Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Official Tessie app talk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@James@Tessie
Been using Tessie for a few months, love all the data it provides. One thing I noticed is that Tessie tends to report higher usage on drives than what my car says. For example I drove about 130km today and my car reported a 186 wh/km and Tessie reported that as 195 wh/km. Tessie appears to be reporting about 5% higher consistently. Is there a reason for this that I am unaware of, or is it possible to adjust the wh/km to reflect exactly what the car shows?
The in-car trip calculator is fudging the energy estimate by calculating energy capacity differently than the rest of the car does. Both the car and Tessie are just providing estimates, so they're unlikely to match precisely, but Tessie isn't messing with the estimate like the car is, which is why there's that consistent gap. I'm considering applying the same logic to make them more consistent, but it's hard for me to knowingly make something less accurate just to match that trip display. Might make it an option!

• Informative
Reactions: CapsEngineer
@James@Tessie

Thanks for replying! Yeah it makes sense. Maybe this is off-topic, but out of curiosity what is the in-car app fudging? A few things I have been able to notice is that it does not factor in HVAC while stopped (or in park, but maybe it doesn't factor in HVAC at all?) It also doesn't factor in any vampire drain. Is there anything else I am missing?

@James@Tessie

Thanks for replying! Yeah it makes sense. Maybe this is off-topic, but out of curiosity what is the in-car app fudging? A few things I have been able to notice is that it does not factor in HVAC while stopped (or in park, but maybe it doesn't factor in HVAC at all?) It also doesn't factor in any vampire drain. Is there anything else I am missing?
I'm not totally sure of everything about that algorithm, as it isn't fully known to my knowledge, but the consistent gap is due to how the battery capacity is calculated. Every battery pack has a built-in buffer in order to protect the battery - usually 3-5%, which varies by year, model and battery pack size, and you can plug in an OBD device to see what yours is. Different parts of the in-car UI either take that buffer into account or ignore it completely. This buffer isn't technically considered usable, but is part of the reason why you can keep driving past 0% battery and 0 range.

Said more simply, the misalignment is caused by this weird area of 0% battery and range in the car not actually being 0 battery.

James, how come if I charge more than once a day I only can see the 1st one in the battery health screen?
Also, would it be hard to make it where we can see dates of the data points in the health screen? Maybe instead or in combo with the mileage?

Thanks and loving the app!

James, how come if I charge more than once a day I only can see the 1st one in the battery health screen?
Also, would it be hard to make it where we can see dates of the data points in the health screen? Maybe instead or in combo with the mileage?

Thanks and loving the app!
It's showing the most significant data points averaged across time and odometer distance - if there's not much time or odometer distance between the charges, or if the second charge was less than the first, it wouldn't show, as it's a less significant data point.

An over time option alongside the mileage could be a good idea. Will add that to the list!

It's showing the most significant data points averaged across time and odometer distance - if there's not much time or odometer distance between the charges, or if the second charge was less than the first, it wouldn't show, as it's a less significant data point.

An over time option alongside the mileage could be a good idea. Will add that to the list!
Understood ,and thanks for considering options

Hi. I downloaded the app, created an account, and linked the car, and then started the 14 day trial. I've since then finished charging, took a drive to a store about an hour away, returned home, and plugged in to charge again. I don't see any driving data or charging data. How long does it take for driving and charging data to be viewable?

Hi. I downloaded the app, created an account, and linked the car, and then started the 14 day trial. I've since then finished charging, took a drive to a store about an hour away, returned home, and plugged in to charge again. I don't see any driving data or charging data. How long does it take for driving and charging data to be viewable?
A minute or two after the drive or charge completes. This is really weird behavior, so please email [email protected] with your account email so I can look into it.

I don't think I've seen it work on any 2016s. I'm not sure at what point Tesla started adding the remote close capability. It's really model and region specific - so specific, in fact, it feels effectively random (from a consumer's point of view.) I'm sure there's some logic to it, but I've never found it.
Do you know of any aftermarket solution (either a combo of hardware and software or just hardware/software) to roll up a window for a 2016 Model S (North American model)?

Do you know of any aftermarket solution (either a combo of hardware and software or just hardware/software) to roll up a window for a 2016 Model S (North American model)?
I don't. I suspect a software solution isn't possible, but hardware should definitely be doable.

I’ve seen reviews/walkthroughs of the mobile app, but interested to see the desktop interface. Anyone know of a video/screenshots?
It's constantly being updated and changed, so trying it yourself is probably your best bet. Free trial works on all platforms if you want to give it a go.

There's another big update coming out for the desktop interface in a few days. :)

Any way to to pull the data from before the app was installed, I have a few days after I got the car that I did not have the app and would like to get that data into the app.
The car doesn't store past data (at least in a way that's accessible to owners), so data can only be recorded from the time you install the app. Fingers crossed that Tesla eventually allows owners to retrieve debug logs which could allow us to generate that data!

Reactions: Baluchi
I've been using TeslaFi since my '17 MS was new. Using your trial now to compare. Love the seamless interface to import its history.

I have a problem that I don't think TeslaFi or Tessie addresses and I've been using Dashboard for Tesla to address but that app is constantly crashing for a while now. That being, a customizable cabin heat monitor. Like Tesla's overheat protection on steroids. I'd love to say "keep the cabin temp in this range, checking every x minutes, except if battery is too low, and except if sleeping or at this location(s)" or similar. All customizable.

On a 95 degree day the cabin temp climbs very fast to dangerous (to car's components) very quickly. But it also effectively prevents the car from sleeping.

I know it's technically possible (or at least used to be) as Dashboard used to do this quite well. I'd guess it would be a popular feature.

Thoughts?

• Disagree
Reactions: !igs
I've been using TeslaFi since my '17 MS was new. Using your trial now to compare. Love the seamless interface to import its history.

I have a problem that I don't think TeslaFi or Tessie addresses and I've been using Dashboard for Tesla to address but that app is constantly crashing for a while now. That being, a customizable cabin heat monitor. Like Tesla's overheat protection on steroids. I'd love to say "keep the cabin temp in this range, checking every x minutes, except if battery is too low, and except if sleeping or at this location(s)" or similar. All customizable.

On a 95 degree day the cabin temp climbs very fast to dangerous (to car's components) very quickly. But it also effectively prevents the car from sleeping.

I know it's technically possible (or at least used to be) as Dashboard used to do this quite well. I'd guess it would be a popular feature.

Thoughts?
It's completely possible, but will drain the battery a lot as it will prevent it from ever sleeping, as you note, and use the climate as well.

I tend to not want to add features that allow people to shoot themselves in the foot when they forget that they have it enabled. You end up with hate mail, one star reviews, etc. because someone turns on a feature like this and then complains about battery drain. And then they complain to Tesla service, on and on.

That said, a few people have asked for something like this, and there may be a way to responsibly implement it, so I'm considering it.

I’ve seen reviews/walkthroughs of the mobile app, but interested to see the desktop interface. Anyone know of a video/screenshots?

It's pretty awesome. I'm generally on a computer all day (software dev), and so I love having car info right through a browser interface. Definitely setup a free trial yourself, but just to give you an idea, here's a few shots right from my account (I subscribe).

You have this nice dashboard, with controls, it can be customized, gives you a nice quick snapshot of the vehicle status:

1655221269326.png

All the really killer analytics:

1655221453056.png

Trip and driving metrics:

1655221518989.png

I think the web interface has complete feature parity with the native iOS app.