Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Official word from Tesla (GeorgeB) on the vanity mirror light and rear reading lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Someone with a Roadster in Portland is renting it via a new carshare program called Getaround---$50 p/hr and if you pickup a flyer you can get $25 off. $25 in a Roadster for an hour sounds pretty good, but then again free Bonnie might be better.

The Getaround car is owned by Getaround itself... the guy who manages the rentals locally is really easy to work with.
Definitely worth the $50/hour, and $25 an hour would make it sweet.
And you get to drive it.

I mentioned this in the other thread, which means it's lost in the noise now.

Given Tesla's iterations, I think they're in need of a way to communicate changes in progress or changes expected. For example, is anyone getting the car now made aware of the coming changes? If I'm sitting in a display model in a store, how do I know if it matches what I'd be getting? A sheet of paper or some such detailing what's changed with each "release" of the car would be useful. When a reviewer does a long term review and looks at the interior in detail, that same piece of paper can show them what's being addressed so they don't go off ranting about something being addressed.

The most significant part for me is I want to know what I'm getting when I have to lock down.

I mentioned this in the other thread, which means it's lost in the noise now.

Given Tesla's iterations, I think they're in need of a way to communicate changes in progress or changes expected. For example, is anyone getting the car now made aware of the coming changes? If I'm sitting in a display model in a store, how do I know if it matches what I'd be getting? A sheet of paper or some such detailing what's changed with each "release" of the car would be useful. When a reviewer does a long term review and looks at the interior in detail, that same piece of paper can show them what's being addressed so they don't go off ranting about something being addressed.

The most significant part for me is I want to know what I'm getting when I have to lock down.

You're right on... it's tough as nails to know exactly what you're gonna get.
Even recent reviews posted are using 2-year-old photos and stock images from Tesla Motors' web site. The showroom demo cars are much closer, but still not final.
Jumping into a 1.0 of anything is risky, and even more so for 5- or 6-figures of cash.
It's going to be a personal decision for each one of us, how much we're willing to go on faith that the car will delight us as we expect.

I've got faith enough. I'd drive out of the showroom with VIN#50 if they'd sell it to me. Well, if it had the pano roof... :)

Given Tesla's iterations, I think they're in need of a way to communicate changes in progress or changes expected. For example, is anyone getting the car now made aware of the coming changes?

I agree wholeheartedly to this, whether the communication is strictly via email to reservation holders past the configuration phase, or more broadly posted to the Tesla blog.

However, since my delivery was quoted for October, perhaps I shouldn't be made aware of any minor nits that are in the process of being sorted out prior to that delivery date as they aren't a major change to whatever the spec was on the date the agreement was signed?

Unfortunately I don't think they are tracking the date of each individual's agreement signing with the timing of tweaking various components of the vehicle being delivered to the end of the assembly line.

Is that a bad thing? Probably not.

How often do you ask the staff at a fine restaurant for up-to-the-minute updates on the status of your order, to ensure that ingredients / cooking style / presentation hasn't changed?

If you answered "more frequently than once per ice age", perhaps Tesla needs to add a "keep me up to date on ever niggling little detail" option on your online profile.

Otherwise, I'd say to not complain about the meal until it is delivered to your table!

Even recent reviews posted are using 2-year-old photos
There's a lesson to learn out of this one.

For future prototype photos -- I'm looking at you X and Bluestar -- they should add a very large, clear date-stamped watermark to the image. That way, when a reputable publication uses the image 2-3 years later the public will embarrass them in the comments and hopefully shame them into getting current with their photo usage.

Especially a car where every time, every single frickin' time, when you press the accelerator, the hand of God swoops down and gives you an extra boost.

All we need now is the other hand to make lifting up on that accelerator deliver the same quantity of regen that Roadster has, instead of the anemic regen the test drive cars have. At least for the 85 kWh cars, which shouldn't have issues with maximum C factor. Hey, make it a user customizable mode if you're scared it'll turn EV newbies off.

Yeah, I'm a curmudgeon today, sorry.

In a related item, I stopped by the local Tesla store on my way home this evening. VIN 48 was there. The interior on that car is a mixed bag. The ambiance lighting in the doors is very cool, and the arm rest is comfortable. Still needs a door pocket, of course. The center mirror with its thin chrome frame was elegant - really. However, the perforated plastic cover (for microphone/speaker?) in the headliner over that elegant mirror was really cheap looking and had undulating gaps. The bar in the pano roof didn't have the cover, and it was truly amazing how much better that is than what is in the test drive cars. I so much want the pano roof to be like this Beta car instead of the test drive RC cars. I still feel like the dashboard has too much cheap looking chrome trim for a "premium" vehicle. My end take was that given the right attention to fit and some material changes, the interior could be passable.

If I'm sitting in a display model in a store, how do I know if it matches what I'd be getting? A sheet of paper or some such detailing what's changed with each "release" of the car would be useful. When a reviewer does a long term review and looks at the interior in detail, that same piece of paper can show them what's being addressed so they don't go off ranting about something being addressed.

