful of other unique features.

No, this isn't a question about the 1970's song, but rather a question about the usefulness of the "Tesla" app that I just downloaded to my iPhone. What do you folks use it for?
Turn on the a/c before I walk out to a scaldingly hot car after parking somewhere outside. Turn on the heat before walking out to a freezing cold car in the winter. Use that feature almost every single day. Check the state of charge.

And how can you do that with the App? Mine just work for stop charging...
Set your charge limit to 90%, wake up, about an hour before leaving (or 2 hours, depending on your charging power), set charge limit to 100% and start charging. This would minimize the time your battery sits at 100% to avoid degradation due to 100% charge level. Based on what I know, charging to 100% isn't too bad for your battery, but having it sit at 100% (especially on a hot day) is bad. I don't hesitate to do it for a a couple hours, but avoid it sitting it at 100% for half day or longer.

Reactions: vdiv