Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Oh boy the 12V battery message

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got up this morning went into Model S and got that message 12v needs replacing.
Strange, only have 4700 miles on it, 2018 Oct delivery. Only thing I can figure is that we went on a cruise and it didn’t get driven for about 10 days. But was driven this past week every day for work with no warning.
Definitely doesn’t sound normal, could that message be for real?

Got up this morning went into Model S and got that message 12v needs replacing.
Strange, only have 4700 miles on it, 2018 Oct delivery. Only thing I can figure is that we went on a cruise and it didn’t get driven for about 10 days. But was driven this past week every day for work with no warning.
Definitely doesn’t sound normal, could that message be for real?

Once the voltage drops below the threshold, the error won't go away until you do a firmware reinstall or update. If the error comes back after, then you have a faulty 12V.

That is awfully soon. Mine took almost 2 years to get the warning, but we were in Europe for 2.5 months during that time frame, which likely exacerbated the issue. It's covered under warranty and a fairly easy fix by a mobile service guy.

Tesla will want to take a look at your car to see if it is the battery that is failing, or if there might be something in the charging system.

Can be handled either by taking it in or asking for a ranger.

Don't put it off. Heed the warning.

Once the voltage drops below the threshold, the error won't go away until you do a firmware reinstall or update.
Once when I had a 12V that needed replacing it would not update the firmware. Tech support told me that the car would not update the firmware as long as it had the error message (ie until the battery was replaced).

Perhaps there is another way to clear the battery warning?

Is there any way to request a ranger? I work in an OR, so I would have to schedule a day off and that's hard to do on short notice.
I went ahead and scheduled through the app and wrote that in the comment. Don't know if that does anything.

Is there any way to request a ranger? I work in an OR, so I would have to schedule a day off and that's hard to do on short notice.
I went ahead and scheduled through the app and wrote that in the comment. Don't know if that does anything.
In my area (where they have Rangers) they will try to use those first. So I suspect if there are rangers in your area you would get one to do the 12V battery swap.