Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Official: TSLA Shareholder Meeting 2016 Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My decision to invest in ticker TSLA a few years ago was 95% based on MUSK and 5% TSLA. For shareholders, can Mr Musk assure us that he is in good health, and gets medical check-ups regularly (unexpected news would be unfortunate for MUSK & TSLA. i.e JOBS & AAPL)
In other words our only concern for your health and welfare is our financial interest?
I like this question and think that answer will be very telling for proper modeling of future profits, but am concerned that it is to blunt to be selected. Please don't take it personal, I just think that Elon publicly acknowledging abandoning the $250/kWh price and explaining why, is very unlikely.

I'd like to suggest the following edit/alternative:

"With the reveal of final pricing for Powerwall and Powerpack products on Tesla Web Site, they seem to have approximately the same gross dollar profit per the kWh of batteries used as an automobile side of the business (Model S/X). Can shareholders expect this uniformity in gross dollar profit per kWh of batteries used in Tesla Energy (TE) and Tesla Automotive (TA) to be maintained in future?"
Poor question IMO. What makes you think we have any idea of the automotive margins?
Can battery cells forautomotive applications and battery cells for Energy Storage applications be manufactured on the same production line at the GF? How long it would take to switch battery cell production over from the Energy Storage to Automotive application?
They've already answered the first question. Yes they can. How is the time to switch relevant? How frequently do you think they need to switch?

Dave said:
Does Tesla have any aspirations to get into the commercial trucking industry?
Probably need to wait until battery costs come down. In the meantime they have a pretty full plate.
When will part 2 of Model 3 reveal occur?
It will occur after the prices and energy density of batteries, and prices of sensors etc. drop enough that they can be updated on the MS-MX.

You should listen to the last conference call. Elon devoted several minutes to answering that question.
Really vague and not enough for me. And not enough for most of the investors as stock price tanked after ER. As many of the questions in this thread revolve around this, and I'm sure all of us listened to the ER CC, IMO the majority doesn't think Tesla did a good job on explaining how they are going to achieve what they claimed in the ER CC.

Reactions: Fiver
MitchJi,

My suggestion to you would be to let others ask their questions freely. There is no need for you to dislike multiple posts, nor is there any benefit from your critique of the posts of others. As DaveT has stated initially, the questions will be selected based on the number of likes. Therefore, your further input isn't necessary. I should also remind you that just because a question has been asked and answered 3 weeks ago, it doesn't mean the answer hasn't changed. Adam Jonas asks the same questions at every conference call. There is much that can be inferred based on how these seemingly redundant questions are addressed.

Really vague and not enough for me. And not enough for most of the investors as stock price tanked after ER. As many of the questions in this thread revolve around this, and I'm sure all of us listened to the ER CC, IMO the majority doesn't think Tesla did a good job on explaining how they are going to achieve what they claimed in the ER CC.
He answered the question in a very detailed fashion. I don't think he could do a much better job of explaining that. Just because the majority of the listeners, didn't pay attention, don't believe Elon, or are incapable of understanding a pretty thorough explanation doesn't mean that we should ask if again.

MitchJi,

My suggestion to you would be to let others ask their questions freely. There is no need for you to dislike multiple posts, nor is there any benefit from your critique of the posts of others. As DaveT has stated initially, the questions will be selected based on the number of likes. Therefore, your further input isn't necessary.

I should also remind you that just because a question has been asked and answered 3 weeks ago, it doesn't mean the answer hasn't changed. Adam Jonas asks the same questions at every conference call. There is much that can be inferred based on how these seemingly redundant questions are addressed.
My suggestion is to let people provide theirs feedback freely. As Dave said the questions will be chosen based on the feedback of forum members.

Given that we get very few opportunities to ask questions don't you think we should try to maximize the benefit. Do you really think that repeating the same questions is likely to generate the maximum amount of new information.

I like this question and think that answer will be very telling for proper modeling of future profits, but am concerned that it is to blunt to be selected. Please don't take it personal, I just think that Elon publicly acknowledging abandoning the $250/kWh price and explaining why, is very unlikely.

I'd like to suggest the following edit/alternative:

"With the reveal of final pricing for Powerwall and Powerpack products on Tesla Web Site, they seem to have approximately the same gross dollar profit per the kWh of batteries used as an automobile side of the business (Model S/X). Can shareholders expect this uniformity in gross dollar profit per kWh of batteries used in Tesla Energy (TE) and Tesla Automotive (TA) to be maintained in future?"

Poor question IMO. What makes you think we have any idea of the automotive margins?

We know current automotive margins and future guidance based on shareholder's letters and ERs.

What makes you think that we have no idea about the automotive margins?

He answered the question in a very detailed fashion. I don't think he could do a much better job of explaining that. Just because the majority of the listeners, didn't pay attention, don't believe Elon, or are incapable of understanding a pretty thorough explanation doesn't mean that we should ask if again.

My suggestion is to let people provide theirs feedback freely. As Dave said the questions will be chosen based on the feedback of forum members.

Given that we get very few opportunities to ask questions don't you think we should try to maximize the benefit. Do you really think that repeating the same questions is likely to generate the maximum amount of new information.

