Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Official Thread: Cybertruck (Cybrtrk) Event - Nov 21, 2019

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well on the positive side, it proves that Tesla has no fear about taking risk and gives zero f&*ks about convention. That's a good thing and that's what it takes to be a change agent. While other truck makers are touting how they have revolutionized the tailgate, Tesla throws it all out and introduces something that only a kindergartner would have imagined.

Kudos for thinking beyond the box, having the guts to commit to making it. I hope it sells like crazy. I would never drive this abomination.

Then I wonder, how do truck/pickup truck people see it?
-for me, I did preorder 2 of the cybertruck trimotor, one for my company and one privately.
Already have a model s.
Reasons for me was:

Company reasons
*our service van do already run on overweight, and therefore have less towing capacity.
*service and running costs VS diesel service van.
*not worry about scratches in the paint.
*towing capacity.
*rear bed with lid, perfect for putting in drawers, etc, for tools. Perfect for small service jobs.

Privately:
*not worry about paint, scratches.
*towing capacity.
*6 seats.
*not afraid of wife curbing it.

So for me it was perfect, the design is also kinda cool futuristic, especially when I remember old sci-fi movies from when I was younger.

But if these reasons don't apply for truck owners, then I don't know what truck owners do with their cars, for me pickups are the same as service vans, working cars...
I have sport cars, sedans and station wagons for all other uses...

Ok...
Not everyone wants a 6.5 smooth box
Not everyone wants a 232inch vehicle
The box looks solid, how does water drain out?
Is the tailgate removable?
Can you tow a 5th wheel? Are the bed side panels too high to allow this?
Can you get the dashboard with areas that hold pens/small tools?
Is there a spare tire? Rivian has a cool looking truck, but the bed has a thin panel covering a tire... what happens when you drop a load of dirt on it? What happens when you wash it out?
Can you get it repaired quickly?
Will it come with mirrors?
What happens to that rollup lid when it is covered in snow?
What happens in the rollup lid compartment when you get snow/ice/water in there?
Is the pullout ramp optional and can it be replaced with a pullout step?
How does the 4x4 hi/low function? Is that limited to models with a motor on each wheel?
The blind spots seem rather extreme, how to the cameras handle this?

had to edit:
You can't access the bed from the side

Attachments

• Cybertruck_Unveil_17.jpg
    Cybertruck_Unveil_17.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Sorry, but I hate to see Tesla spend so much of their time and resources to make something like this. On the practical side, I know boring, I want the company to survive which means they need to sell lots of cars at a profit. I would rather have them put efforts to improve communication, service and quality. I really hope that the truck they are actually going to manufacture and sell will be a truck.

Not everyone wants a 6.5 smooth box
Not everyone wants a 232inch vehicle

Ok, i understand that part, people want vehicles with different sizes.

The box looks solid, how does water drain out?

I guess we will know that when we see it in real life, or somebody has checked it out, but not exactly critical, you can swab it out or lower/tilt the rear.

Is the tailgate removable?

That's interesting, nice if it is, but me and a couple of other friends I know never really have had the need, if it's bigger then the bed I usually use the trailer...

Can you tow a 5th wheel? Are the bed side panels too high to allow this?

I guess this is a USA only issue, as it does not exist in EU. (some are imported, but takes a lot of paperwork)
Although, it would be nice to have.
But wouldn't be any need to, because European regulations states a max limit on regular car with trailer license to 3500kg. Even less on just a car license.

Can you get the dashboard with areas that hold pens/small tools?

I'm almost certain that it will come with cup holders, and glove compartment, use that for pens, tools belong in the back...

Is there a spare tire? Rivian has a cool looking truck, but the bed has a thin panel covering a tire... what happens when you drop a load of dirt on it? What happens when you wash it out?

Well, dirt loads belongs on trailers for me, but people are different:)
But I guess it would be fine, just wait for the suspension to adjust before driving off...

Can you get it repaired quickly?
Will it come with mirrors?

I can't see why I would care about mirrors, as long as it has the cameras, both mirrors and cameras needs cleaning.
Repair times, really don't care about that much, always get a loaner. Same thing with service vans, you get a loaner and plan your jobs accordingly, and grab the tools you need with you in the loaner.

What happens to that rollup lid when it is covered in snow?

Not a problem, use a broom and take it of, do that everyday anyway with all other cars, same *sugar*, different car.

What happens in the rollup lid compartment when you get snow/ice/water in there?
Is the pullout ramp optional and can it be replaced with a pullout step?

Now, these are interesting questions.
But not so much that it would deter me from buying...

How does the 4x4 hi/low function? Is that limited to models with a motor on each wheel?

I don't understand why you would want to have hi/low, I guess we will get "buttons" similar to "slip start" etc...

You can't access the bed from the side

I know of several pickups that don't have a step on the side of the bed, so this isn't really a problem for alot of "truck people"...