You cannot both want Tesla to refine the car as fast as possible and OTOH know the result in 3 months advance. No way. I just want to point out that contradiction.

Now for your sheet of paper, that sounds like release notes for Tesla Model S V1.0, iteration 31 - describing the differences to iteration 30. Problem is, you will not know how many iterations are made before your car is built and what gets changed in these. While most people would be happy if features are added at no additional cost, all the whining started when Tesla removed a feature they were not happy with to improve it. I don't know how that would read in that piece of paper? Please come up with a suggestion that would not upset customers and/or car journalists.

Originally Posted by GeorgeB
Hi everyone,

First of all, thanks to everyone throughout this thread who had faith in us that we were doing the right thing. Your support is always greatly appreciated.

So, what’s going on… This thread started as the result of a change to our website specs page and a response from one of the Tesla Team about rear seat reading lights and the desire to increase visibility for tall customers. The following highlights exactly what we’ve been working on.

The beta Lighted Vanity Visor that first showed up in Model S was not acceptable to us from an appearance, function or size standpoint. So we rejected it and immediately started working on another version. In the meantime, we started delivering cars. We did not want to be delivering cars without Lighted Vanity Visors when our webpage specs said otherwise…so we changed the specs page to be more accurate at that moment in time.

The removal of 2nd Row Reading lights from the specs page is also an “accuracy of the moment” issue. We removed these from the specs page because we were working on another initiative that might impact what type of light we could use in the back seat for a reading light. Basically, we found a way to potentially add a few millimeters of additional headroom in the back seat. As part of that initiative, we didn’t know for sure if we would be able to use the same light fixture, or even the same type of reading light going forward…so we deleted it from the specs page to be more accurate at the time.

Both of these issues are temporary issues, and for those of you who have been following us for a while, you know how we operate. When something doesn’t meet our expectations, we dive right in to fix it. We work hard to find the best solution possible, then we implement it. We try to keep all information as up to date as possible, but in today’s world, that sometimes causes problems from a communication standpoint. Nevertheless, we always feel as though it is better to be as accurate and up to date as possible, even if it makes things a little tougher for us from time to time.

You will soon see another change to our specs page. You will see the addition of 2nd Row Reading Lights. We have been able to accomplish what we set out to do with the rear seat headroom, and will be able provide reading lights in the same place as originally planned. We focused first on the headroom adjustment because that is more complicated within the car itself, then we focused on the lights and placement. To avoid any further questions about what will happen next, let me be perfectly clear... there will be a few early cars delivered that do not have 2nd Row Reading Lights. However, we will be happy to install them in the future (at no charge of course). The wires are already in place so this is not a major event.

You will not see the Lighted Vanity Visor back on the specs page for a little while longer because we are still working on getting the form factor and functionality exactly the way we want it. It will be lighted, it will have a mirror, and it can easily be retrofit into all cars. In fact, we will be encouraging everyone to get the retrofit.

So just to be clear, all cars that get delivered are set up to have reading lights in 2nd row seats and Lighted Vanity Visors. Those that don’t have the latest and greatest when they receive their car can have these items retrofit at no additional cost.

I hope this helps clear up all questions regarding this issue. Please understand, we are very, very serious about everything that goes into Model S. We are doing all we can to make every millimeter count while still listening to what our customers and future customers want. We are going to have lights in the right places, a shelf that was asked for by customers in the console area, and a lighted visor mirror that you can look into and smile. And when all is said and done, that is what we are really striving for…you smiling.

GeorgeB

What a wonderful great response from George B and TM. This is what sets Tesla apart from other automobile manufacturers. This is what sets Elon Musk apart from the CEOs of other companies. My wife and I are grateful that TM responded to our and other customers concerns so promptly. We were devastated that we would have to cancel after waiting all these years. Well, we are confirming our "Build your Tesla email" today and now we can hardly wait to get the car. Personally I don't see any shortcomings in the car now. There will always be some features which can be added later.

For future reference, if there had been a better line of communication from TM regarding these features I and and others like me wouldn't have been venting our frustrations over these issues on this and the other forums. But hey, that is in the past as GeorgeB put it, we have a Tesla smile on our faces today!

The first two posts in this thread already have the entire contents of George's post.

I'm glad people are happy but I'm already weary of it being repasted 20x in every thread. Perhaps the mods can nuke the duplicates.

Sig 692/Vin 00495 received my Model S on 11/2/2012..."same old original mirrors that people complained about..."

Had my first visit to Menlo Park Service Center last week to get some of my punch list items addressed but Mirrors are still MIA!

At least I have a "Model S" ensignia on my trunk now and a Cubby in the center console area!!!! Progress!

For those of you who now have your cars, what's the status on the vanity mirror? Has Tesla upgraded these or are they the same old original mirrors that people complained about?
My car rolled off the line exactly a week ago and we have the cubby but no lighted mirrors. Wife is currently liking the mirrors (doesn't really wear makeup) so we may not get the retrofit when offered - depends on what it looks like.