Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Official: Upcoming Model S Price Increase & Timeline

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I got through on my computer at home. Here's the text of the announcement:

IS IT TRUE THERE WILL BE A MODEL S PRICE INCREASE IN THE NEAR FUTURE?
nkinkaid@teslam... | NOVEMBER 20, 2012
Yes, we will be announcing a Model S price increase in the near future. However, there are a few very important points to understand about the upcoming price increase:

The price increase will not apply to anyone with an existing reservation prior to the effective date of the price increase and who also configures their car and finalizes their order within a fair, predefined timeframe.
There will be a few "options package" changes as part of the price increase (meaning some things that are currently considered standard equipment may become part of an optional package going forward). These changes will not apply to anyone with an existing Model S reservation prior to the effective date of the price increase who also configures their car and finalizes their order within a fair, predefined timeframe.
All reservation holders who have "deferred" will receive an email regarding the price increase and will have the opportunity to keep current pricing and options packages by finalizing their configuration and order within a fair, predefined time frame, similar to those who did not defer.
This price increase is planned to be announced with full details, effective dates, pricing and options packages in the next two to three weeks. We are starting to hear rumors about "a price increase coming soon" and want to assure current reservation holders that the price increase will not affect them as long as they configure and finalize their order within a fair, predefined time frame after being invited to configure their Model S. If a test drive is all that is holding you back from configuring your car, please make an appointment at a Tesla store near you.

I sure hope they don't raise the price to where i can't afford it. I'm not in a position to finalize right now and it will be a few more months before I am. This is really disappointing.

I sure hope they don't raise the price to where i can't afford it. I'm not in a position to finalize right now and it will be a few more months before I am. This is really disappointing.

"Model S reservation prior to the effective date of the price increase who also configures their car and finalizes their order within a fair, predefined timeframe."

It doesn't seem like they intend to screw you on this. I'm pretty sure you'll be able to get your "few more months."

"Model S reservation prior to the effective date of the price increase who also configures their car and finalizes their order within a fair, predefined timeframe."

It doesn't seem like they intend to screw you on this. I'm pretty sure you'll be able to get your "few more months."

Given that they said "All reservation holders who have "deferred" will receive an email regarding the price increase and will have the opportunity to keep current pricing and options packages by finalizing their configuration and order within a fair, predefined time frame, similar to those who did not defer."

I'd guess that the fair and reasonable timeframe is 30 days from when the send the price increase notice. I only just got the finalize email last week, so I haven't done anything with it yet.

Fisker did this in December 2011 - there was such a backlash by deposit holders of them 'bullying' customers into locking in their orders, that they ultimately extended the grace period until March 2012. I personally am not a fan of this - after selling cars for just a month or two, they're going to raise prices? Give people a chance to get more word of mouth data on the car and then raise the price if need be (9+ months of deliveries).

Why? The X pricing has never even been released. How would you know if it goes up or not?
Because the Model X was announced to be about the same price as a similar Model S. Presumably the Model X when it comes out will be about the same price as a Model S at that point. With the price increase it will be higher than when the Model X was announced. Or not. Perhaps they'll offer a lower price to early reservationists. Or not.

Wonder what more they can strip out of the barebones 40 kWh sub-$50K car... Or, is that price level not going to hold anymore?!

I'd expect not. The 40 kWh car has to have the lowest profit margin of all the versions. Tesla needed to come out with that price to keep Elon's promises but they successfully did that and now they need to be realistic. If 40 kWh cars have about 20% of the sales then that means that they are willing to take a margin hit on only 2500 to 3000 cars.

And I still think it had something to do with the price increase on aluminum.

My guess would be $2500 increase on each base model. That's about 5%.

In general, aren't there price increases every model year? They're honoring the quoted price on all current reservationists AND new ones up to the point they announce the change. That's going to be something like 15k cars at the original price and well into 2013.

If you have a reservation, what's there to worry about?