I guess I disagree with your assessment of some of the questions and I believe others may also disagree...

A few pages ago SBenson asked the question "What is the status of the Model X ramp?" which you "disliked".

In my opinion, this is a question which warrants being asked again and again until the ramp is complete. There is no question more important in the short and intermediate term. Difficulty with the ramp is the sole reason the stock price is $223 and not over $300.

• Love
Reactions: GSP and Haxster
We know current automotive margins and future guidance based on shareholder's letters and ERs.

What makes you think that we have no idea about the automotive margins?
As they relate to battery pack margins (in cars and Powerpack and Powerwall). The reason I posted that is because you thought that Tesla's packs cost them $225 per kWh. So you clearly didn't know what their automobile pack costs were.

I think it's clear that they are deliberately hiding those margins in order to conceal their battery pack costs. I am interested in the answer to the original question, which I think is more likely, and more useful than obtaining an answer to your version.

Last edited:
I was informed by Tesla Investor Relations that they will choose some of the most popular questions from this specific thread to ask Elon at the shareholder meeting

Thanks for taking this on.

Would it be possible for you or someone attending the shareholder meeting to note (as a post on this thread) which, if any, of these questions gets asked... and Elon's replies? Thanks!

Thanks for taking this on.

Would it be possible for you or someone attending the shareholder meeting to note (as a post on this thread) which, if any, of these questions gets asked... and Elon's replies? Thanks!

Anything answered and discussed during the meeting will most surely be reported and dissected in detail on this forum, don't worry :)

Also note that Tesla themselves have had a live stream from the meeting in 2014 and 2015, which can be found on ir.teslamotors.com. I haven't found any such link yet though for 2016, but I'm assuming they will have a live stream this year too?

the only aspect of the model 3 that appears to have received a mixed reception rather than an enthusiastic one are the aesthetics of the front of the vehicle. though I think it is probable you could sell a million model 3 per year with the design as is, placing it at the top of sales of all vehicles, would you consider the following option: offer the Model 3 with multiple pairings of front fascia and headlight designs (understandably not necessarily at the earliest stages of it's rollout). that is, the existing design option for those whom it meets their taste, and one or two alternative headlight/fascia pairings for those who have different tastes.

this is no knock on the current design. it is the rare design that meets the taste of the overwhelming majority of people. some people simply like an "aggressive" look, some simply wouldn't buy a vehicle with such a look (and likewise for many aesthetic choices). the simple solution seems to be to let the consumer buy the game changing Model 3 drivetrain and the choice of aesthetic which pleases them.

I'll add that 1) for all the other automakers it takes many many billions of dollars spent on 5 to 10 vehicle models to reach several million vehicle per year volumes, so simply spending the money on multiple fascia/headlight options would allow Tesla to get to millions of volume per year remarkably cheaply, 2) the world's current number one selling vehicle (the Toyota Carolla, at ~1.2 million per year) offers these kinds of multiple versions (though Toyota has decided by market which version is sold rather than individual consumer choice), 3) why give critics of Tesla an opening to conflate a critique of design with the clear accomplishment of the Model 3 drivetrain as they've done with the Toyota Prius, (using the suggestion of a displeasing design as part of the campaign to dismiss the choice of greener vehicles). it's harder to rant about "those #$%* ugly Model 3s everywhere" when there is a version of the vehicle that matches just about all tastes.

Last edited:
I guess I disagree with your assessment of some of the questions and I believe others may also disagree...

A few pages ago SBenson asked the question "What is the status of the Model X ramp?" which you "disliked".

In my opinion, this is a question which warrants being asked again and again until the ramp is complete. There is no question more important in the short and intermediate term. Difficulty with the ramp is the sole reason the stock price is $223 and not over $300.
It's fine if you disagree. But it's a pretty big leap from disagreeing with me to telling me to stop giving feedback.

Two reasons for my "dislike " on the X ramp:
There is no option to "disagree", which I have previously requested from the moderators.

IMO it's a complete waste of time to ask that question. The last time they posted numbers they described the state of the X ramp, even though that's not a venue where they normally do that. IMO the chances that they won't cover that in detail prior to receiving that generic question are almost zero.

Also note that Tesla themselves have had a live stream from the meeting in 2014 and 2015, which can be found on ir.teslamotors.com. I haven't found any such link yet though for 2016, but I'm assuming they will have a live stream this year too?

Here's the info on the meeting and livestream:

What: Tesla 2016 Annual Meeting

When: Tuesday, May 31, 2016, at 2:00 p.m., Pacific Time

Where: Computer History Museum located at 1401 N. Shoreline Blvd., Mountain View, CA 94043

The meeting will also be livestreamed on www.teslamotors.com/2016shareholdermeeting.

Has the Board discussed/begun succession planning work in view of Elon's previously-announced intention to step down after Model 3?

fwiw, Elon has previously announced that he will take a fresh look at whether being the CEO of two companies makes sense when the Model 3 reaches volume production, he has not said he intends to step down.

Anything answered and discussed during the meeting will most surely be reported and dissected in detail on this forum, don't worry :)

Here it is:
2016 Shareholder Meeting | Tesla Motors

• Helpful
Reactions: GoTslaGo and Johan