Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Official USB c for center console?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been to the service center several times, and asked about a USB C adapter for my center console that replaces the lightning one that came with my model s. No one seems to know if they even exist. Has anyone successfully had an official one installed? I know there are some non official ones out there but I'm curious.

Discussion of the lack of official support and DIY options here - USB-C connector for premium front console - no plans to release

You can also shim up the bottom of the connector so that it sticks out a bit further and helps for phones in cases (Android or iPhone) - Modifying the Tesla Center Console for phones in cases (Pictures Included)

I used one of these cables for my Nexus 6P - Amazon.com: (2-PACK)Type C Cable,USB 2.0 Type C to Type A, SinLoon Angled Type C (USB-C) to Left & Right Angle USB A (2.0) Male to Male Data Sync and Charging Cable for Type-C Supported Devices(USBA-C L R): Computers & Accessories

I had to shave away some of the surrounding plastic on the USB-C connector and shim underneath it to clear my case. One of the screw holes had stripped, so I added a little epoxy to the screw hole.

I bought this and had to shave it down for it to fit through the hole.

Attachments

• IMG_4134.PNG
    IMG_4134.PNG
    520.9 KB · Views: 257
I ordered the "Model 3" USB C cable from the Tesla site, and it just arrived today. I'll check it out tonight when I go home, but I'm almost certain it's identical to the microUSB from my X's original dock, so I'm sure it will fit fine.

Attachments

• 20170807_101807.jpg
    20170807_101807.jpg
    449.9 KB · Views: 171
  • 20170807_101815.jpg
    20170807_101815.jpg
    414.8 KB · Views: 166
I've been to the service center several times, and asked about a USB C adapter for my center console that replaces the lightning one that came with my model s. No one seems to know if they even exist. Has anyone successfully had an official one installed? I know there are some non official ones out there but I'm curious.
Someone just got one for Model 3. Same compatibility.

• Informative
Reactions: fasteddie7
I ordered the Model 3 USB C cable from Tesla and installed it today in my Model X and it worked great. The only annoyance is that the USB end does not match the original 90 degree angle and is straight. However, it works and my Windows Phone is now able to charge even in a large case.