Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Official: Tesla Model Y Unveiling March 14: Cost 10% More Than Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TMC Staff

May 19, 2017
Tesla has confirmed that it will unveil the Model Y electric crossover on March 14. This highly anticipated electric car is expected to outsell the Tesla Model 3. The unveiling will take place at Tesla’s LA Design Studio. Tesla CEO Elon Musk just broke this news via Twitter. We’ve embedded his tweet directly below: Model...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2019/03/03/tesla-model-y-unveiling-set-for-march-14/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]

Identical drivetrain, slightly bigger coach/interior, 10% higher price, that should bring better margins than Model 3!

Stand by for loads of Model 3 owners to get a Model Y in stead asap. Especially the ones who didn't buy a performance one, as those were bought more for performance than utility I'm sure.
New Tesla buyers will likely opt for Model Y as it will be much more practical not having a groundbreakingly awkward letterbox and being the more popular high stance type of car.
From say 8,000/wk Model 3 by the time Model Y hits, I would not be surprised for demand to shift quickly towards 3,000 Model 3 / 7,000 Model Y.
UNLESS Tesla can find it in their heart to make Model 3 more what actual car owners actually want in a car. No omitted instrument cluster ($200 cost saving but I'd want a $2000+ discount to lose it). Hatchback for actual practicality. Estate for travel and dogs, etc. Tow hitch. WHY can't Tesla make the cars people want, but try and inspire only by omitting key elements? How many presses on the screen to open the glove box? 3 years after unveiling, it's still not a driverless taxi that needs a vault. And it will not be for at least a few more years. Design too far ahead of its time. I sincerely hope Model Y will feel more like a smaller X than a taller 3. It may end up crucial for survival.

Model 3 has been on the market for almost 2 years now and none of the customer concerns seem to have been addressed. Tesla seems very rigid. Shouldn't a startup adjust quickly to what the market tells them?

I think Model 3 will need to keep dropping in price. While adding options people will want to buy. Like an instrument cluster or HUD. It would cool, people will definitely pay up for that. They even pay up for uncomfortable wheels that make road trips last longer and louder and charging less straightforward due to increased consumption.
An estate version with proper towing capacity would really make a difference in Europe. Perhaps a shorter range one than Standard Range. Like today, Model X doesn't get a small battery, Model S does.

Model 3 as-is will not become a huge seller in Europe. Initially, sure, it will top some lists as 3 year old reservations are fulfilled. But if the Polestar 2 is more luxurious, more practical and a lower price...going Tesla will not be the default decision. And Polestar will be just one of many within 2 years time.
The new SEAT may be very compelling, as will be it's VW ID big sister. And so on...

They cannot manage the existing models delivery and service ... now they add MORE models.
They made the decision to not make service a profit center. So it's not a commercial necessity.
Most Tesla owners love to take a day off from work or hire a babysitter to hang out at a service center. That breed of loyals will thin out as Tesla grows and competition emerges doing it old school.

Model 3 as-is will not become a huge seller in Europe. Initially, sure, it will top some lists as 3 year old reservations are fulfilled. But if the Polestar 2 is more luxurious, more practical and a lower price...going Tesla will not be the default decision. And Polestar will be just one of many within 2 years time.

I would agree, except Polestar are only talking about 50k cars per annum globally. Or in other words about 2 months current production levels of Model 3. Like the Porsche Taycan, we might all want one, but most people will just buy what they can actually get delivered within a sensible timescale and that will be far more likely the Model 3 and Model Y.

I do agree that Model Y should sell much better in Europe than Model 3, but BMW, Merc and Audi do still sell a fair number of saloons in that sector. Popular as they are, not everyone wants a crossover. As a second car to my Model X, I'd probably choose the 3 over the Y, but it would be a close call.

Reactions: jboy210
Identical drivetrain, slightly bigger coach/interior, 10% higher price, that should bring better margins than Model 3!

Stand by for loads of Model 3 owners to get a Model Y in stead asap. Especially the ones who didn't buy a performance one, as those were bought more for performance than utility I'm sure.
New Tesla buyers will likely opt for Model Y as it will be much more practical not having a groundbreakingly awkward letterbox and being the more popular high stance type of car.
From say 8,000/wk Model 3 by the time Model Y hits, I would not be surprised for demand to shift quickly towards 3,000 Model 3 / 7,000 Model Y.
UNLESS Tesla can find it in their heart to make Model 3 more what actual car owners actually want in a car. No omitted instrument cluster ($200 cost saving but I'd want a $2000+ discount to lose it). Hatchback for actual practicality. Estate for travel and dogs, etc. Tow hitch. WHY can't Tesla make the cars people want, but try and inspire only by omitting key elements? How many presses on the screen to open the glove box? 3 years after unveiling, it's still not a driverless taxi that needs a vault. And it will not be for at least a few more years. Design too far ahead of its time. I sincerely hope Model Y will feel more like a smaller X than a taller 3. It may end up crucial for survival.

Model 3 has been on the market for almost 2 years now and none of the customer concerns seem to have been addressed. Tesla seems very rigid. Shouldn't a startup adjust quickly to what the market tells them?

I think Model 3 will need to keep dropping in price. While adding options people will want to buy. Like an instrument cluster or HUD. It would cool, people will definitely pay up for that. They even pay up for uncomfortable wheels that make road trips last longer and louder and charging less straightforward due to increased consumption.
An estate version with proper towing capacity would really make a difference in Europe. Perhaps a shorter range one than Standard Range. Like today, Model X doesn't get a small battery, Model S does.

The new SEAT may be very compelling, as will be it's VW ID big sister. And so on...