I guess, if you want to see problems, you see them.
But I know of "truck people" that doesn't use the pickup as a work horse, but as a statement or "penis lengthening device", and I can see why it wouldn't appeal to them/that group...

Order placed!

Franz breaking the side windows was pretty bad, but stuff like that is expected as long as Tesla continues to prioritize engineering over media. I'm guessing the "armor", aka impact resistant, glass is for the windshield and maybe the roof.

Having stainless panels with no paint and impact resistant glass is great for Tesla insurance since it minimizes glass breakage and dent repair, and eliminates paint repair. It should also lower COGS, which is critical to expansion.

What I'd really like to see is a 3 sized vehicle along the same lines as the truck, since they might be able to get that down to about $25k.

I think it's going to be a hit if they can deliver on those specs at that price, adjusted for inflation of course. If someone wants a conventional looking truck, they can go with Rivian and maybe Ford, GM, and whoever else actually gets serious about at EVs. Albeit at much higher purchase and operating costs most likely.

I've already seen all the comments on Reddit… ugly, fugly, hideous…

So, somebody has to say this: Have you looked at current production pickups from Ford, GM and FCA? I mean trying to forget for a moment how familiar and ubiquitous they are, and really taken a step back and try to look at them objectively, as if you hadn't seen them before? I live in pickup country, rural small-town Texas, and I have to look at those abominogs all over town every day. They're tall, bulked-up with super-high hoods and massive front grilles. They're like codpieces on wheels. They look like they were designed to frighten small children.

And then I see a crew cab, long-bed, dually diesel rig pull up in front of the post office like a barge on wheels, and a housewife climbs down out of the cab, probably just dropped off her kids at school. Then I just shake my head and wonder, how did we arrive at this madness? But most people don't even blink or think twice about it, because the wretched things are everywhere now!

If you live in a world gone mad, and then somebody reveals a glimpse of sanity, of course everybody's first natural reaction is going to be: What the hell is that? That's nuts!!

Like most, I was pretty shocked by the design during the reveal and worried that Telsa missed a huge opportunity. However, after sleeping on it and looking closely at all of the pictures and specs again, it is quickly growing on me.

At the same price point that I paid for my Model 3 AWD, I think that if the Cybertruck was available when I ordered earlier this year, I would have chosen the AWD Cybertruck over my Model 3. Its not that I do not love my Model 3, but this will do everything my Model 3 will do and much more. Plus it is a utility tank.

If those price points stay, I think the Cybertruck will be very successful.

In general, you are spot on, cars are pretty ugly, Nothing more so than the large pickups out of Detroit. (Up to this year I owned one, mostly for home remodeling work.)

Strip the paint, chrome, and tires off them and they quickly look like hunks of metal, stuffed with office chairs and plastic do dads. Something the recycler might spend a thousand for and you’d be happy to get off your driveway.

But expert in marketing can be persuasive, especially since we are all so dependent on them to do our daily tasks.

It will be interesting to see how the Tesla truck does. It’s certainly different, as Elon promised. But different than what we have in my opinion is good, because pickups really could use an over hall on looks. Battery power with it’s small drivetrain accommodates all sorts of design options not afforded to ICE vehicles that need to fit around their large engine, transmission, exhaust, etc.

My guess is once BEV’s start to take over the market in a few short years, many new designs and features will come forth so that in 10 years or so, trucks look more like Tesla’s initial take at it, and a lot less like the ugly behemoths we’re stuck with today.

I placed a reservation last night, maybe an hour after the event, got a screen with a reservation number, but today still no email from Tesla, even though Apple Pay took my money.

Anyone here with in the same boat? Possibly related: I forgot to log into my Tesla account before placing the order, but I don’t see why that matters. I am assuming that once they contact me, I can associate the reservation with my existing acccount.

EDIT: 30sec after posting this I got the confirmation.
More issues:
Of course I had forgotten to log into my Tesla account before placing the reservation. So the confirmation was sent to my Apple Pay email, which Is different from the one I use for my Tesla account, so the plot thickens. It is gonna be a hassle getting this reservation merged into my account.

Last edited:
I placed my order right after the event ended. Took a bit to get on the site. I didn't log in either. I just now got an email confirmation so be patient, yours is coming.

I placed a reservation last night, maybe an hour after the event, got a screen with a reservation number, but today still no email from Tesla, even though Apple Pay took my money.

Anyone here with in the same boat? Possibly related: I forgot to log into my Tesla account before placing the order, but I don’t see why that matters. I am assuming that once they contact me, I can associate the reservation with my existing acccount.

Haha, I love all the outrage. Reminds me of the hate on Apple fan sites when they first announced the iPod.

I personally think it looks so absurd that I absolutely love it. I placed two orders for it to replace my Model 3 and Ram 1500.

99% of people might think it's fugly, but I LOVE it. It's so unique that I'd take it over a high-end Range Rover, G-Wagon, or even a supercar. Bottom line is that I'm buying it for me and not everyone else. :)
We reserved our too. Wife initially hated it, as did I, but the features look cool.