Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Official word from Tesla (GeorgeB) on the vanity mirror light and rear reading lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, I'm really starting to feel like Elon is starting to take us in North America a bit for granted and now switching all priorities to the European market.
:(

Elon stated several times during his visit to Europe that the German market is important for Tesla. What should he be saying during his visit here? Nothing else to be expected. German car manufacturers are very mature competition in upscale cars. If Tesla "can make it there, they'll make it anywhere". Germans love their car companies (BMW, Audi, Mercedes). Lexus is having a hard time here. Sales are miniscule (129 units in Sept. 2013,
source: KBA Monatliche Neuzulassungen)

Tesla model S is expensive here, but worth it. We have plenty of solar power. At times we need to pay someone to take it off our necks. So why not put it in a car battery (as Elon suggested in a recent TV interview).

In Germany we do not yet have any superchargers. Only way to sell Model S in Germany will be the way Tesla is going: introduce a network of SCs, make sure build quality stays up, optimize the car for Autobahn speeds. Then and only then Tesla has a chance of making their stake in the German market.

My background: Ordered my second Model S yesterday, previous car a Lexus.

I then replied asking if Tesla was backing away from George B.s commitment. Here is his response to my followup question....
"I am sorry about this, but the lighted mirrors are not in the current development plans. I understand your disappointment. Please be certain that we are working super hard to bring as many improvements as possible to the Model S. There have been several firmware updates, including the most recent one with wi-fi and there are many more on the way, including a most advanced navigation system. All of these firmware updates are provided to all existing customers. When it comes to hardware changes, we have many projects to juggle with (at the same time we are working full speed on Model S). I wish we could work on all projects at once, but we simply do not have the resources to do so.

Thank you for your understanding!"

Sounds pretty noncommital as well. Very disappointing.

You're injecting to much hope into the reply by saying Jerome is non-commital on the vanity mirrors. I read it as saying "We're not going to be making them. Thanks for being understanding."

To be honest, I don't care about the vanity mirrors but I do think that Tesla is going through growing pains and they need to be careful about living up to their previous promises.

So if Tesla is walking away from lighted vanity mirrors, does that mean that originally when they planned to do this, did they pre-wire the visors? If we were so inclined, could we find a power source in the visor for our own light or other electronic gizmo in the visor? Perhaps stick a lcd in the visor for a front parking camera?

So if Tesla is walking away from lighted vanity mirrors, does that mean that originally when they planned to do this, did they pre-wire the visors? If we were so inclined, could we find a power source in the visor for our own light or other electronic gizmo in the visor? Perhaps stick a lcd in the visor for a front parking camera?

There is apparently a 12v dongle up in the compartment with the microphones (headliner above rear-view mirror). Some are tapping in here for things like dash cams. My initial thought is that it was there for the visor lights. Given the stance on lighted visors, I wouldn't be surprised if the wire is no longer being installed on later cars.

There is apparently a 12v dongle up in the compartment with the microphones (headliner above rear-view mirror). Some are tapping in here for things like dash cams. My initial thought is that it was there for the visor lights. Given the stance on lighted visors, I wouldn't be surprised if the wire is no longer being installed on later cars.

I thought I had read somewhere on here that it wasn't installed anymore.

I thought I had read somewhere on here that it wasn't installed anymore.

Well it's def there for me right there in the middle. VIN 05837

ynapu9a3.jpg