The Estate version would sell almost none outside of Europe. US owners hate Estates (Station Wagons) and towing a small trailer.

SUVs and Trucks we love. We like the upright seating positions, and car like Trucks give people option of throwing things in the back, even if very rarely used. The Model Y will sell very well in the US and as Tesla expects, will vastly outsell the Model 3. I assume this part of the reason the Model Y is being built in the Reno Gigafactory where taxes and wages are lower than in Fremont.

New Tesla buyers will likely opt for Model Y as it will be much more practical
Hatchback for actual practicality. Estate for travel and dogs, etc. Tow hitch.

I think Model 3 will need to keep dropping in price...
An estate version with proper towing capacity would really make a difference in Europe.
Perhaps a shorter range one than Standard Range. Like today, Model X doesn't get a small battery, Model S does.

Model 3 as-is will not become a huge seller in Europe. Initially, sure, it will top some lists as 3 year old reservations are fulfilled.
But if the Polestar 2 is more luxurious, more practical and a lower price...going Tesla will not be the default decision.
And Polestar will be just one of many within 2 years time.

For mass market in Europe and Asia, I feel that the Model 3 and Model Y are too long and pricey.
A future shorter and cheaper Model 2 about the size of a Hyundai Kona, Toyota Yaris, VW e-Golf/ID... would be a best seller.

For mass market in Europe and Asia, I feel that the Model 3 and Model Y are too long and pricey.
A future shorter and cheaper Model 2 about the size of a Hyundai Kona, Toyota Yaris, VW e-Golf/ID... would be a best seller.

That depends on your definition of "mass market". The Model 3 was never aimed at the Toyota Yaris market! It's a direct BMW 3 series, Merc C-class competitor.

It wouldn't make sense for Tesla to enter the small car market until it has the production capacity to suit. Model 3 is already stretching them and Model Y will only put even more stress on production.

• Disagree
Reactions: GreenT

Lets see ho many ways many of us disagree with you. I much prefer the M3 center cluster overs the MX/MS approach - cleaner and better visibility and we have an MX which we love so have many hours in both. Estate are around but not common in the US so much rather they focus on the MY than add variants to the M3. Glove box I will give you that one but the center cousole is better in the M3 so it offsets to a degree. I would bye a MY one day but likely as an MX replacement and then order the Tesla pickup

They made the decision to not make service a profit center. So it's not a commercial necessity.
Most Tesla owners love to take a day off from work or hire a babysitter to hang out at a service center. That breed of loyals will thin out as Tesla grows and competition emerges doing it old school.

Service most certainly is a commercial necessity. Doesn't matter how many cars you make, if owners can't get them serviced there is going to be a limited number willing to purchase. It is inevitable that a car will break down and it sure isn't disposable, so you need someplace for your customer to take it. If, like Tesla, you are unwilling to work with 3rd party shops to provide that place, you are going to need to provide it yourself.

Lets see ho many ways many of us disagree with you. I much prefer the M3 center cluster overs the MX/MS approach - cleaner and better visibility and we have an MX which we love so have many hours in both. Estate are around but not common in the US so much rather they focus on the MY than add variants to the M3. Glove box I will give you that one but the center cousole is better in the M3 so it offsets to a degree. I would bye a MY one day but likely as an MX replacement and then order the Tesla pickup

Agreed, there's a lot of personal preference here. But you reminded me that I've never even used the glove box in our MX. I guess I need to get some driving gloves next, lol!

Reactions: Fiddler
That depends on your definition of "mass market". The Model 3 was never aimed at the Toyota Yaris market! It's a direct BMW 3 series, Merc C-class competitor.

It wouldn't make sense for Tesla to enter the small car market until it has the production capacity to suit. Model 3 is already stretching them and Model Y will only put even more stress on production.

Agreed. I remember that Tesla wanted to call the Model 3 the 3 series, but BMW threatened to sue so that called the Model 3.

The pricing model for the Model 3 also follows the BMW 3 series. High end versions first, low end versions later. By that time people know the low end car is price compromise and are more likely to put up additional money to get a "real" Model 3.

Smart marketing is about customer aspirations and desires more than practicality. And is the reason the stripped BMW 3 series at $34,000 is hardly every bought, and the standard out the door price for a 3 series is around $50,000. No one wants a stripped BMW when they know for a few thousand more they can get the car they want. And once you start does that path is a short leap to move up to even pricer models.

Tesla has confirmed that it will unveil the Model Y electric crossover on March 14. This highly anticipated electric car is expected to outsell the Tesla Model 3. The unveiling will take place at Tesla’s LA Design Studio. Tesla CEO Elon Musk just broke this news via Twitter. We’ve embedded his tweet directly below: Model...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2019/03/03/tesla-model-y-unveiling-set-for-march-14/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]
Can the forum staff create a new forum section just for Model Y? It is about time since the car will be revealed wtihin two weeks.

Agreed. I remember that Tesla wanted to call the Model 3 the 3 series, but BMW threatened to sue so that called the Model 3.

I'd heard they wanted to call it the Model E (following the letter scheme, and effectively spelling out SEXY) but they settled for S3XY when Ford pitched a fit as they had routinely registered it, not used it, and it would expire. Link: Tesla drops Model E trademark, but Ford hangs on

Upon googling it, looks like Ford is now trying to come out with a "Model E" EV now. TBH it sounds to me like a Tesla knockoff name.

They cannot manage the existing models delivery and service ... now they add MORE models.
What did it take, 3 years for the model 3 after its announcement? I wouldn't worry too much for now for Y's overcrowding the SC's & superchargers. The rest of the cars? Yes, and in 3 or more years from now? yes and then the Y can add to crowding . That's the nature of exponential growth.