Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Official word from Tesla (GeorgeB) on the vanity mirror light and rear reading lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have been trying to keep a running list of things we've been promised/told are coming/be retrofitted and not cost us money. Here is what I have so far:

- Visors with lighted vanity mirrors
- Rear reading lights retrofit
- Sunshades for panorama roof

I'm also not including due bill items (parcel shelf, carbon fiber spoiler, etc.). is there anything I am missing?

So I have been trying to keep a running list of things we've been promised/told are coming/be retrofitted and not cost us money. Here is what I have so far:

I'm also not including due bill items (parcel shelf, carbon fiber spoiler, etc.). is there anything I am missing?

Are you working without a net?

Fog lights for those who ordered their car while they were still on the specs but got their car delivered without them

What about the front defroster vent retrofit: is that something everyone gets, or do you have to live in a 'cold' climate?
There are 2 seperate items regarding the defroster vents. 1) a software update coming in 4.5 is going to improve the 'defroster' airflow settings and 2) the hardware vent improvement. You are referring to #2. It was probably free for those living in Canada or really cold climates as it's more of a safety issue there, and they probably needs some real 'beta' testers to confirm their cold weather package works. They got it for free I think. I don't know if they are still doing that. Any hardware change for that from here on out is probably only going to be via the cold weather package and not a free retrofit.

I got my car on March 6th and there are rear lights. Did you get a car without those?

Other items promised that we're still waiting on - access to music storage device & wifi. Hardware is already included for those AFAIK though, so no retrofit needed.

My boss's Model S that came yesterday had the rear reading lights, they are pretty sick.

By saying 'they are pretty sick' I am wondering if the rear lights in my car are the same as what you are seeing. I mean lights are lights...I wouldn't call them 'sick' ... I should take a pic and post to see if mine are the same as what you have seen.

Are you working without a net?

Oh, speaking of that. The car not coming with a cargo net in the frunk is annoying. I know we've not been promised that item, but still it seems cheap not to have it come standard on every Model S.

What about the front defroster vent retrofit: is that something everyone gets, or do you have to live in a 'cold' climate?

I asked my local service center about it, and you can request the retrofit but they seem to be in very short supply.

I got my car on March 6th and there are rear lights. Did you get a car without those?

Other items promised that we're still waiting on - access to music storage device & wifi. Hardware is already included for those AFAIK though, so no retrofit needed.

I have the rear reading lights, but I could swear that it was stated somewhere that the initial iteration of the lights were not up to snuff and that they were going to be replaced.

Last edited:

Tesla is delivering all cars without the defroster vent retrofit. The Canadian service team replaces them automatically as part of the PDI.

- - - Updated - - -

My car (delivered in December) had those from the get-go.

Funny story - a passenger asked if those things on the ceiling were cameras? I told him to stick his finger in it. (I was almost surprised when he complied.) "Oh!"

I just received my defroster retrofit today. Ironically, I have not had a fogging issue, except in the little window on the driver's door.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368163604.474905.jpg

I just received my defroster retrofit today. Ironically, I have not had a fogging issue, except in the little window on the driver's door.View attachment 21774
What's that blue light at the base of where the windshield meets the windshield wipers. Will that help to defrost faster? Is that Martian or would that be red so that must be from Venus? :wink:

Has anyone seen these at all? I certainly don't have them. And my sun visors are, well, they're OK in the front, but it's physicallly impossible to rotate them to the side window (I'm short, the driver's seat is far forward).

I'm not sure what was supposed to be changed on these. On mine here are two "button lights", one on each side, just like the button lights in the front. Can anyone point me to more information?

- - - Updated - - -

I just received my defroster retrofit today. Ironically, I have not had a fogging issue, except in the little window on the driver's door.

That would be the retrofit, same one I got. It has eliminated fogging problems, which I did have before. (I can't be sure about frosting problems until next winter, of course.) I was told that it is "free for people who ask for it", as well as being pre-installed in Canadian cars. I suppose they don't want to overwork their service centers giving it to people in Arizona who don't need it. It does have a bit of a reflection on the windshield so some people might not want it.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and regarding the sunvisors, I'm kind of curious what they're going to replace them with, because the current ones are wrapped with the headliner material I'm allergic to. (Accordingly, I leave them in the same position most of the time and move them using a tissue...)

As many of us have been patiently awaiting the replacement visors with lighted led mirrors for around a year now, I pinged Jerome G to get an update.
I had emailed ownership about a month ago, but got a very noncommital response. Here is Jerome's response...
"Unfortunately, the lighted sunvisors are not currently under development. We continue to develop features for the Model S (e.g., parking sensors were released in August, power folding mirrors a few weeks ago), but lighted sunvisors are not on the development roadmap at the moment. We tried several possibilities, but none was satisfactory. If your Model S still has the “plastic” mirrors, please contact Nick in Norristown (where I believe your car is typically serviced) to have the sunvisors replaced with ones with actual mirrors."

I then replied asking if Tesla was backing away from George B.s commitment. Here is his response to my followup question....
"I am sorry about this, but the lighted mirrors are not in the current development plans. I understand your disappointment. Please be certain that we are working super hard to bring as many improvements as possible to the Model S. There have been several firmware updates, including the most recent one with wi-fi and there are many more on the way, including a most advanced navigation system. All of these firmware updates are provided to all existing customers. When it comes to hardware changes, we have many projects to juggle with (at the same time we are working full speed on Model S). I wish we could work on all projects at once, but we simply do not have the resources to do so.

Thank you for your understanding!"

Sounds pretty noncommital as well. Very disappointing. He did offer for me to take my car to the SC and get the plastic mirrors replaced with glass ones.

Every time I see a posting of a Jerome email, and when I think about the one or two I've gotten from him, and then I think about his talk at TESLIVE . . . I find it harder and harder to believe the emails are coming from the same person who spoke at TESLIVE.